PDA

View Full Version : Giving up old bullet proof saw for saw stop...

Aaron carter
12-27-2017, 12:11 PM
My wife brought be to acme tools and walked over to the saw stop and said "merry christmas," the day before new years eve... I was shocked, but before I take delivery I am a little disheartened about giving up my old saw now that the time has come... It is a 1956 Walker Turner 2221 built like a tank and runs like a dream... I had to completely take it apart when I first got it. But even after the rehab there are some big downsides

Cons:

1.Dust collection is terrible even with a 6" pipe connected to the back and a custom acrylic motor cover there is still too much air leak in other spots to be effective...
2. It is really difficult change the blade angle as the trunion is mounted to the table rather than the cabinet and the trunions easily get gummed up with sawdust...
3. Blade changes take a while, no arbor lock, and difficulty getting hands in near blade...
4. Homemade splitter only, no riving knife... Also time consuming to put on and take off with two allen screws.
5. Unable to make Zero clearance inserts as the recess into the saw is very shallow and no place to secure it... I have over come this by just plunging into a sheet of 1/4" mdf when needed...
6. safety feature...

Pros:
1. The cast iron table is much bigger... It measures 32.5 inches deep X 46 inches vs. sawstop's which is 27 inches deep X 44 inches wide...
2. The 1 hp motor on it is a beast I can run my 8" dado through hardwoods without a hiccup, no comparison to the "1 hp" motors of today... However, I did get the 3hp option with the 36" fence.
3. it was built in 1956 and when i took apart the saw, man those parts were so beautifully machined and stout...

What is a reasonable price to ask for my old saw...?

andy bessette
12-27-2017, 1:23 PM
Why not put this thread where it belongs? In the Classifieds.

Andrew Seemann
12-27-2017, 2:16 PM
My only advice is to be prepared for it to be worth a lot less than you may think it is worth. It is a 61 year old saw that parts have not been available for for about 30 - 40 years. Not sure which Acme you went to, but in the Cities, newer used Unisaws with bigger motors don't tend to break $1000 (and $400-$600 isn't out of the question out state), and for those, parts are at least available on eBay.

Personally, I would be ecstatic to get a few hundred dollars for that saw, if someone hauled it away. When I finally replace my '68 Unisaw that I bought and rebuilt 20 odd years ago, I know I won't get the purchase price plus what I put into it (3 hp motor, arbor, bearings, magnetic switch). Heck, I'd be amazed to just get the purchase price.

I am not trying to sound mean or depressing, but we just went through disposing of my dad's workshop, and it was a surprise to him (and even me) what the going rate for used tools is. Some of the stuff that us kids didn't want or didn't have room for, we had trouble finding anyone who would take it for free. Actually, the whole house was like that.

You might luck out and find a Walker-Turner collector that is one saw away from completing his collection, but more than likely you will be competing against other user saws and their prices.

That said, congrads on your new saw!!!! I am so envious I think I am turning green:) My 68' Unisaw will hopefully suffer the same fate.

John TenEyck
12-27-2017, 3:30 PM
I would be disheartened, too, for about 2 seconds and then I would be overjoyed. What a great wife you have. She obviously cares enough about your safety to pony up for a new SS (even though it would be half my money, too, if my wife bought it). She could have blown it on a new wardrobe, weekend with the girls, whatever.

Enjoy the new saw. Whatever you get for the old one is a bonus.

John

lowell holmes
12-27-2017, 3:45 PM
Having almost cutting my thumb of one Saturday, being home alone, I had to drive my self to the emergency room with the end of my thumb, I can tell you quit
fretting about the small stuff. My thub healed, but it is a bit numb on cold mornings.

Robert Chapman
12-27-2017, 5:57 PM
My advice is to politely tell you to quit whining about your old saw! You will love your new SawStop. It is not only a beautiful, well designed, high quality table saw, it is also a very safe cutting tool. Thank your wife , assemble your new saw and enjoy your safer woodworking.

Matt Day
12-27-2017, 6:09 PM
I understand the attachment to the old saw. I’d post it on OWWM and see if you find any interest and research what other similar saw were listed for (you can’t ask for valuations but you may find old BOYD posts). I found one that sold for $175.

