PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what brand that Float Control is

Clarence Martinn
12-25-2017, 12:21 AM
374585Anyone know who made that red Float control in the picture above the Boiler.

Clarence Martinn
12-25-2017, 12:49 AM
Found the answer. It's an angle pattern Flo Control Valve. Found the company that still makes them, in the same red color. MY GOD !! THE PRICE!!!!

$435.00 WOW !!

Ronald Blue
12-25-2017, 2:00 PM
It appears to be serviceable. Is it malfunctioning?

Clarence Martinn
12-25-2017, 6:56 PM
Junk built up in the flo control valve over the years. Stuff must have really broke loose when they installed the new boiler. Went through 3 Circulator Pumps since install. On the replacement of the 3rd Circulator Pump, Boiler repairman found that the old flo control valve was sticking in the closed position. Says that they must have used it in combination with an indirect water heater , back in the late 19th Century to sometime in the 1960's. The old water heater in the basement , was from 1961. That was Natural Gas fired. To fix the problem, Boiler repair Man manually turned the Valve to the open position, and says it is now permanently in the open position. I asked him if it acts up again , then what ? They said they would remove that thing, and run copper pipe from there , to the Cast Iron Hot water pipes.

That has got me wondering about my current water heater.

When the old gas water heater bit the dust, It was either get a power vented gas water heater, or go with electric. Checked out the tankless gas water heaters, but with very high iron and very hard water in the Well, I would have needed to get a water softener and an Iron filter so that the water would be usable in the tankless water heater. The tankless version, would have cost over 2 Grand when all the other stuff was added to it. Power vent Gas would have been $1625. Electric was under a Grand. So, we went with electric. If this new electric water heater doesn't work out, I am wondering if there would be much to hooking up an indirect water heater to the new boiler?

Myk Rian
12-28-2017, 5:55 PM
We put in an iron filter for about $2400 IIRC a few years ago. It does such a great job, I've considered turning the softener off.