PDA

View Full Version : Step back cupboard, a build thread

steven c newman
12-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Time to get busy. hauled two planks to the shop, tonight. Mr. Gumption picks some strange times to show up...;)
Marked the first one, in order to get two blanks out of it. Second one only had enough for one blank.....got out a saw..
A D-112, and that big, old square. Was only trying for a rough length, fine tune after they are glued up.:cool:
Saw worked great, cut straight as the operator would allow:rolleyes: and gave me a Cardio workout, as well. Second plank had quite a bit left over..
Thinking either a door, or a drawer front. Camera wanted to turn things a reddish colour..
And, somehow, I doubt IF that is flat sawn...
Doesn't quite look like it, does it? needed to joint a few edges, and get ready for a glue-up..
Will see how the grain looks when I go to glue them up. Jointer?
Stanley No. 7c. Little square to check the edges for square. MK1 Eyeball to check the edge is straight.
Maybe I can get an earlier start, tomorrow? Need to get these three sitting in the clamps, and OFF my bench....I have two more panels to get ready.

This will be one side, there will be a matching side done...and a "top" done. Feet will need to be cut out along the bottom edge. Top edge has other things to be done to it....it is a start, at any rate.....Stay tuned:D

steven c newman
12-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Brunch is done, waiting on it to settle. Will try to get a few things done today.....we'll see.

Film @ 2300 ZULU.....;)

steven c newman
12-22-2017, 2:35 PM
Pictures of what little happened, so far today....( 2+ hours, working too hard for a Friday)
Jointed a few more edges, until the gaps go away. Top board is just sitting there, nothing holding it...
Finally, got out the clamps and a new bottle of glue.....fought both until...
I got this heavy thing OFF my bench, and out of the way. I had to use a couple of cauls, too.

Ok, started to haul more planks to the shop. Goal was to cut enough at 35-1/2" long, to make the second side panel....then trim the leftovers for a 26-1/2" wide panel for the top of the case... I tried to use that frame saw.....it wanted to lean too much in the cut. Will shoot the end grain once the panels are flattened.
Anyway, got out the D-112 and made a few better cuts..
By the time I got the boards cut to length and the ends almost square..
Was getting a bit tuckered out. Decided a breaktime was in order.
As for that end grain..
"Very interesting"
Later today....I might get back to the shop, have a few edges to joint...stay tuned:D

steven c newman
12-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Weather outside my window looking rather ...ugly. Might just go and hide in the shop today....have 6 boards to get the edges jointed, and a "filler" strip to make. Filler will try to match the other three boards in the "top" panel. needs a bit of overhang out the front. Have nasty looking plank, might just cut the "best" section out.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
12-23-2017, 1:15 PM
Yep, nasty outside..
Welcome sign is for people...NOT for that white stuff on everything.

Hauled an ugly plank to the shop..
The other end wasn't much better...
Bit of a curve to it, as well. I cut off the bad ends, as I only needed about 26" or so
I didn't need the full width, either....laid out two STRAIGHT lines, 2-1/2" apart. Removed the lines ..
And kept the middle piece. Piece on the right shows why there was a curve....
Got the jointer planes out, and a #4 ...just the joint the edges for a good glue joint....some were better than others..
Well.. I do need a rebate along the back edge of the top's panel. #7c jointed what was left of the edge.
After all 8 edges were jointed, parts marked as to where each edge meets which edge....battery on the camera started to die....and my back was acting up.

Decided on a long Lunch Break, and wait on the camera battery to recharge...Need to get panel #1 out of the clamps, and panel #2 in to the clamps. Later, I might get the top panel glued up? That #4? I used that to square an edge, or two. Had a couple ROUGH edges that needed a cambered jack.
That steel ruler? Called a Tinners Rule.....for tinsmiths to measure metal to make all sorts of metal cans...makes a decent straight edge, too.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
12-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Feeling under the weather today....
Maybe I COULD glue up the smaller panel, today....between trips to the bathroom...:(

steven c newman
12-24-2017, 8:10 PM
Decided to just take the weekend off....happy Holidays..

David Eisenhauer
12-24-2017, 9:54 PM
Same to you and yours Steven C. Thanks for the project thread.

steven c newman
12-26-2017, 12:50 AM
Amazing....I am still wide awake, and it is after Midnight here.....so, since it IS Tuesday..now, I could do a wee bit in the shop..besides a bit of Laundry

Went to the shop to check on a Stanley No. 5 jack plane.....Wasn't quite a match for another thread's question...