Enjoy the new saw! You’ll enjoy the niceties of a brand new machine and having tech support available. Just wish Steve Gass didn’t make a few bucks on it.

Martin Wasner
12-27-2017, 6:13 PM
A used 66 goes for less than a grand around msp typically. While your saw is likely significantly better, don't expect to get much.

I've seen used #4's and Type U's go for less than a 66 on Craigslist. It's bizarre

Matt Day
12-27-2017, 7:09 PM
Martin, to be fair the U and such are a different class of machinery. The Uni/66 are well known and a good size for most users, and accordingly are in more demand.

Geoff Crimmins
12-27-2017, 8:34 PM
I can understand your fondness for a vintage machine that you restored and that works well. That said, I've used my friend's Sawstop and and found it to be a very nice tablesaw. I have two friends who both replaced a Unisaw with a Sawstop, and they both like their new saws. I would second the suggestion that you join the owwm.org forum and post your Walker-Turner saw on the classifieds there. Then you can take comfort in knowing that whoever buys the saw will appreciate it for what it is and take care of it.

--Geoff

Jim Riseborough
12-28-2017, 9:57 AM
keep it and use for dado only .

Robert Engel
12-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Having 2 tablesaws is not the worst thing.

Having huge regrets about selling a classic like that one is.

My advice is keep it and use it for dado set ups.

Charles Lent
12-28-2017, 11:41 AM
Unless you are completely out of shop space, keep it. I know several woodworkers who have two table saws, one has his back to back and the other has his side by side. The added table space alone is a great benefit, but to have a saw set up for just doing dado's is a definite plus.

Stop agonizing and keep both of them.

Charley

Brian Tymchak
12-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Unless you are completely out of shop space, keep it. I know several woodworkers who have two table saws, one has his back to back and the other has his side by side. The added table space alone is a great benefit, but to have a saw set up for just doing dado's is a definite plus.

Stop agonizing and keep both of them.

Charley

+1. If you have the space, line them up back to back as out feeds for one another. Best of all worlds..

Carroll Courtney
12-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Plus it will give you another saw to use when your new saw breaks down;) I'm kidding

Will Allen
12-30-2017, 9:59 AM
Plus it will give you another saw to use when your new saw breaks down;) I'm kidding

I have had some mixed results in dealing with ACME for many years. There might be some truth to what you are saying.
But I think I would like a vintage saw like that in my shop.

John Gulick
12-30-2017, 3:11 PM
keep it and use for dado only .

+1 exactly what we did several years ago

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2017, 2:41 PM
Aaron, congratulations on picking such a wonderful spouse.

Now sell the old saw without worrying about it.

Your wife bought you the saw because she cares for you, and your safety.

Be thankful, get rid of the old saw.

Believe me, you don't want the dinner table discussion in the future where you try to justify having had an injury on the old saw when she bought you a new Saw Stop.........Happy New Year, you're a very lucky man..........Regards, Rod.

Simon MacGowen
12-31-2017, 3:26 PM

Be thankful, get rid of the old saw.

Believe me, you don't want the dinner table discussion in the future where you try to justify having had an injury on the old saw when she bought you a new Saw Stop.........Happy New Year, you're a very lucky man..........Regards, Rod.

The best advice so far.

It is nonsense to get a SawStop, and then keep and use another saw once in a while that has no SawStop protection.

Better resell the SawStop if one is still in love with the old saw.

Last summer, my neighbor was rebuilding his deck. He wanted me to help him make a few cuts. I brought his boards back to my shop and fired up my SawStop, refusing to even hang around his contractor saw no matter what.

Believe me, I will never ever use a non-SawStop table saw for the rest of my life, just as I will never be riding in a car not equipped with airbags and seat belts.

Simon

David Kumm
12-31-2017, 3:40 PM
I have the room for multiple machines so you can guess I'm in the keep both camp. Because I'm just a hobby guy with very little time for big projects but no desire to make small stuff, I am frustrated with the inefficiency of stopping a project to change set ups and particularly to repeat an old set up because I screwed up one piece. I'm at my most dangerous when quickly swapping cutters to cut a few pieces, or just replace something where the grain doesn't match. Others, I'm sure are more patient ( and smarter ) but I don't see that only using one machine, even a sawstop, would provide ME with more safety than my multiple sliders and shapers, set once. Just me. Dave

andy bessette
12-31-2017, 3:48 PM
...Believe me, you don't want the dinner table discussion in the future where you try to justify having had an injury...

