PDA

View Full Version : My First Little Box......

Corey Hallagan
11-07-2005, 6:59 PM
Ok, it's not nothing fancy or anything like that. Just a little jewelry box that I made my daughter for Christmas that she will enjoy I am sure. I pretty much just concentrated on the basics of construction here and nothing to fancy. Also served as a good tryout for my sleds that I built etc. So here it is, just a little slab top box made out of oak. I have finished it with Watco Danish Oil and then a coat of poly, BLO and MS thinned for a wiping fishish. Still have to buff out and put on a couple more coats. Special thanks to Mike Stafford, The Box King for his help and also to Lee DeRaud for his most kind assistance.

Corey

Roy Wall
11-07-2005, 7:15 PM
Corey,

Your daughter will love it! Nice :)

What are the dimensions??

john whittaker
11-07-2005, 7:35 PM
Hi Corey, congrats on another first. It looks great. Daughter will love it.

I was wondering....I know you used the new sleds and assume you used a miter sled for the 45's??? Did you stand the oak on edge and run it through? Does most everybody do it that way? Does anyone just tilt the blade to 45 and dial it in until it right on? Just curios on how you and others make this cut as I'll be doing it soon myself. My first box is coming.....

Randy Moore
11-07-2005, 7:37 PM
Corey, That is a nice looking box. Like Roy said what is the demensions?

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-07-2005, 7:41 PM
Very nice box. Sometimes "Basic" is elegant.

Bruce

Dan Forman
11-07-2005, 7:42 PM
Cory---Looks good, I predict it will be a hit with the little lady.

Dan

Michael Stafford
11-07-2005, 7:44 PM
Congratulations, Corey. The next one will be easier. Looks great and I know the little lady in your life will love it and that is the most important thing.:D Just keep plugging away and have fun.

Corey Hallagan
11-07-2005, 7:52 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. The box is about 7 inches long, 2 1/2 inches tall and 3 3/4 wide, something like that anyway, pretty small, it will be a earing box as she isn't old enough for the real eye candy but that is coming soon as she is a girl thru and thru :), I think she is going to be the recipient of alot of little boxes from me :) Mom isn't all that much into jewelry herself.

John, I used my miter sled on this one as the heigth of the work was within the limits of the saw on edge. If the box was much taller I would have to use 45 degree bevel cuts as you say instead. I like the ease of using the sled as there is no adjustments to make and it makes perfect matching corners. For using 45 bevel cuts once you do a couple test cuts and are happy that you have a perfect 45 setting then do your bevel cuts, no problem and if you have a good miter guage with a stop on it you can do repetitive cuts easily that way.

The box is a basic rectangle with 45 corners with a 1/8 inch groove that accepts the 1/8 hardboard bottom. I will use a nice material glued to card stock for the bottom. The box sits in a rabbeted base that is also mitered at the corners. It is just glued at all corners.

Thanks again,
Corey

Vaughn McMillan
11-07-2005, 8:01 PM
The box looks great, Corey. I'm sure the recipient will be tickled pink when she gets it. Thanks for the pics.

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
11-07-2005, 8:03 PM
Um, ok, maybe I didn't get the memo about the spelling change, but in the last two days both you and Don Baer rather badly mangled my name the exact same way. What's up with that?

Corey Hallagan
11-07-2005, 8:08 PM
Please accept my apology Lee! I fixed it. I am gong to blame Don and say that it was fresh in my mind from his post :) Sorry Lee, you deserved much better than that!

Corey

John Hart
11-07-2005, 8:14 PM
Nice job Corey! She'll have it when she's eighty. I like your finishing ideas too.:)

BTW...I didn't get the memo either Leah!!:D

Lee DeRaud
11-07-2005, 8:57 PM
Please accept my apology Lee! I fixed it. I am gong to blame Don and say that it was fresh in my mind from his post :) Sorry Lee, you deserved much better than that!No problem, just curious how both of you came up with the same mangling. My name gets buggered up all sorts of ways, but that was one I'd never seen.:p

Corey Hallagan
11-07-2005, 9:07 PM
Lee, are you kidding me, I am no stranger to name bungling! :) Have you seen my handle? I have been called everything from Halogen to Hallyhogan. And I was just kidding on blaming it on Don! I should have taken the time to correctly spell it. It will not happen again sir! Oh BTW, good one Jahn! :D

Corey
P.S. it reminds me of the time when my Aunt gave me pencils for Christmas when I was a kid. This is my moms sister we spent lots of time with. The pencils said "Kourie" :D

Dan Larson
11-07-2005, 9:15 PM
Great box Corey! The cutout at the bottom of the base is a nice design element-- it gives the box a lighter look.

Dan

Corey Hallagan
11-07-2005, 9:23 PM
Thanks again guys. Dan, i stole that from Freidmans Box Making basics. I thought it made it look like a miniature chest, which is why I have taken to box making. Basically they are miniatures of large projects and many of the basics are actually fine wood working techniques refined to a smaller size. I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on just wood for a project, box making is a little more affordable from that angle.
I hope to make many more boxes and I have some beautiful walnut and maple I can't wait to mill up and put some "oil" on! I can only hope they look as good as some of the work I have seen here!

Corey