Decided to at least try to do a glue up.....not really a fan of Gorilla Glue..set one plank into the leg vise, spread some glue, grab the next in line, moosh it around into the glue...repeat until all four pieces are sitting there.....Added a few clamps and cauls.....got a load of clothes out of the dryer, and refilled the dryer with more clothes..

Panel #1 is also out of the clamps....wood had shrunk just enough to make the clamps loose.....

have a $50 Gift card from the Blue BORG.....may go shopping for a few boards....need drawer parts. And a plywood panel for the backs of the case and bottom of the drawer.
Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
12-26-2017, 9:47 AM
Last night's glue up is out of the clamps, now have side panel #2 sitting in the clamps....waiting on the glue to dry. Took a couple cauls, and a bunch of clamps.....

Will see how it looks this afternoon, maybe later this evening.....need to go buy a few things this morning....after I put a Brass Monkey back together ( single digits outside, right now....) anything below 55 degrees should be outlawed....or, I need to hibernate til spring...

steven c newman
12-26-2017, 4:45 PM
Last glue up is out of the clamps....Picked up a 36 grit sanding belt to try out. Not all of the boards were the same thickness, thought I would hog the worst off with the beltsander, then finish up with the planes. Picked up a 1 x 6 for the drawer sides, some 1 x 2 for a couple web frames, and a 1/4" x 2' x 4' plywood panel, for the case's back, and the drawer bottom. Need to saw out the feet profiles for the bottom edge of the side panels. And hope the two side panels match for width...need to square the ends, too.

This might take a while. stay tuned

steven c newman
12-26-2017, 8:38 PM
OK, I remembered to take the camera down to the shop...That Shopsmith 36 grit "Ceramic" sanding belt hogged most of the excess wood...dusty mess...

Followed up with a few of these things..
Stanley #70 works great to remove any dried up glue..
A Junior jack plane to level a few high spots a bit better,,
Fine tune things with a couple of these....
Ends of both panels are square, they match each other for length and width..
Tomorrow, I can trace out the "foot" profiles, and saw those out. Might even work on the panel for the top..
These panel are a bit on the heavy side, though. I am a dusty, sweaty mess, and quite tired out. Need a nap.

That will do until tomorrow..stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
12-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Thought about using a Frame & Raised Panel for the sides of this case.....but, since this will sit back into a corner beside the chimney, went with glued up sides. Takes a lot longer to do it this way. There is a bottom shelf and a middle shelf to make. They will be out of 3/4 Plywood, and I will use sliding dovetails to assemble them to the sides.

1 x 2s to build a pair of webframes, one above the drawer that will also attach the top to the case, the second one is for the drawer to slide on. A face frame will be made from the Ash, and attached with a Tongue & Groove joint to the front edge of the side panels. Right now, it looks like there will be a single door, with a raised panel.

No real plan on paper, working from a single picture I once saw...all else is in my head. IF anyone wants the sizes of the parts...let me know.

Graham Haydon
12-27-2017, 1:55 PM
Nice progress. Working along in the workshop with the cold biting outside is a real treat. My woodworking over Christmas has been to put up a wooden curtain pole! Look forward to seeing the finished item.

steven c newman
12-27-2017, 7:10 PM
While this computer was getting scanned, defragged, and whatever else it needed done, I wandered down to the shop for a bit...

Got this "Vintage" saw out.
.374753:eek:

Traced out a few curves and such, and removed the waste part..
This was after both panels got their "feet". I clamped them together, as I wanted one edge planed..
Still have the top edges to trim to match each other. I wanted one "good" edge, so I can run the Stanley 45 along it, to make a tongue to match the groove in the face frame. I can use this planed egde to reference to when I lay out the shelves, and the webframes' locations. Back edges will get a rebate to house the plywood back panel.

