PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 18-36 - any experience?

Prashun Patel
12-27-2017, 1:59 PM
<p>
I am considering upgrading to this lathe. It comes available in 110v, which would be good for me. Is there a compelling reason to choose 220 over 110?&nbsp;</p>
<p>
Also, how easy are the belt changes when going from low to high speed ranges?</p>
<p>
Last, how do you find the torque at lower speeds?&nbsp;</p>
<p>
I turn green bowls, so roughing larger, heavy blanks at low speed is a something I would like to handle easy.&nbsp;</p>
<p>
I am also considering the Grizzly G0733</p>

Roger Chandler
12-27-2017, 5:17 PM
John Keeton did a great review on the Laguna Revo 18/36, and he loves his. 220V is not hard to setup. You can do it with the same wiring on your 115V. Provided it is at least 14/2 with ground. Just swap out the breaker at the panel [turn off the main first!!!]. Then wire the black and white to one side of the receptacle [the brass colored screws], then ground wire to ground screw on the receptacle. Wire the white and black to hot on the breaker, then the ground to the ground bar in the panel box. Turn the main back on.
The G0733 is also a great lathe, and has more distance between centers...47” and would be great for spindle work if you turn table legs/bed posts, baulisters, etc. Same 18” swing as the Laguna Revo 18/36, but you will save about $600-$800 and get just as good performance. The Laguna Revo does have a handwheel, but I learned to do just fine without one on my 18/47 G0698, and you can always make one for it out of wood, if you really want a handwheel.....There is a write-up in the GGMG threads on how to do it.

Adam Petersen
12-27-2017, 5:39 PM
I do not have any direct experience with the Laguna, but I did look one over at Woodcraft this weekend in KC. That thing made me covet my neighbor's lathe, so to speak. I loved that I could just spin the wheel on the tailstock and it would keep going. I tried moving it and it didn't budge. I moved the banjo and tool rest around and they were silky smooth yet solid. Coming back to my Nova made me want to start pinching pennies and save up for a Laguna.

Prashun Patel
12-27-2017, 7:05 PM
Thanks guys. Roger, do you find torque problems with the grizzly at low speeds? The Laguna goes a little slower, which I appreciate for sanding. Do you find the griz to do all you want at low speeds?

Roger Chandler
12-27-2017, 7:17 PM
Prashun......I have turned on 11 different PM 3520b units to date.....several Jets, a Robust American Beauty, a Serious SL2542 [monster indeed!] and numerous other lathes..

Believe me when I say this......you can core with the Grizzly lathes! My current G0766 is 3 hp, and the G0733 is 2 hp like the 3520b's. For the same money and basic footprint, you can get the 3 hp 22" swing G0766, but I thought you liked the 18" swing size. I have cored with my former 2 hp G0698 with D/C servo motor, and now with my 3 hp G0766.
I did a coring demo on a 3520b back in October for one of our clubs in the area........my G0766 has more power than our clubs 3520b! That being said, on coring [likely the most taxing thing you will do related to torque, I stalled that Robust American Beauty 3 hp, and have stalled my G0766 and the 3520b, so what I'm saying is the power is there, but one can stall any lathe!

My G0766 goes down to 60 rpm, which is basically too slow to do anything at that speed except sanding. I have turned at 100 rpm, some large blanks that were not balanced, and it did fine in the torque department. David Roseman has both the G0733 and the G0766. He can speak to the differences he might see in both of the models as an owner. You can send him a pm, ... I can only relate to the G0733's predecessor, which was the G0698 18/47. The G0766 is the real deal!

Hayes Rutherford
12-27-2017, 7:43 PM
Prashun, I have never turned on the Laguna. Someone I know asked me what my opinion of the Laguna 18-36 was so I did some research. Looking at the assembly drawings, I found that the 18-36 uses the same bearings as the 24-36. 6207 inboard and 6205 outboard. A 6207 has an i.d. of 35mm, and a 6205 is 25mm. If these handle the loads of a 24-36 they would most likely be more than adequate on the 18-36.

Another thing I want to point out is the bearings on the Grizzly G0698, and the G0733 are are the same. Two 6206. Both bearings are located inboard of the drive belt so the pulley end of the spindle is not supported. This allows for a shorter shaft on the motor and shorter spindle which contributes to cost saving. In contrast would be a more costly lathe like the 3520C which utilizes two 6207 bearings inboard and a single 6206 on the other end of the spindle with the drive pulley located in between. Good luck. My friend ended up buying a used Oneway with lots of tooling.

William C Rogers
12-27-2017, 9:49 PM
Do look at John Keeton's review. I have had my 18-36 for about 6 months. I am a hobbiest. I am still very pleasedwith this lathe. One of my main reasons for buying the 18-36 was the floor to spindle height. I'm 5'9" and the 41-1/2" height is just about perfect for me. I have had a 17-1/2" out of round blank and didn't have any problems roughing out the bowl. I don't do coring, so can't comment on that. These are the main things I like; the fit and finish out of the box was very good. All the screw holes lined up and did not need to be forced. Tailstock/headstock centers were right on. I checked the spindle face and shaft and there was no measurable runout. Laguna has videos on the set up and every accessory. I did watch the setup and although somewhat self explanatory the unpacking helped. I like the access from extended cone. I no longer sand before turning a bowl around to the chuck. Also when that is done there is always some runout. I now take a cleanup cut and final cut on the outside when chucked. I don't sand until I'm finished with the entire bowl. I bought the vacuum adapter only ( I have a pump ) from Laguna that fits into the handwheel about $70. The only other accessory I might buy at some future time is the bed extension that will allow 32" swing. The extension is $500. The leg splay is 26" ( 2" more than the 3520B ) and I added 280# sand between the legs making it very stable. The sliding headstock is nice. The control panel is easy to use/read. The things I don't like ( or could be better ); the spindle lock is spring loaded and you must hold it with one hand. The index decal is not as good as I would like. Indexing is fine, however the window showing the position is sometimes between number. May just be my lathe, but I need to be careful reading the index position. There is no remote emergency stop. The set screw on the tailstock came loose twice. I put thread lock on after the second time and so far so good.
I would buy this lathe again without doubt. I have turned on Powermatic and Robust, very nice lathes, but the Laguna does everything I need well.

