PDA

View Full Version : LV small plow plane or VSPP

Mike Holbrook
12-22-2017, 2:38 PM
I have been experiencing issues with my VSPP. My large blades and extra skate came with chip deflectors, so I ended up with two. The chip dheflector does not seem to prevent the mouth from clogging, almost immediately. I sharpened the blade but, the 1/2 blade and extra skate seem to clog very rapidly. It seems difficult to make minor adjustments to how much wood I am attempting to remove, which may be the issue. Maybe I am missing something in set up or use of this tool?

Patrick Chase
12-22-2017, 2:50 PM
This is hard to diagnose without pictures and without know what "almost immediately" means.

Metal combos/ploughs have marginal shaving ejection (compared to their wooden side-escapement counterparts). You have to manually pick shavings out of them every so often to keep them going in my experience, but what you describe sounds worse than that.

What wood are you planing, how thick are the shavings, and how far do you get before it clogs? Also, how wide is the opening between the edge and the "mouth" part of each skate?

Jim Koepke
12-22-2017, 4:02 PM
My understanding is the chip deflectors are only used with the match blades.

Here is my review of the VSPP:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419-VSPP-Veritas-Small-Plow-Plane

Included in the thread are links to Derek Cohen's review, a worthwhile read.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
12-22-2017, 4:22 PM
I just cut a slot in the brass knob that holds the depth stop/chip deflector in place. I suspect that mine has been slipping around as others have experienced. Will try this first.

Simon MacGowen
12-22-2017, 4:29 PM
Check if you installed the deflector correctly. Not a silly question as I had seen a user putting the deflector backwards.
Yes, a picture or two would help others understand your problem better.
Simon

lowell holmes
12-22-2017, 5:56 PM
I have a Veritas Small Plow Plane. I do have a problem though, Harvey seams to have misplaced all of the cutters.

Mike Holbrook
12-22-2017, 10:27 PM
I have read Derek’s information: on the original Small Plow Plane, then his article on the upgrade kits for this plane. Which is why I am relatively confident that I am putting the chip deflector in correctly. The Veritas information is helpful in that regard as well. Derek’s articles are also where I believe I got the idea of altering the knob holding the chip deflector in.

The slot in the knob is helping. Not sure if this fix will prove the ultimate solution. I will see about taking pictures if I continue to have issues, just have not had time to do it today and my normal way of posting pictures is currently unavailable.

I was hoping to get input from those using these planes about any problems they may have with chip/shavings failiing to exit the plane or problems with either of the depth adjustments.

Mike Holbrook
12-23-2017, 1:58 PM
I believe my fence is slipping along the extended fence posts I am using as well. I had to re set the fence several times, as gaps kept showing up. I fiddled with making pressure against the fence and was able to get it to slide along the posts a little, despite the locking nuts being relatively tight. It may be that my issue has to do with the distances from the fence not being equal along the 57 1/2” long grooves I am making. I can see that there is some variation.

I have been using two longer fence posts that came with my LV Skew Rabbet plane, which seemed to fit. I have not been able to verify that these posts are interchangeable. Does anyone know whether the two types of fence post should work interchangeably?

Chet R Parks
12-23-2017, 2:33 PM
Mike, The fence rods for the VSPP and the LV skew rabbet are identical for diameter .312, the thread diameter of 10-32 and the thread length of 5/16 long. This is probably a stupid question but are you waxing the skates and fence?? Just an after thought, you might want to try retracting the blade so it's not taking a cut and move the plane thru the slot feeling for any binding which might move the fence. If no binding is felt then maybe the problem is in the blade position. Just a guess on my part. Good luck.
Chet