PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use DeltaCad?

Greg Rodie
12-26-2017, 5:18 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and am in learning mode, while I wait to purchase a laser. Thank you all for the years of advise that I have been able to go through some of!
My father-in-Law programs a water jet for granite, and recommends DeltaCad for it's ease of use. I can't find much on it, and was wondering if anyone uses it?

Deep down I doubt anyone uses it, and my real question is...what is the best software to design for beginners these days? Should I just dive in and learn Corel Draw? I don't want to be very limited, but also want to have fast successful designs.

Thank you!

Greg

I hope my future machine is: 65 watt (or 80 watt?) 1000 x 600mm

Ernie Miller
12-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Actually, I've been using DeltaCad for years. Compared to many on the market, it's a reasonably priced 2d CAD program that is relatively easy to learn. That said, it certainly has some weaknesses. No keyboard shortcuts - very unintuitave printing protocol that will drive you nuts until you figure it out - rather clunky drawing features that work but are slow, etc. However, it costs $39.99, and you can't expect elegance in a cheap program. It is, however, capable of doing very precise work, as shown below. I suggest you download the free demo and play with it for a while before buying it.

Ernie

Jamie Buxton
12-27-2017, 12:02 AM
I use DeltaCad. I've been using it for ten or fifteen years. I'm a furniture maker, and use it for shop drawings. My only output from it is printed paper. Dunno how it would connect to an engraver.

Greg Rodie
12-27-2017, 3:11 AM
Thanks, that image looks really good. I realize this thread should be over in the "Engraving Hardware and Software" section. I'm seeing different workflows using multiple software suites. Looks like I'm going to be busy for a while learning and figuring all this out.

Bill George
12-27-2017, 8:17 AM
If your designing for use on a laser engraver, Corel Draw is the way to go. Yes I have access to Fusion 360 and one on my computer for shop or other use, but for the laser.... Corel.

Randy Heinemann
12-27-2017, 10:03 AM
I've used DeltaCad for years and there is nothing easier to learn and use for 2D drawing. I still use DeltaCad if I want to create a quick 2D drawing. However, if you want to create 3D drawings, I think that Sketchup is a good choice. It takes practice to develop your skills but the basic version (which really has the capabilities a woodworker needs) is free online.