David C. Roseman
12-28-2017, 12:15 PM
John Keeton did a great review on the Laguna Revo 18/36, and he loves his. 220V is not hard to setup. You can do it with the same wiring on your 115V. Provided it is at least 14/2 with ground. Just swap out the breaker at the panel [turn off the main first!!!]. Then wire the black and white to one side of the receptacle [the brass colored screws], then ground wire to ground screw on the receptacle. Wire the white and black to hot on the breaker, then the ground to the ground bar in the panel box. Turn the main back on.
The G0733 is also a great lathe, and has more distance between centers...47” and would be great for spindle work if you turn table legs/bed posts, baulisters, etc. Same 18” swing as the Laguna Revo 18/36, but you will save about $600-$800 and get just as good performance. The Laguna Revo does have a handwheel, but I learned to do just fine without one on my 18/47 G0698, and you can always make one for it out of wood, if you really want a handwheel.....There is a write-up in the GGMG threads on how to do it.

Prashun - +1 on all of Roger's comments, with one caveat on converting your existing 115v circuit to 220v. I believe this assumes it's a dedicated circuit i.e., that there isn't anything else on the circuit requiring 115v (lights, other 115v receptacles). Otherwise, you'd need to run a separate circuit. But the reward is worthwhile.

Regarding the Grizzly G0733, I've had that lathe for 5 yrs, plus a G0766 (for 2 yrs), and think very highly of both. Unless you would use the extra 5 inches between centers for spindle work that the G0733 offers, I think the G0766 is a bit more versatile for a bowl turner like yourself. It also has a 3 Hp motor, rather than 2 Hp, although I've yet to stall my G0733. Also, as Roger notes, the G0733 does not have a hand wheel. If you are considering that lathe, PM me and I'll be happy to email you a tutorial I did a few years ago on adding an integrated handwheel/vacuum adapter.

Thomas Wilson80
12-28-2017, 1:17 PM
I've read John Keeton's extensive review (thanks!) but I'm curious to hear from others with the Laguna 18-36 (esp. if anyone has the 110v) to hear first-hand how it performs or if there have been any issues.

It would be too expensive for me to wire 220 in my current setup but am likely moving in the next 2 years and could do 220v then (which would force the decision between the G0766 vs the Laguna) but ideally I would like to upgrade sooner but haven't found any reviews on the performance of the laguna 110v and would rather wait than upgrade and regret it. If anyone else has experience with the Laguna (and specifically with the 110v) it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tom

Jack Lilley
12-28-2017, 6:48 PM
I owned a G0766 for about 1-1/2 yrs and have had a Laguna 18/36 for about 7 or 8 months. I would highly recommend the Laguna if you are not concerned about the difference in money. As far as the torque and power are concerned Laguna has plenty of each. I do allot of coring, large bowl turning and hollowing it handles it fine. The Laguna is quiet, no noise from the vfd at all, my grizzly had a fan in it that was noisy all the time. The Laguna has a better stance for lathe stability in that it is lower and has a wider footprint. The Laguna includes a very nice tool rest, live center, knock out bar and drive center standard items. If you want to add vacuum chucking a vacuum adaptor is available from Laguna for less then $100. I like the fact you can add on to the Laguna with bolt on extensions and turn up to 32" dia or add to the length as long as you want. The grizzly is a good lathe for the price and I had no problems to speak of with mine but it does not compare with the Laguna for fit and finish, availability of accessories or ergonomics in my opinion.

Prashun Patel
12-28-2017, 9:07 PM
Thank you for all the opinions. I am waiting for a Laguna sale now...

Barry McFadden
12-28-2017, 10:19 PM
I upgraded from my Craftsman lathe to the Laguna 18/36 110v about 6 months ago. Didn't want to go to the trouble of running another line to the shop. It has been a great lathe so far. Plenty of power and no issues with torque at any speed. The belt is simple to change but since I do bowls about 90% of the time I just leave it on the 50 / 1300 speed. I would recommend this lathe to anyone. The only issue I've had on assembly is while turning the leveling feet into the legs one hole must have had some paint in it because the foot became harder and harder to turn until the round foot part just started to spin on the threaded bolt. I got it adjusted to the same length as the others by putting a couple of nuts on it tight together and turned it in with a wrench. I called Laguna and they sent me a new one in about 5 days.

Prashun Patel
12-29-2017, 8:55 AM
Thanks, Barry. I was curious if the same machine could be rewired for 110 or 220. I see they are different motors. The 220v is 2hp, and the 110 is 1.5hp. I think I will bite the bullet and rewire for 220. I have been meaning to do that for a couple years anyway.

Thomas Wilson80
12-29-2017, 11:47 AM
I upgraded from my Craftsman lathe to the Laguna 18/36 110v about 6 months ago. Didn't want to go to the trouble of running another line to the shop. It has been a great lathe so far. Plenty of power and no issues with torque at any speed. The belt is simple to change but since I do bowls about 90% of the time I just leave it on the 50 / 1300 speed. I would recommend this lathe to anyone. The only issue I've had on assembly is while turning the leveling feet into the legs one hole must have had some paint in it because the foot became harder and harder to turn until the round foot part just started to spin on the threaded bolt. I got it adjusted to the same length as the others by putting a couple of nuts on it tight together and turned it in with a wrench. I called Laguna and they sent me a new one in about 5 days.

Any issues with power/stalling with the 110v? Do you core and if so, does the 110v do ok? Thanks, this is the first review of the 110v I have found online so it is very helpful!
Tom

Scott Turnquist
12-29-2017, 4:50 PM
Only one comment here, the Laguna 18/36 has only one bearing on the inboard (stock side) side of the spindle, not two as on the Grizzly's, Powermatics, JET and Nova lathes.

Barry McFadden
12-29-2017, 4:51 PM
Any issues with power/stalling with the 110v? Do you core and if so, does the 110v do ok? Thanks, this is the first review of the 110v I have found online so it is very helpful!
Tom

Tom...no issues with stalling of any kind...I don't do coring but I do a lot of large bowl blanks and have had no problem taking a heavy cut with them..

Scott Turnquist
12-29-2017, 4:55 PM
Rockler has it for 10% off right now. Just got the email ;)

Ashwini Kaul
01-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Prashun,
I have had the 1836 (220v) for about a month.
No issues.
Easy assembly. Great videos.
Very good fit and finish.
Works without a flaw.
No regrets.

Len Mullin
01-05-2018, 6:41 PM
Prashun, I watched a You-tube vid on this lathe last night. The lathe ran for about maybe 10 minutes, before it caught on fire and almost burn the fellow's shop down. If you want to check the video out on You-tube, look up Stelios The Greek videos. He sent the lathe back, he would have nothing to do with it. In the end, I think he ended up purchasing one of the new Nova Galaxy lathes.
Len

Prashun Patel
01-05-2018, 8:47 PM
I saw that video and the comments below lead me to believe this was a one-off experience. The video also did not post Laguna's resolution of the issue. I am not dismissing the video, just skeptical that it's anything more than a red herring.