More running around today, kind of puts a crimp in shop time.....will need a couple full days IN the shop, just to get caught up...may have to stock the shop with a case of Mountain Dew, too.
Maybe tomorrow, eh? Stay tuned, the cussing hasn't even started...yet:rolleyes:

steven c newman
12-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Laid out the locations for two web frames..
By using the drawer front blank, and allowing for the face frame around the opening..
Yep, that is a corded router sitting there. I also set up where the two shelves would go, and marked center lines..
I used the square to measure from the center of a router bit, out to the edge of the router's base...3". Square was then used to set up a guide fence
I have a Home-Made fence, that works to guide routers, circular saws, and can be clamped as a rip fence on Jobsite saws.
Under the far end, there is a cleat, set 90 degrees to the side of the fence. Couple clamps to hold the fence in place is all that is needed. I did check with a larger square, the same one I used to lay out these locations...
Will be using this sort of router bit, to make a sliding dovetail, to house the plywood shelves..
But, since everyone was asleep in the house, I'll have to wait a while. I also have a edge guide for this router, will set it up to do the ends of the shelves.
Once the sockets are done (all four, 2 per side)and the shelves are cut to size, I can set the edge guide ( without changing the bit's settings) to make the "tails" on the edge of the plywood.

Unsure right now about any dado or groove to house the webframes.....also need a rebate along the back edge of the sides, for a back panel. Those may get cut with a plane..or two.

Stay tuned:D

David Eisenhauer
12-28-2017, 11:30 AM
That older jitterbug saw looks familiar - an older DeWalt? You are right about a tailed router and sleeping nearby - ain't happening.

steven c newman
12-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Sabre saw is a B&D....There is also an all metal version in the house....

The "sleeping Beauties upstairs are FINALLY stirring around......maybe in an hour or so...I can get back to work...

steven c newman
12-28-2017, 9:11 PM
Wasn't that great of a day....got one panel done..
Used this to lay out the other panel to match....got all the lines done, got things set up to run the router again.....got about this for..
When this happened..
Grrrrr, needed to try to use that spare bit....but, the single flute bit merely burned it's way across. Took a few tries to find a place that sells a bit...Menard's had CMT Orange box bits,,,,With all the running around today.....shopping wasn't going to good...
Wire wheel was from H-F..yep, they had dt bits, IF you buy the entire set...NOT. Same with Lowes..Not. I picked a saw blade for my little 6" SKIL saw..
Figured I can use it to cut a couple plywood panels.
Maybe tomorrow, I can get back to work? Stay tuned....

steven c newman
12-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Time out for Lunch!....New saw blade is installed...will see how it goes later today...
New router bit? Cuts like a new router bit...
Had to readjust the depth, was a hair shallow. With that out of the way, back to hand plane work...
Set up the #45 with a 3/16" tongue cutter bit. Results are on the left..
Face frame will get a matching groove. Mainly to align the glue joint, and add a bit more surface for the glue...The Chisel Dresser sticks out for a reason...
Gives the slab something to rest on. Got the front edges of both panels done...
Lots of "Crunchies" I needed to keep swept up. Reset the Stanley 45..
Used a #17 straight cutter, barely had to adjust anything but the fence, had to cut a rebate..
A few knots along the way....finally got down to where a 1/4" piece of plywood will set flush to the outside..
Got the rebates done, set the panels aside, and the Stanley 45. Needed to get these joints made, so I can size the shelves, and web frames better. Don't want them sticking out the back of the case.

Maybe after a Lunch Break, I can size two plywood shelves. Maybe mill a dovetail on the ends? Then build two webframes?

With the "Snowstorm" coming in today, might be a good idea to just stay home and in the shop?
Stay tuned ( what's fer Lunch?)

steven c newman
12-29-2017, 8:49 PM
Had to wait until after Supper, but, this Vintage saw..
Worked just fine, to break down some 3/4" plywood for the two shelves....once I figured out what sizes I needed. To make the matching dovetail for the sliding dovetail joint, I added a fence to the router....and left the bit alone..
Had to clamp an extra board along the edge of the plywood, for something the router could slide on....panels were a tad bowed ( BORG plywood) so the extra board helped flatten that out...at least until I could make this cut...
Two clamps for this part, and..
A leg vise, and a c clamp for this part. Had to make 8 cuts, two on each end, to make two shelves...was finally able to "hammer" things together...
No glue was needed. I set the blank for the top in place...
And figured that was enough, for one day's work. More to do, but it can wait til tomorrow.....
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
12-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Have the Stanley #2246 Mitre box set up on the bench. I suppose I should meander down and start building two webframes? Maybe cut and install a back on the case?

