PDA

View Full Version : Making a new handle for a one-man cross-cut saw

Anthony Whitesell
12-23-2017, 3:31 PM
Long story made very short. I need to make a new handle for a one-man cross-cut saw.

I have access to a variety of typical popular woods. Which would be best?

I also need to get some of the screws to hold the handle on (one is missing and the other saw used off-the-shelf bolts and nuts.

Leo Graywacz
12-23-2017, 4:50 PM
Hard Maple for toughness.

Or if you want it to be more of a presentation pc, Walnut or Cherry.

Brent Cutshall
12-23-2017, 4:55 PM
I used black oak for mine, but just about any of the ones you've listed would work. People keep saying it's gonna split but it's going strong and I use that thing a lot, in the rain too. I wouldn't use poplar. As for screws, I usually buy junker saws and salvage the screws.

Anthony Whitesell
12-23-2017, 7:48 PM
I have made a few handles for jigs and I make my own three-ply wood to keep the handles from splitting. Granted they were for jigs and not for a saw. But I was thinking that since it worked so far, to keep rolling the dice.
I'm particularly concerned about presentation. I'm more concerned about splinters and splintering. I know I included red oak, by in my experience it is prone to splinter, I believe due to the late/early wood interfaces or perhaps the large open grain (don't know, just a stab in the dark based on past experience).

Pat Barry
12-23-2017, 8:28 PM
i think Apple.

Brent Cutshall
12-24-2017, 7:14 AM
i think Apple.
Ooooh apple's great. I love apple.

steven c newman
12-24-2017, 9:58 AM
Hmmmm, like handles made for these saws?

Anthony Whitesell
12-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Hmmmm, like handles made for these saws?

That's what I'm talking about.