John Keeton
01-05-2018, 9:11 PM
The Delta S1 inverter/VFD on the Laguna is shared by many of the current lathes (and used for years on the PM 3520B) and that appeared to be the source of the problem. I don’t think I could categorically condemn that entire model/brand on the failure of the VFD supplied by a component vendor.

ELY WALTON
01-06-2018, 7:25 AM
Prashun, I watched a You-tube vid on this lathe last night. The lathe ran for about maybe 10 minutes, before it caught on fire and almost burn the fellow's shop down. If you want to check the video out on You-tube, look up Stelios The Greek videos. He sent the lathe back, he would have nothing to do with it. In the end, I think he ended up purchasing one of the new Nova Galaxy lathes.
Len

I saw the video... Sounded like a big capacitor blew up in the Delta Electronics S1 inverter... He could (should) have just replaced the inverter under warranty and move on, but he chose to return the whole thing.. (and buy a Nova). All I can say is, "It is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,. Signifying nothing."

Ely

William C Rogers
01-06-2018, 9:15 AM
I saw the video... Sounded like a big capacitor blew up in the Delta Electronics S1 inverter... He could (should) have just replaced the inverter under warranty and move on, but he chose to return the whole thing.. (and buy a Nova). All I can say is, "It is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,. Signifying nothing."

Ely

Ely, you read my mind. I would have got another inverter. Would have been peeved, but not at Laguna or the design. That inverter has been in use a long time and in general it is reliable.

Barry McFadden
01-06-2018, 8:57 PM
Len

I trust VERY FEW Youtube videos of this sort... I think most of them are set up in order to get "views" for their own gain.......to easy to set up a "failure" ....just watched the video now....guy wears no face shield...dressed like he's going to the beach... not exactly someone I would trust with a lathe video demonstration!!!..... also these guys are drama queens...look at the picture for the video... all kinds of flames !!!!..again .. to draw people in to view it... also his comments about "exploding" and "almost burnt the shop down"... come on...a bit of smoke is all I saw and very little at that.... I've created more smoke in my shop from burning lines on a bowl with a wire!!!

Chad E Anderson
01-07-2018, 10:59 AM
I trust VERY FEW Youtube videos of this sort... I think most of them are set up in order to get "views" for their own gain.......to easy to set up a "failure" ....just watched the video now....guy wears no face shield...dressed like he's going to the beach... not exactly someone I would trust with a lathe video demonstration!!!..... also these guys are drama queens...look at the picture for the video... all kinds of flames !!!!..again .. to draw people in to view it... also his comments about "exploding" and "almost burnt the shop down"... come on...a bit of smoke is all I saw and very little at that.... I've created more smoke in my shop from burning lines on a bowl with a wire!!!
My thoughts as well. Smoke? Sure. Flames? Nope, no signs of burning anywhere.

Prashun Patel
01-14-2018, 11:15 AM
In trying to find out some info on the 24-36, all I get is, "At that price I would only consider a 3520B". Really hard to find objective or informed info out there.

Chris Hachet
01-15-2018, 10:33 AM
In trying to find out some info on the 24-36, all I get is, "At that price I would only consider a 3520B". Really hard to find objective or informed info out there.You pay your money and take your chances. Personally I love the 3520 but don't want to heve the same lathe as everyone else.

Reed Gray
01-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Only comparison I can make here is with the Jet 1 1/2 hp 16 inch lathe that runs on 110 or 220. The 110 stalls easily for the way I turn, which is more production style. I had to slow way down on the cuts I made with both the standard cutting and coring. It does a fairly good job coring. My 1 1/2 hp Robust Liberty has no issues that way. Only real issue I have with the Laguna is their mobility wheel brackets. Fine if you don't use the sliding headstock, but if you do, they are in the way for stepping around the end to the lathe bed. I would take them off if I had it.

robo hippy

Prashun Patel
01-16-2018, 10:07 AM
I pulled the trigger and purchased the Laguna REVO 18-36 (220v). I thought I'd write this for the benefit of anyone in my boat considering this.

I was considering the Powermatic 3520C, the REVO 24-36, and even the Robust lathes.

For ME, I don't turn enough to justify the investment into the super premium lathes, so after some deep breaths, I realized MY money is better spent on upgrading my accessories and tools than in horsepower and mass. I anticipate needing to turn larger and rougher things less and less as I age. I believe I was wooed (for better or worse) into considering pricier lathes by people who turn far more frequently and larger than I do. In the end I had to step back and consider my own potential use.

The 18-36 has a conical headstock and a lower stance. Being a shorter bowl turner, these things are good me. The weight @ 400+ lbs is more manageable for me to get into my basement, but about 3x what I'm used to, so I suspect it will be fine. I also suspect that the lower height will contribute to improving stability even at reduced mass. I like that the lathe extension can be mounted perpendicular to the headstock as well as on the end. I haven't purchased the extension, but I like having the option if it comes up on occasion.

The 24-36 was my second choice. This featured of course larger capacity and power, but also has a 3" taller (standard) spindle height. This is good for some but I prefer the lower stance. It also features a moveable control box. I did not like this machine $1000 more than the 18-36.

My only trepidation with Laguna was a reputation for sub-par customer service. However, current users don't seem to share this opinion, and therefore I have reason to believe this may be a thing of the past. I also don't (this is MY opinion) don't want to trust that the quality of a 2018 PM3520C is equivalent to a 2008 PM3520B. I could not find any user reviews of the new PM for me to make an informed decision.

Unfortunately I did not have the luxury of being able to try any of these machines prior to purchase (bring on the criticisms!), but there it is. I'll report back when I've had some history with this machine.

William C Rogers
01-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Congrats on your new lathe. I also purchased a 18-36 in May. I am totally happy with the machine. My decision was basically the same as what you indicated. My previous lathe was a PM 90 and the original spindle height was 42 inches with a 12" swing. I raised that lathe for an 18" swing that raised the spindle height to 45". I liked the swing, but the height was not as comfortable turning. The only lathes I knew would meet my spindle height needs were the Laguna and Robust. If I was into coring and large bowls/turnings then the Robust, but I'm just a hobbiest so I went with the Laguna and no regrets. I didn't buy the extension, but glad to know it is available. I haven't had the need to contact Laguna CS much, but when I did it was positive. I had a vacuum pump and bought just the adapter from Laguna for about $70, well made. Although the assembly is somewhat straight forward, Laguna has a set up video on you tube. It is helpful in the unpacking. I did add 280# sand ballast to mine for increased stability from the start and it is very stable.

