PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
12-26-2017, 8:15 AM
26 Dec 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
Another year is almost gone. Christmas weekend was good around my house and lots of love, laughs, and general family time was spent around the kitchen. We had good food and conversation while all were sharing the holiday together.
The LOML helped me work on getting the replacement parts for the chair repair project together and the chair is finished except for me applying the "finish" to the chair. I expect to have this chair and the other one finished this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past Christmas holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
12-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Well, the weekend was a continuation of the week...early last week, a water leak in the kitchen ceiling from the plumbing to my daughter's bathroom above (cold side this time) made for a quick change of plans from working on my project in the shop to working on our kitchen. Rather than rip open "around" the top of the cabinets/refrigerator, I choose to remove the refrigerator and cabinets...and the wall behind them...to gain direct access to the issue. And then, thinking things through (dangerous :eek: :D ) I decided to do a little rearrangement to potentially improve the kitchen environment. The 'fridge has always been located next to the kitchen door. That's where the previous owner had theirs and even with my shifting of things slightly when I renovated in 2003 and utilizing a cabinet-depth appliance, things were still somewhat tight in that space. So I decided to swap the position of a glass front cabinet on the other side of the room with the refrigerator. I had to re-do the drywall anyway...so...that's what I've been working on. Plumbing (PEX has replaced the copper that pin-holes so easily), electrical changes, drywall and mud, cabinet relocation and trim carpentry to blend things in. For the latter, I created a "very short wall--3.5" long" to effectively hide the gap between the back of the refrigerator and the wall and then extended the wainscot and trim.

Other than that, it was a cook nice food and wrap presents kind of weekend. :)

Jay Larson
12-27-2017, 12:48 PM
I know it's Wednesday, but I never took time to look over the extended weekend.
It was a weekend visiting family, and extended family. Went to my sister's on Saturday up in Door County WI. Visited with my nieces and nephew, along with their families.Finally delivered a weeding present to the youngest who got married in Sept.

Sunday I did get to spend some time in the shop working on my table saw cabinet. Milled up the wood for the doors and drawers, plus got the carcass glued up. The we went to my fiance's father's. First time without here mother so it was a bit bittersweet.

I did get a chance to give a tin of homemade furniture wax to a relative. It was made from the beeswax he pulled from a couple of combs last summer. He was almost as happy as the kids...

William Shelley
12-27-2017, 4:27 PM
Jim, that sounds like quite the ordeal.

I also got the chance to tear into a wall in my house, although it was a planned activity. I removed about 8 feet of an unused old brick chimney in the center of the house. I used a small 4-pound hammer to gently "persuade" the bricks free from their mortar. Amazingly, I haven't broken a single brick yet. Tapping them from the inside faces of the chimney just pops them right out. I was terrified of dropping my hammer down the chimney the entire time. I still have about 19 feet of chimney to remove.