...Believe me, I will never ever use a non-SawStop table saw for the rest of my life...

Lots of fear mongering going around these days.

Jacques Gagnon
12-31-2017, 3:49 PM
..the words of a wise man. I fully agree with Rod.

Enjoy your new toy and don't forget to thank your wife!

Happy New Year,

J.

Martin Wasner
12-31-2017, 4:15 PM
just as I will never be riding in a car not equipped with airbags and seat belts.

REALLY? You're missing out on some seriously wonderful experiences in life.

Will Allen
12-31-2017, 4:53 PM

You got that right. I would like to have an old Walker Turner Table saw. When you walk into my shop you will not find a computer controlled tool. You will not find anything with a digital readout, you will not find anything that needs a scanner or a technician to repair. I do not need a car that wakes me up when I am changing lanes or about to ram into a truck. Why? Because I practice safety at all times. After running power tools for fifty years I still have all fingers and have never had a stitch in me. KEEP YOUR DAMN FINGERS AWAY FROM STUFF THAT WILL CUT THEM OFF.

When you have to rely on technology to tell you when you are about to lose a finger or go off a cliff it is time to rethink a few things.

Simon MacGowen
12-31-2017, 5:26 PM
REALLY? You're missing out on some seriously wonderful experiences in life.

Whatever wonderful experiences they may be, you can have all of them. And thank you very much!

Simon

Martin Wasner
12-31-2017, 5:28 PM
Whatever wonderful experiences they may be, you can have all of them. And thank you very much!

Simon

Even an ambulance ride? lol

Simon MacGowen
12-31-2017, 5:36 PM

Check out the PUBLISHED table saw injuries statistics yourself. SawStop (in case anyone still ignorant of the change of ownership or pretending to be ignorant, it is now part of the Festool family) does not make up the injury stories.

The table saw is the MOST used machine in my shop, used almost in EVERY project, even the woodturning ones (blank preparation). If there is one machine that could cut my fingers off, it has to be the table saw, in terms of probability. I have since using the SawStop reduced that probability to almost zero. Why not zero?

When the SawStop is bypassed (twice only, in the last 14 years of SawStop use), the chance of serious finger injury exists on the table saw.

Simon

Simon MacGowen
12-31-2017, 5:38 PM
Even an ambulance ride? lol

I don't consider it a car, sir. It is a truck to me. (Nothing to lol. :D)

Since this is about the SawStop, it is likely the discussion will be locked sooner or later...LOL

Simon

Rick Potter
12-31-2017, 5:48 PM
I kept my old saw. Twice. Glad I did.

Will Allen
12-31-2017, 5:50 PM
Check out the PUBLISHED table saw injuries statistics yourself. SawStop (in case anyone still ignorant of the change of ownership or pretending to be ignorant, it is now part of the Festool family) does not make up the injury stories. The table saw is the MOST used machine in my shop, used almost in EVERY project, even the woodturning ones (blank preparation). If there is one machine that could cut my fingers off, it has to be the table saw, in terms of probability. I have since using the SawStop reduced that probability to almost zero. Why not zero? When the SawStop is bypassed (twice only, in the last 14 years of SawStop use), the chance of serious finger injury exists on the table saw. Simon

There are a lot of accidents with many different tools. Knowing how to safey use them and PRACTICING safety constantly is why I still have all my fingers after running a table saw for the last 50 years.

John Sincerbeaux
12-31-2017, 6:00 PM
“When you have to rely on technology to tell you when you are about to lose a finger or go off a cliff it is time to rethink a few things.”

Really?
If you had half a clue how much technology was onboard commercial airliners to keep you safe, you would “rethink” your rethinking.

Simon MacGowen
12-31-2017, 6:07 PM
There are a lot of accidents with many different tools. Knowing how to safey use them and PRACTICING safety constantly is why I still have all my fingers after running a table saw for the last 50 years.