Roger Chandler
01-16-2018, 1:49 PM
Congrats Prashun! I think you made a good choice for your needs. I went all out and got the G0800, should be in the first week in February. I did some rearranging to make a space to put my radial arm saw in my back building, and will take down one of my modular work benches to make room for the 0800 beast. Now I need to run another 240v circuit from my panel.

Jack Lilley
01-16-2018, 3:38 PM
There is a review on youtube by SG Art Turning. He has had the 1836 for awhile and recently purchased the 2436.

Prashun Patel
01-16-2018, 4:02 PM
Jack-Thanks, I saw that review. It was very helpful.
Roger-Yup, I considered the G0800 as well briefly. In the end my instinct was that it was in a similar price range to the Laguna 24-36 and that just made it feel a tad excessive for me. I am making no statement about relative quality of any of these machines.
William-Got any pix of your balast?

William C Rogers
01-16-2018, 9:15 PM
Jack-Thanks, I saw that review. It was very helpful.
Roger-Yup, I considered the G0800 as well briefly. In the end my instinct was that it was in a similar price range to the Laguna 24-36 and that just made it feel a tad excessive for me. I am making no statement about relative quality of any of these machines.
William-Got any pix of your balast?

Prashun, here are some pictures of the ballast I added to mine. The box is made from 3/4" plywood. I think I made everything from one 4'X8' sheet. I painted the wood the hammered grey. First picture shows the bottom area where I fit five 50# bags of sand and then filled gallon and quart freezer bags with another 30#. I made three pull out shelves above the ballast box. Initially I had some of my chucks in those, but they were heavy for the cheap drawer slides and since I had quite a few centers and drives I store them there and a few other things. Still have room to lay my chisels on top of the pullouts. There is a thin white piece of plastic that I pull out and dump the shavings that accumulate on the top of the pullouts. I ended up putting my chucks on a cart I had.

John Keeton also added ballast to his lathe and can search his threads for those pictures.
376667 376668 376669

John Keeton
01-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Bill, Prashun and I have been emailing and I sent him pics and info on my ballast box and drawer unit.

Stefano Bastianelli
01-17-2018, 9:26 AM
I pulled the trigger and purchased the Laguna REVO 18-36 (220v). I thought I'd write this for the benefit of anyone in my boat considering this.

I was considering the Powermatic 3520C, the REVO 24-36, and even the Robust lathes.

For ME, I don't turn enough to justify the investment into the super premium lathes, so after some deep breaths, I realized MY money is better spent on upgrading my accessories and tools than in horsepower and mass. I anticipate needing to turn larger and rougher things less and less as I age. I believe I was wooed (for better or worse) into considering pricier lathes by people who turn far more frequently and larger than I do. In the end I had to step back and consider my own potential use.

The 18-36 has a conical headstock and a lower stance. Being a shorter bowl turner, these things are good me. The weight @ 400+ lbs is more manageable for me to get into my basement, but about 3x what I'm used to, so I suspect it will be fine. I also suspect that the lower height will contribute to improving stability even at reduced mass. I like that the lathe extension can be mounted perpendicular to the headstock as well as on the end. I haven't purchased the extension, but I like having the option if it comes up on occasion.

The 24-36 was my second choice. This featured of course larger capacity and power, but also has a 3" taller (standard) spindle height. This is good for some but I prefer the lower stance. It also features a moveable control box. I did not like this machine $1000 more than the 18-36.

My only trepidation with Laguna was a reputation for sub-par customer service. However, current users don't seem to share this opinion, and therefore I have reason to believe this may be a thing of the past. I also don't (this is MY opinion) don't want to trust that the quality of a 2018 PM3520C is equivalent to a 2008 PM3520B. I could not find any user reviews of the new PM for me to make an informed decision.

Unfortunately I did not have the luxury of being able to try any of these machines prior to purchase (bring on the criticisms!), but there it is. I'll report back when I've had some history with this machine.

Prashun, don't worry about the customer care. As i wrote in another post, I had a problem last May with the banjo and they were awesome.

William C Rogers
01-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Bill, Prashun and I have been emailing and I sent him pics and info on my ballast box and drawer unit.

That sounds familiar.

jon minerich
01-17-2018, 2:34 PM
Prashun,

I have had my Revo 1836 for about 4 months. It is the 110 volt version. I love it. It is smooth, quiet and and heavy. I have turned some bowls, boxes and lots of Christmas ornaments. The machine has performed flawlessly. Change overs are quick and easy. Overall it is a very nice machine and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Jon

Ashwini Kaul
01-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Any opinions on leaving the machine plugged in vs out when not in use.
I noticed that even when off its using some juice and even the display stays on. Dont know what kind of power its uses in this standby state.
I usually dont unplug my machines unless I am servicing them but with this one I have been and its a minor annoyance.

John Keeton
01-18-2018, 11:07 AM
My Laguna is the only stationary tool in my shop that has complex circuit board electronics, so I unplug it whenever it is not in use to avoid lightning or surge damage. It isn’t the power usage that concerns me.

William C Rogers
01-18-2018, 2:02 PM
Same as John, unplug every time for surge potential.

carl mesaros
01-19-2018, 4:40 PM
Congrats Prashun! I think you made a good choice for your needs. I went all out and got the G0800, should be in the first week in February. I did some rearranging to make a space to put my radial arm saw in my back building, and will take down one of my modular work benches to make room for the 0800 beast. Now I need to run another 240v circuit from my panel.

Congrats to you too Roger! I know you will be more than pleased with your new GO800. You will be amazed at the difference 800 lbs. makes.
I turn every day and the only reason I'd ever move up is purely the beauty of a Oneway or Robust.
I will be watching this space for a complete review of your new lathe and to see if your expectations were met.

Roger Chandler
01-19-2018, 4:58 PM
Congrats to you too Roger! I know you will be more than pleased with your new GO800. You will be amazed at the difference 800 lbs. makes.
I turn every day and the only reason I'd ever move up is purely the beauty of a Oneway or Robust.
I will be watching this space for a complete review of your new lathe and to see if your expectations were met.

