PDA

View Full Version : Look at this Loy

Jim Ketron
11-07-2005, 4:59 PM
:D Nope I have taken a break from turning for the last few weeks. after all the show turning, I needed it! There is plenty of wood left here in Va. I just got some Hard Maple yesterday. A few burls, crotches, some Blanks has some nice curl and some don't but all should make some nice hollow forms and Bowls:D
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Hardmaple.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Hardmaple2.jpg

sascha gast
11-07-2005, 5:29 PM
I hate you, I really do, you have now idea how hard it is to find nice wood in /around Los angeles. palm trees and pine and some more palm trees.

great score and I am green with envy

Sascha

Keith Burns
11-07-2005, 7:35 PM
OK Jim, anybody can throw a bunch of wood in the back of their truck, but we must see bowls !!!:D

Michael Stafford
11-07-2005, 7:50 PM
Keith, don't encourage him. Single handed Jim is responsible for most of the deforestation in western Virginia.....But I will Jim credit where it is due. When he gets a piece of wood he does something wonderful with it.:D

Karl Laustrup
11-07-2005, 8:03 PM
palm trees and pine and some more palm trees.

Sascha

You forgot Eucalyptus Sasha. I don't know how it would turn, but I do remember it burns hotter than ............ well lets just say I used to have to buy a new grate every year cause the eucalyptus burned so hot it would just about melt the grate.

Too bad you don't live up here, Jim. The golf course has cut a couple dozen trees this fall. Cherry, maple and I don't know what all. Lots of burls and crotch wood. All going into someones fireplace. I don't have one of them spinny thingys so I can't use it.

Karl

John Hart
11-07-2005, 8:18 PM
Nice haul Jim! I wanna see what that conical shaped piece turns out to be. What's it look like on the other side??

Loy Hawes
11-07-2005, 8:31 PM
Nice wood gloat! I figured you must have taken a break after all that turnin'. Did this come out of that burn pile?

Jim Ketron
11-07-2005, 8:32 PM
Thanks guys!
There is plenty more where this come from my buddy logs for a living. There is a huge piece that has a crotch it in its about 40" wide and 30" deep the limb comes out 90 and growes right beside the other limb wildest crotch I have ever seen got to catch my logging buddy with a bigger saw down there to get it! way to big for my 18" bar Stihl.
John that piece come from a crotch I don't know what I'm going to make with it yet.

Loy Hawes
11-07-2005, 8:43 PM
A buddy that's a logger! Now if that isn't the best friend to have for a turner I don't know what is!

Mark Cothren
11-07-2005, 11:57 PM
That stinkin' Jim cuts more wood than a pond full of long-toothed beavers...

Nice haul!

Jim "The Treeminator" Ketron

Travis Stinson
11-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Cherry, maple and I don't know what all. Lots of burls and crotch wood. All going into someones fireplace.

Karl
OHHHHHHH, THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Carole Valentine
11-08-2005, 1:02 AM
Jim, I sure wish you would make a trip to the eastern part of the State! :D I have all this wood on the farm and no one to help me fell it and get it home. :( Sunday I was out there walking and found some nice holly that is about 14" in diameter. I'm gonna get one of those trees down if it kills me! You know, you really do make me sick with all that wood...here the rest of us are trying to beg, borrow, steal and dump hunt for wood and you have a friend who is a LOGGER!!!!! Arrrrgh! I'm green!:p

John Hart
11-08-2005, 6:12 AM
That stinkin' Jim cuts more wood than a pond full of long-toothed beavers...

Mark Cothren....The New Dan Rather! ;)

Mark Cothren
11-08-2005, 7:21 AM
Ol' Dan was the first person I ever heard say, "Madder than a rained-on rooster"... :D But I'm glad he's off the tube now... :mad:

<b>The Virginia Chainsaw Massacre, starring Jim Ketron</b>

Chris Barton
11-08-2005, 7:27 AM
Great haul Jim! I can wait to see what great pieces will come out of you work shop now.

John Miliunas
11-08-2005, 8:10 AM
Too bad you don't live up here, Jim. The golf course has cut a couple dozen trees this fall. Cherry, maple and I don't know what all. Lots of burls and crotch wood. All going into someones fireplace. I don't have one of them spinny thingys so I can't use it.

Karl

What??? WHAT???!!! So, what am I??? Chopped liver??? You got all this stuff coming down in your back yard and you don't let your buddy know about it???? WHAT???!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad: :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
11-08-2005, 8:52 AM
OOOPS! :o :o

Kinda forgot that you got one of them spinny things. Next time you're up we'll go over and see what's available. Besides I figured you'd be knee deep in alligators with the stair project. :D

Most humble apologies Kemo-Sabe.

Karl

John Miliunas
11-08-2005, 8:58 AM
OOOPS! :o :o

Kinda forgot that you got one of them spinny things. Next time you're up we'll go over and see what's available. Besides I figured you'd be knee deep in alligators with the stair project. :D

Most humble apologies Kemo-Sabe.

Karl

LOL! You're right about being knee-deep w/the stair project but, always on the lookout for nice turning stock! Especially the burl stuff. Jill loves most anything I crank out w/burl. Well, OK...So do I!:D Probably will touch base w/you soon! Thanks!:) :cool:

Bill Stevener
11-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Nice going Jim,:eek:
I have 3.5 miles of virgin forest behind my home, however, it is all in a green belt, and can not be touched, forever wild. Even if you had a silencer on your chain saw, it would still bring trouble. The blow down is also left to decay, (just rot).
Well, at least someone had the insight to leave something in IL. rather than corn and beans as far as one can see.
Bill.>>>>>>>:)

chris sims
11-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Hello all,
I made a sweet deal with one of the local arborist. It seems that he has to pay for the land fill fee's to dump his trees that clients pay him to remove. I just assist him in taking the fee's off his belt. I was able to get him to hold back hard wood's from his chipper and once a month I retrieve them from him. Just a thought for you guy's to try in your area..... Chris