I have not known or met one single SawStop owner or user who would oppose to your assertion that "Knowing how to safey use them and PRACTICING safety constantly" is very very important. The SawStop is not a replacement of that; the SawStop provides added safety features as an insurance policy only when using the table saw. A miter saw can still cut off fingers without mercy.

I should also add that before and after starting to use the SawStop, I have also relied on what you assert to keep all my fingers intact. We are not in disagreement there.

Simon

Martin Wasner
12-31-2017, 6:08 PM
“When you have to rely on technology to tell you when you are about to lose a finger or go off a cliff it is time to rethink a few things.”

Really?
If you had half a clue how much technology was onboard commercial airliners to keep you safe, you would “rethink” your rethinking.

There's a Airbus versus Boeing comment to be made here, I just can't put it together.

Simon MacGowen
12-31-2017, 6:12 PM
I kept my old saw. Twice. Glad I did.

More power to you. SawStop is not the only solution out there. It is a very good one for those who chose it. The fact that it is the #1 selling cabinet saw in North America must mean something. As expected, the meaning is different to different people.

Simon

Will Allen
12-31-2017, 6:16 PM
There's a Airbus versus Boeing comment to be made here, I just can't put it together.

Are we comparing table saws to jetliners that fly at 600 miles per hour?

Will Allen
12-31-2017, 6:20 PM
SawStops are the greatest. I wish all other saws would get scrapped and sent to the shredder. ( I said that so my post wouldn't get deleted for expressing y own opinion.)

Simon MacGowen
12-31-2017, 6:27 PM
SawStops are the greatest. I wish all other saws would get scrapped and sent to the shredder. ( I said that so my post wouldn't get deleted for expressing y own opinion.)

The SawStops are the greatest today only. All saws will be great when they have the SawStop technology or the equ. (e.g. Bosch Reaxx tech) installed one day when the patents expire. And the prices for new saws with such safety feature will come down due to competition, even when inflation is taken into account.

I hope Festool, with its might and financial resources, will introduce the SawStop tech to more power tools like the miter saw and/or bandsaw.

Simon

Will Allen
12-31-2017, 6:35 PM
The SawStops are the greatest today only. All saws will be great when they have the SawStop technology or the equ. (e.g. Bosch Reaxx tech) installed one day when the patents expire. And the prices for new saws with such safety feature will come down due to competition, even when inflation is taken into account. I hope Festool, with its might and financial resources, will introduce the SawStop tech to more power tools like the miter saw and/or bandsaw. Simon

I can't respond as all my posts get deleted. All hail SawSttop.

Martin Wasner
12-31-2017, 6:42 PM
I can't respond as all my posts get deleted. All hail SawSttop.

Funny how that works.

All hail Sawstop!

Jacob Mac
12-31-2017, 7:20 PM
Funny how that works.

All hail Sawstop!

You guys are just being rude and derailing the thread.

Will Allen
12-31-2017, 7:29 PM

All hail SawStop.

Martin Wasner
12-31-2017, 7:32 PM

When I post from mobile, the link to put me on ignore doesn't show up in my signature. Sorry about that.

AHSS

John Sincerbeaux
12-31-2017, 7:50 PM
Airbus guy here. My response was to the relying on technology statement(see quote) in saws or cars. My jet will warn us if it calcultaes going off the runway. And some airports, the end of a runway is “off a cliff”

Martin Wasner
12-31-2017, 8:21 PM
Airbus guy here. My response was to the relying on technology statement(see quote) in saws or cars. My jet will warn us if it calcultaes going off the runway. And some airports, the end of a runway is “off a cliff”

Sweet! Wheels up, slap that AP and get ready for your cat-III approach.

Then cart wheel through the trees because you can't fly the thing.

What's the Airbus joke? They're going to install a dog and a pilot. The pilot is there to feed the dog, the dog is there to bite the pilot if he touches anything?

Rick Potter
01-01-2018, 1:30 AM
I give up.

I think this thread has run its course.

Carroll Courtney
01-01-2018, 6:42 AM
The man got his self a Saw Stop for Christmas,let him enjoy it.His life,his shop,his saws(notice the s:))