Thanks Carl. I will put it through its paces, and since this is my 5th lathe I will have owned over the years, and my experience with many other models including 11 of the PM 3520b's, a Serious SL2542, a Robust American Beauty, numerous Jet 1642 evs, and midi's as well, I feel like I have a good and varied background and experience in which to be able to assess the performance of this G0800.

If I could get one of my son's to film me doing a project [time for them is always an issue] then I would be tempted to do a youtube review......not sure that is in the cards however, but one never knows.....:D

carl mesaros
01-19-2018, 6:52 PM
Thanks Carl. I will put it through its paces, and since this is my 5th lathe I will have owned over the years, and my experience with many other models including 11 of the PM 3520b's, a Serious SL2542, a Robust American Beauty, numerous Jet 1642 evs, and midi's as well, I feel like I have a good and varied background and experience in which to be able to assess the performance of this G0800.

If I could get one of my son's to film me doing a project [time for them is always an issue] then I would be tempted to do a youtube review......not sure that is in the cards however, but one never knows.....:D

Great idea hope your son's can find the time.

Prashun Patel
02-01-2018, 10:02 AM
I am having trouble getting the Robust bowl tool rest to seat securely in the banjo. It's a little loose and slides down even on tightest setting.

The Laguna straight rest does not have this problem.

My thought is to condition the post a little with sandpaper, but don't want to ruin it.

John Keeton
02-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Prashun, that is strange as I have two Robust straight rests and one fit perfectly and the other was just a tad snug and required a “once around” with a draw file lightly and dressed with 320 grit. Both work fine now. Obviously, there was some variance in my two Robust rests, so it is possible that the post on yours may be a bit off. Can you get a good measurement on it?

Joe Shanaphy
02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Am I missing something? I use the handwheel on my G0766 all the time ... why doesn't the Revo have one? ... or is it an option? I'm asking since in my new place I don't have a 220 V line and getting one in would be a MAJOR production so I'm thinking of making a change to the 18/36 110 V

William C Rogers
02-01-2018, 1:35 PM
Am I missing something? I use the handwheel on my G0766 all the time ... why doesn't the Revo have one? ... or is it an option? I'm asking since in my new place I don't have a 220 V line and getting one in would be a MAJOR production so I'm thinking of making a change to the 18/36 110 (tel:18/36 110) V

Well there is a "handwheel", so to speak. Ther is a ~2" diameter ~3" long cylinder that is used as the handwheel. It is threaded at the end to accept the Laguna vacuum adapter.

Prashun Patel
02-01-2018, 3:06 PM
Thanks, John. The Robust rest clamps sweetly, but slips. I'll try cleaning the post and the hole. I have heard nary a complaint about either this rest or banjo, so I think it is probably fixable on my end.

I was able to carry the legs and ways into the basement myself. My wife helped me with the headstock.

I am in the process of building the ballast box, heretofore known as the "Keeton Koffin" tonight. I have a defunct treadmill deck that will form the sides.

I took it for a test spin already. Some initial impressions:

+
I am impressed by the machining. Bolts and parts just line up very nicely.
I like the sliding action of the tool rest and tail stock on the steel ways. It's smooth.
The belt changing is easy and convenient.
I like the stance of the legs. They are super stable even unsupported.
I like the super long travel of the tail stock quill.
I find the accessories (spur center, live center, tool rest) appear very well made.

-
I have the halogen light. I am not sure why they made it 220v, but fine. The articulating arm could be longer. I also find the hinge action a little tight. When adjusting the bolts and nut, they were prone to strip.
Turnbolts on tool rest and tail stock: I hope I get used to them. I also find them to be inconveniently located. Luckily, they don't require much force to engage (+) so I'm hoping I can replace them with something smaller even if it sacrifices a little leverage.
The duplicator brackets are puzzling. The light mounts to them, but the tail stock bracket is inconveniently located by the locking tail stock lever.
For the assembly, they use a confusing array of hex key sizes. I think I needed about 5 different wrenches. Not a big deal, but I didn't understand the reason for that much diversity.
The instructions were a little sparse. The YT videos, on the other hand were superb.

Barry McFadden
02-01-2018, 4:53 PM
I didn't put the Headstock/Tailstock brackets on mine... I just use the magnetic base lamp from Lee Valley if I need it and just stick it anywhere on the lathe..

Prashun Patel
02-05-2018, 10:39 PM
I completed the ballast box and storage cabinet. The top slopes to the back to channel shavings and so that tools placed on the ledge will roll into the ways, not off the front.

I extended the leg bolts on the tail side to secure a plywood platform for temporary tool storage. It's an ideal location because the posts don't obstruct the cabinet doors.

Roger Chandler
02-05-2018, 11:16 PM
Nice, Prashun!

George Conklin
02-06-2018, 10:05 AM
I extended the leg bolts on the tail side to secure a plywood platform for temporary tool storage. It's an ideal location because the posts don't obstruct the cabinet doors.

Brilliant!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2018, 5:07 PM
Do you have a stop/emergency switch at the tailstock end Prashun ??, something I would want if something gets out of control, not having to go through the line of fire to stop the machine.

Prashun Patel
02-07-2018, 9:15 AM
I don't. The 24-36 Laguna has a moveable switch. The 18-36 does not.

Prashun Patel
02-28-2018, 11:09 AM
John, have you noticed that the banjo lever has some spring back when the lever side is close to the ways? I can't figure out how to stop it...

John Keeton
02-28-2018, 2:02 PM
No spring back. The only instability in the banjo is if it is fully extended such that the clamp washer is not fully engaging the underside of the ways. In that situation the banjo will not clamp down securely.

Roger Chandler
02-28-2018, 2:13 PM
Sounds like your banjo nut underneath the clamp plate may need adjustment....perhaps 1/2 a turn or less. At least that is a good starting place. If that doesn't work, then take the banjo off, turn upside down and move the clamping mechanism around and see if it is binding somewhere. Not sure on your Laguna, but some banjo mechanisms have an eliptical cam that slide on the bar, or have a washer that seats into that cam, and if it is off to one side, it might not seat correctly as well.

Barry McFadden
02-28-2018, 2:21 PM
John, have you noticed that the banjo lever has some spring back when the lever side is close to the ways? I can't figure out how to stop it...

