PDA

View Full Version : Three shows in two weekends

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-07-2005, 8:02 PM
A week ago, Saturday, we worked a show at a local church. This past Saturday, a nursing home. Yesterday, a show at a winery. There different venues. I wanted to see what would happen. Didn't modify prices.

All three shows started sloooooooooooooooooooowly. It wasn't until the last two hours of each show that I started selling. Before that a lot of "Beautiful Work," etc. Made enough to allow me to buy the Rikon Lathe today, with plenty to spare. Sold a $100.00 Bowl, a bunch of kaleidoscopes, and several pens. Went through 25 cards. Hope they turn into business.

Guess this is a little gloat. I'm Very happy!!!!!!!!

Bruce;)

John Hart
11-07-2005, 8:20 PM
Way to go Bruce!!! I haven't done a show yet. Scared to death I suppose. Congratulations! :)

Andy Hoyt
11-07-2005, 8:33 PM
Congratulations on the sales and the purchase. Really looking forward to hearing about and seeing this Rikon.

Jeremiah Jordan
11-07-2005, 8:59 PM
Good Job on your shows. With college and all I have been just a tad busy and have not turned pens in awhile, in other words me and my dad have two more craft shows coming up and all have left is three pens and ten key phobs:eek:! Have to get back to turning this weekend!;)

Chris Barton
11-08-2005, 7:24 AM
Great news Bruce! Let us know how the Rikon stands up once you get it.

Bill Stevener
11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Great going with the shows Bruce.
Can you elaborate a bit, on what influenced you to go with the Rikon Lathe, if you will. Not that I am looking for a new one, but others may be interested. Thanks,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-08-2005, 9:01 PM
Hey John................Jump in...........The worse thing that can happen is that you don't sell anything, but with the quality of your work, I don't see that hapening.:D :D

Remember, if you DO SELL, then you have money to buy more "TOYS".:cool: :cool:

For those interested in the Rikon. It is the model 70-100. I must add here that I DO work for Woodcraft, but what I am going to tell you here is as objective a review as I can give you.

I currently have a Jet Mini (Non-Variable Speed) that I have been abusing since 2002. It has served me well. I also have a traveling lathe that is a Wilton VS.

I got a chance to use the Rikon 70-100 at a turning demonstration I did three weeks ago. Here's what I found. It has a 12" diameter capacity and a 16" length, vs 10" and 14" on the Jet. It has a 12 point index. The way of changing belt speeds is easier on the Rikon. The Banjo and tool rest are heftier. There is a catch trough over the motor to catch chips and finish.

This is a double edge sword. While it does what it is supposed to do, It restricts the movement of the motor during Pulley changeover.

I tried my best to bog the motor down. Couldn't do it, even while taking a healthy cut with both a 1-1/4" roughing gouge and a 1" skew.

Another minimal drawback it the pully cover. The hole is offset to allow it to rotate past the hand wheel, but needs to be a little more open on the bottom edge.

The only other drawback was the threads on the spindle. They are rough. However, when the chuck is snugged up, there is NO deflection.

I will be giving it a workout. So, after a month or two, I'll report back.

Thanks for the positive comments. What surprised me most is that the shows ran from where most items were less than $10.00 to a full blown ART show with sculptures going for $500.00 and one sold! My stuff runs from $15.00 to $100.00. Go figure!

Bruce;)