Prashun... I have noticed the same thing...if I'm doing a big bowl and the banjo is far from the lathe bed it latches in with about 30 degrees of movement... If I'm doing something small and the banjo is close to the lathe bed I do notice the spring back unless I push the handle down about 70 or 80 degrees to lock in. I had a long talk with Brian Bennett from Laguna and he has the same on his 18/36. He doesn't have an answer for it but I said it's not really a big deal.. I just have to move the lever more to lock it in when I'm close to the lathe bed..... I just wanted to get his opinion... I tried adjusting the nut under the banjo but didn't really do much to help..as Roger stated there is an eliptical cam under the banjo that Brian thought may be the cause but I haven't taken mine off to look yet... Feel free to give him a call if you want..he's very helpful and will listen to any concerns you might have.

Prashun Patel
02-28-2018, 2:38 PM
Thanks, Guys. I like this lathe plenty. Had my first chance to use the sliding head stock today. What a joy. But.... I do find the tool rest latch and lever to get in the way of each other. In this instance, cranking the lever down further was not an option because the ways was in the way (did I just write that?)

Barry McFadden
02-28-2018, 3:27 PM
Thanks, Guys. I like this lathe plenty. Had my first chance to use the sliding head stock today. What a joy. But.... I do find the tool rest latch and lever to get in the way of each other. In this instance, cranking the lever down further was not an option because the ways was in the way (did I just write that?)

When I'm up close on a small bowl I never have to crank the handle more than 90 degrees which puts it parallel with the ways (I'm guessing you're calling the lathe bed that)... so it would never be in the way for me...

Prashun Patel
02-28-2018, 4:15 PM
Which tool rests are you using, Barry? I'm in the market for something a little skinnier than the Robust or Laguna rests.

Barry McFadden
02-28-2018, 5:27 PM
I use the Laguna rest that came with the lathe as well as this one from Oneway https://oneway.ca/products-category/lathe-accessories/Toolrests/General-Purpose-Curved-Toolrest-Large-1640-(1%22-Post)
and this system from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=46452&cat=1,330,49238&ap=1

ELY WALTON
03-01-2018, 8:04 AM

Be sure there are no shavings built up on the locking washer surface or underside of the ways... If no joy, suggest a slight adjustment of the locking nut so that the cam shaft rotates a bit more...

Ely

William C Rogers
03-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Which tool rests are you using, Barry? I'm in the market for something a little skinnier than the Robust or Laguna rests.

I use the Robust low profile rest. Much "skinner" than the comfort rest or Laguna rest. I have the 6" and 12" and the 14" J rest. When I had my Powermatic 90 I bought the comfort rest and the curved rest. I like the low profile rest much better and did not buy the curved rest this time. I prefer the straight rest over the curved rest. Rarely used the J rest, but is sometimes handy. The only time I use the Laguna rest is when I have my hollowing system set up.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2018, 9:45 AM
i had a chance to adjust the nut under the banjo yesterday. It turns out it was set just about right.

Making it more loose or more tight did not improve the cam action. I think there is just something fundamentally off on either this banjo, this banjo's design, or ALL long banjos.

The banjo seems to work 'easiest' when the post is cantilevered farthest off the bed. It locks without much force. As soon as I encounter resistance in the cam lever, the banjo is locked tight; I don't need to torque it down. But as you move the post closer to the bed, it requires progressively more force and therefore more travel to engage the lever effectively; not pushing it far enough causes it to spring back. This is a problem when the post is directly over the bed because the cam lever does not have enough vertical travel to reach the point of locking; it keeps springing back.

The solution is to move the cam lever just off the bed so that it can be pushed down to near vertical (with a good amount of force, I might add).

Is this basically the lever principle? The cam and handle basically form a lever to wedge the rest into place. As the cam gets closer to the handle, the lever is shortened and the bed has enough force to resist it.

John Keeton
03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Prashun, you reference "tool rest" and "banjo" interchangeably, it seems. There is a "lever" or better described as an "adjustable clamping handle" on the tool rest clamping system. Then, there is a cam lever on the banjo that tightens the banjo in the ways. I believe all of this discussion is actually limited to the cam lever on the banjo - correct? If so, then I do not believe what you describe is normal and I would suggest you speak with Laguna customer support. It may be possible the cam action on the banjo is not "right" and they can guide you through an adjustment, or rectify the situation.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2018, 10:32 AM
edited appropriately. Sorry for the confusing use of terms. Still learning my nomenclature.

Barry McFadden
03-05-2018, 10:54 AM
John.... I have talked to Laguna about this and as I mentioned .. The lathe Brian from Laguna uses does the same thing. I have seen one post on SMC about this as well. As Prashun states, the spring back occurs when the banjo is close to the ways. Mine can still be clamped no problem with a little more pressure when it is close to the bed so I really don't have an issue with it. As Brian told me, it seems like some sort of issue with the way the cam mechanism works...Prashun...you may want to give him a call and let him discuss it with you (he was looking into it when I talked to him)

Leo Van Der Loo
03-05-2018, 2:04 PM
I would try some lubrication on the banjo shaft, and a very precise adjustment of the nut under the ways with the banjo set close to the bed.

The long shaft of the banjo is always prone to flex when away from the ends of the banjo, on my Delta I have to make sure to rotate the handle to the right to have it not creep back up when setting the banjo all the way in to the lathe bed, there is a slight difference in that banjo when rotating the handle left or right.

Also the adjustment has to be precise or else the shaft will go past the lowest point without clamping well when the banjo is placed in the middle of the length it can slide.

Prashun Patel
03-14-2018, 2:02 PM
I believe it is set as good as it will be. I am usually able to find a position and rest combination that allows me to move the banjo lever handle completely down.

I discovered for the first time that the tip of the live center unscrews to reveal a tiny cup live center. This lathe is listed as 36" between centers, but I was only able to achieve this by sliding the tailstock and headstock out a little over the ends of the bed. It worked fine.

This is not a complaint.

John Keeton
03-14-2018, 6:38 PM
Prashun, most all of the live centers permit the large cone to be removed. I use the cup center quite a bit, but I remove the small center pin. It is a morse taper and knocks out thru the hole in the live center.

ELY WALTON
03-15-2018, 12:31 PM
I believe it is set as good as it will be. I am usually able to find a position and rest combination that allows me to move the banjo lever handle completely down.

I discovered for the first time that the tip of the live center unscrews to reveal a tiny cup live center. This lathe is listed as 36" between centers, but I was only able to achieve this by sliding the tailstock and headstock out a little over the ends of the bed. It worked fine.

This is not a complaint.

Glad you found a workaround! But I still believe there may be some adjustment to make it right. Mine is set such that the banjo is fully free with the handle at the 12 o'clock position, and and I can fully lock it by turning it to the right to about the 2:00 or 2:30 position at most... It is the same if the banjo is fully over the bed at either extreme... The handle never interferes with the bed...

Again... great that it is working out for you now. Best wishes!

Ely

Barry McFadden
03-15-2018, 4:19 PM
UPDATE.... since my last post I have been on the lathe quite a bit and noticed that now I'm getting no spring back from the handle and no matter what the position of the banjo, it locks in at around the 3 o'clock position....

John Keeton
03-15-2018, 6:23 PM
Barry, sounds like perhaps the banjo just needed some “break in” time! Prashun needs to put in some overtime at his new lathe to see if a bit of use will remedy the issue.

Brice Rogers
03-17-2018, 11:26 PM
On Facebook I am a member of a group called Woodchuckers. A day ago a fellow posted the following: "Laguna Revo 18/36 110 V --WARNING

"So excited, just received and set-up my Revo 18/36 110 V Lathe in my garage. Plug it in, and trip, there goes the GFI outlet. Come to find out that the 110 V model of the 18/36 will NOT OPERATE with GFI outlets. Also GFI outlets are code required for all garages. Nothing in the manual. Laguna has been of no help getting this resolved....Have talked with Laguna tech support multiple times. The issue is with the VFD Inverter. It is not compatible with GFI... "

I don't know the veracity of this fellow's claims but thought that I would post it should it be of value to the OP trying to figure out whether to go 120 or 240. Personally I would go 240 because of a slight power increase and because GFCIs are not required on 240 volt circuits.

John Keeton
03-18-2018, 6:59 AM
I believe the VFD on the Laguna is the Delta S1, and is the same inverter used on many of the current model lathes, including PM, Jet and others. There are no GFI circuits in my shop and I suspect that is common. I doubt this is something Laguna would feel compelled to “resolve.” That may not be good news for folks with garage shops.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-18-2018, 12:56 PM
On Facebook I am a member of a group called Woodchuckers. A day ago a fellow posted the following: "Laguna Revo 18/36 110 V --WARNING

"So excited, just received and set-up my Revo 18/36 110 V Lathe in my garage. Plug it in, and trip, there goes the GFI outlet. Come to find out that the 110 V model of the 18/36 will NOT OPERATE with GFI outlets. Also GFI outlets are code required for all garages. Nothing in the manual. Laguna has been of no help getting this resolved....Have talked with Laguna tech support multiple times. The issue is with the VFD Inverter. It is not compatible with GFI... "

I don't know the veracity of this fellow's claims but thought that I would post it should it be of value to the OP trying to figure out whether to go 120 or 240. Personally I would go 240 because of a slight power increase and because GFCIs are not required on 240 volt circuits.

If you go and search for GFCI here in the forum, you will find all kinds of posts with regards of the tripping of the GFCI, Grizzly, Jet, Delta, etc, all of these lathes will trip the GFCI, you will have to plug it into a non GFCI outlet, 120V or 240V.

No reason to downplay the Laguna Quality, or customer support, or point to problems that are really part of the GFCI, as there are other power tools that will trip the GFCI, so why try to blame Laguna ??

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?207017-Delta-46-460-Midi-Lathe-tripping-GFCI&highlight=GFI+tripping

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?196765-How-can-I-use-my-Jet-1642&highlight=GFCI

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?92591-Electrical-issue-with-lathe-spin-down&highlight=GFCI

Brice Rogers
03-18-2018, 1:28 PM
Good points, Leo. I didn't mean to imply that the Laguna was defective. I believe that it uses the same inverter as my G0766 (which runs on 240 vac). Thanks for the links.

From what I've read, the RF noise suppression capacitors on the inverters cause a small amount of ground current (capacitors from line to ground) and it is very close to the trip point of the GFCI devices. I think that the specs for the Delta inverter are <3.5 ma leakage. The gfci spec is 5 ma +/- 1ma. That is too close of a margin in my opinion. I think that GFCI's are, in general, problematic with heavier-duty electrical tools. They are probably fine for bathrooms and kitchens. There used to be an exception for garages if you used a ceiling drop or had the receptacle high enough or a dedicated circuit. But not any longer. Interestingly, if the person who posted on facebook dragged his new lathe into his living room or bedroom, he wouldn't need a GFCI. But he may have needed a divorce attorney. :D

Barry McFadden
03-18-2018, 2:09 PM
Good points, Leo. I didn't mean to imply that the Laguna was defective. I believe that it uses the same inverter as my G0766 (which runs on 240 vac). Thanks for the links.

From what I've read, the RF noise suppression capacitors on the inverters cause a small amount of ground current (capacitors from line to ground) and it is very close to the trip point of the GFCI devices. I think that the specs for the Delta inverter are <3.5 ma leakage. The gfci spec is 5 ma +/- 1ma. That is too close of a margin in my opinion. I think that GFCI's are, in general, problematic with heavier-duty electrical tools. They are probably fine for bathrooms and kitchens. There used to be an exception for garages if you used a ceiling drop or had the receptacle high enough or a dedicated circuit. But not any longer. Interestingly, if the person who posted on facebook dragged his new lathe into his living room or bedroom, he wouldn't need a GFCI. But he may have needed a divorce attorney. :D

That's the problem with believing everything you read on the internet. So many people out there have no idea what they are complaining about. Just like the post recently with some guy on Youtube complaining that his new Laguna 18/36 "almost burnt my shop down"... which was total b.s. There was a bit of smoke from the VFD ... nothing more ...but instead of blaming the Delta VFD he was "sending back the lathe and would never buy a Laguna again". Pretty much every lathe I see with a VFD is one made by Delta so if the guy knew what he was talking about he would blame the right company...

David C. Roseman
03-18-2018, 2:38 PM
Brice, thanks for bringing this topic up.

The Laguna 18-36 uses the Delta Electronics S1-series VFD, while the Grizzly G0766 uses the slightly newer model M1-series, but as you point out, VFDs don't like GFIs. As Leo notes, nuisance tripping is a known issue when any equipment with a VFD is used on a GFI-protected circuit, regardless of brand of VFD or equipment. Sometimes changing to a newer GFI receptacle with less sensitivity has been reported to help. It's not a defect in the VFD or, in this case, the 120v Laguna lathe. But since so many folks have garage workshops, where GFIs are common, I would think that there should be an alert about this in owner's manuals, or at least in the talking points at tech support for the equipment vendors.

As noted, the NEC requires GFI receptacles in residential garages (and other potentially damp locations). See Mike Holt's discussion at http://http://www.ecmweb.com/code-basics/nec-requirements-ground-fault-circuit-interrupters-gfci

Local building codes can vary in their adoption of various parts of the NEC, but as Holt notes, there are two exceptions to the NEC section at issue:

"GFCI protection devices are also required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles located in garages and grade-level portions of unfinished or finished accessory buildings used for storage or work areas of a dwelling unit [210.8(A)(2)]. However, there are a couple of exceptions to this rule. GFCI protection is not required for receptacles that are not readily accessible, such as a ceiling-mounted receptacle for a garage door opener. Nor are they required for a receptacle on a dedicated branch circuit located and identified for a cord-and-plug-connected appliance, such as a refrigerator or freezer."

So, simply replacing a GFI receptacle in a garage with a non-GFI receptacle for the 120v lathe would be a code violation. But note the second exception: If the entire "branch circuit" (the wiring downstream from the final circuit breaker in the panel) is re-dedicated as a "dedicated branch circuit" and used only for the lathe, then the exception would seem to apply, without running a new dedicated circuit. But there typically is more than one duplex receptacle in a garage on the same branch circuit. If I were a turner with this issue, I'd check with the local building inspectors' office to see if, for example, replacing those GFI receptacles for twist-locks used only by the lathe and other stationary woodworking equipment might be acceptable.

David C. Roseman
03-18-2018, 8:45 PM
Brice, I reread your last post more carefully and saw that the dedicated branch circuit exception has been eliminated for garages in later NEC iterations. Indeed, I just checked the 2017 NEC and don't see it.

If that change has also been adopted by the turner's local building code, that would rule out my suggestion for a possible "twist-lock" workaround in a garage shop! :(

Interestingly, the 2017 NEC still allows the dedicated branch circuit exception in unfinished basements. Hmm. https://www.thespruce.com/nec-regulations-on-gfcis-1152273

Prashun Patel
10-16-2018, 2:38 PM
Circling back on this. I recently purchased the swing away tail stock. It's good. I have not been able to align it absolutely perfectly; the eccentric alignment bolts are just very slightly off at their apex. But it does not seem to matter. The tailstock still slides easily across and locks spindles just fine.

This increases the capacity to 48". I didn't think the swing away would matter to me, but it did get heavy after 6 months.

Another question: Does anyone know the thread size on the rotating live center? I would like to purchase a Robust reversing cone for it, but it's 3/4"x10 threads. I am pretty sure this is what the Laguna has... Anyone who knows or can easily test?

John Keeton
10-16-2018, 2:52 PM
It is the same thread - 3/4” x 10.

Prashun Patel
10-16-2018, 3:46 PM
My hero. Thanks, John!

Prashun Patel
01-11-2019, 9:30 AM
John,
I know you have the gap bed extension. It does not swing away, correct? I wonder why they did not just make a swing-away gap bed extension... As it is now, one has to choose between the two. Save your back or big league swing.

Almost one year using this machine.

I am quite happy. I especially have come to appreciate the belt changes. I use the slower setting for bowls, and the larger for spindles. It's quick and painless to switch.

I do wish they have a power switch on the machine. I still go to the breaker box to cut power at the end of the day. That is annoying.

I've been turning a bunch of green red oak this past month, and the ways rust quite quickly - it comes right off with wax and steel wool. However, my old Delta 46-460 seemed to develop its rust resistance quicker. I have to now be very particular about clean up after wet turning. Specifically, inside the tool rest - inside the clamping kerf. I have to floss that with a small hex key.

I purchased a Robust inside bowl rest. At first I had an issue locking it down tight in the post. I also had some slip issues with the banjo lever. Both of those issues have abated over time. I bet a small amount of rust is working in my favor here.

2 accessories have really been great for me:

1) Hydrofarm Extension Cord - 240v - 12 ft. This allows me to mount the light on the tail stock bracket and reach the outlet which is near the headstock.
2) Oneway Big Bite Chuck spur. I LOVE this. I have turned blanks off the chainsaw as large as 18" and this has held wonderfully. I take care to balance them reasonably well, but I have yet to have it slip during a rough-out. It fits both the G3 and SN2 Nova chucks.

Stefano Bastianelli
01-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Prashun, if you are having any problem, don't hesitate to contact Laguna customer service even for an advice. I have to say they are awesome.
I turn 2, 3 hours every day and my lathe's belt started to make some noise just a month ago. I wanted to change it and because I was going in the process to remove the spindle, I planned to change the spindle bearing too. The manual doesn't have any instruction or guide about replacing the belt so I sent an email just asking if I needed to be careful to anything in particular.
Two days after I received an email from Laguna that they will ship a full new headstock and I will ship the old one back at no cost for me. Let me add also that my warranty expired a year ago.

John Keeton
01-11-2019, 12:47 PM
The bed extension does not swing away. However, one of the reasons I like the 1836 is that the tailstock does not present a physical challenge when removed. I am only 5’7” and I can handle the tailstock easily. I just don’t see the need for a swing away. On the other hand, the PM tailstock is quite heavy and uncomfortable for me to wrangle with any frequency.

Prashun Patel
01-11-2019, 1:25 PM
Thanks John. Swing-away mattered more for me. I found the tail stock heavy enough, and the extension long enough that it was a good solution for me.

Mick Fagan
01-11-2019, 9:38 PM
Circling back on this. I recently purchased the swing away tail stock. It's good. I have not been able to align it absolutely perfectly; the eccentric alignment bolts are just very slightly off at their apex. But it does not seem to matter. The tailstock still slides easily across and locks spindles just fine.

This increases the capacity to 48". I didn't think the swing away would matter to me, but it did get heavy after 6 months.

I have the 24-36 unit with the swing away tailstock unit, I too cannot get it to align correctly. I thought it was because mine is a different unit, but now I believe that the bed of my 24-36 is identical to the 18-36. It would appear then to be a design fault, in light of what you mention.

As to why they didn't include a swing away system for the bed extension, I think the answer is one word, "mass". I also have the bed extension with the idea of sometimes placing that extension on the front to enable doing the rear/underside of bowls or anything else without the need to remove it from a chuck. The swing idea being that if I had the extension on the front and with the swing away on, I could swing the tailstock to remove the banjo then swing it back.

The 24-36 tailstock has more mass than the 18-36 unit and the single mounting bracket would probably be at the design limit already, To swing an extension bed could be a completely different proposition from a safe design/long life situation.

I have tried the bed extension on the front, works very well, better than I expected. Better than a front extension mounted on a Stubby lathe to do the exact same thing.

Mick.