Maybe rip some Ash to make the face frame. All the above beats looking out the window..4" on the ground, and still snowing. Will be a good week to hibernate in the shop.

Sooo, maybe a bit of Brunch ( 2nd Breakfast, according to Pippen?) then off the the Dungeon?

steven c newman
12-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Started hauling items to the shop, and forgot about Second Breakfast...oh well....Had a problem down in the shop, Drill I had been using, the battery died..
Brought down both chargers....only to find one didn't work any longer...I have a spare drill in the shop, to use while the battery gets charged up...but..
I can't get TO the dang thing. Sooo...
Good thing I have a third drill handy....of course, it was upstairs...
I also set up a "sliding mitresaw"...
You were expecting something with a cord? Got the rest of the divider web frame pieces cut to length. Then cut some tenons..
I tend to do tenons first. Then I set up a little jig...
Doesn't look like much? Have had this jig for a few years....
This is for mortise work. On these dividers, I saw a bit on the end, chop a hole at the other end of the mortise, and just pop the waste out.
Test fit.
Stay tuned, more to be told to this story...:D

steven c newman
12-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Ok, part 2 of this morning's episode..

Once all four corners were done....some glue and a few small nails were used. Used a clamp to pull things tight. Checked for square.
I use a "kicker" to keep a drawer from tipping down, when you open the drawer a bit too much..
The kicker cane be close to the center. It does not actually guide anything. Drawers back will rub along it, about all. Really not needed to be perfectly square.

I drilled a few pilot holes so I can attach this frame to the top of the case...Needed a clamp to hold things a bit..
Three screws on each end. The center one has a spot of glue. I drilled the holes slightly over sized. The case's top will also get attached to this frame, using slotted holes. So far, so good...
Still need to build the frame the drawer will slide on....there will be wooden guides along the sides. Might also start on the face frame...
Letting Lunch settle, first, then we'll see want else happens in the shop..
Stay tuned:D

steven c newman
12-30-2017, 7:01 PM
Not sure what happened to those three photos in the last post, oh well..

Get the other webframe assembled, and installed.....this one doesn't need the kicker,though..
Same as before, three screws on each end, through oversized holes..
On the way to the shop, I picked out another Ash board....have plans for it..
Well, I WAS going to use this D-23...until I found out the teeth's set was almost gone (will fix THAT some other day) so the cross cut was done with an older saw
A Disston D-112. Then set up the bandsaw....
Yep, the same fence I used for the router, works decently enough here. Need two stiles @ 1-1/2 wide..
I got two decent ones, and a third not so decent one out of the one part of the 4/4 x 6....the bad one has a warped end....

Ok, next episode, as I have a bit more than 8 pictures....stay tuned...

steven c newman
12-30-2017, 7:08 PM
Where was I..? Ok, there was a shorter cut-off from that plank. I ran it through the saw..
Needed three "rails" got two good ones, and one with a bit of bark still on board....Did some measuring, cut these three to the length needed, and that curvy long board as well. Cut was just before the curved part started...may keep the waney edge piece..
And make the bottom rail a wee bit wider? And, leave the waney edge showing.
Figured I had done enough for one day....closed up the shop. Maybe tomorrow, I may get something else done?
Stay tuned...

David Eisenhauer
12-31-2017, 9:25 AM
How is the temperature in your shop? Mine warmed up a little the last couple of days, but is due to drop back down again. I keep my glue in the house and have emptied my sharpening stone baths. Chisels and planes are sharp for now, so all OK on that front.

Pat Barry
12-31-2017, 9:50 AM
It was -17 F outside my shop yesterday morning, the same today. Inside a not quite comfortable 20 F. Can't do much in that temperature. My little heater doesn't keep up. I have an epoxy glue up to do ( need some gap filling for some sliding dovetails). They will have to wait. Maybe Monday I can bring it inside.

Stewie Simpson
12-31-2017, 10:11 AM
It was a bit chilly in my workshop today. (+) 68 F.

steven c newman
12-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Shop is in a basement......right now, I may need to wear a sweater down there. 4" of snow on the ground outside, and flurries today. The furnace does have a vent into the basement....

Need to set up the Stanley 45 to plough a groove, after I get the edges of the stiles jointed. May have to get the No. 0-7 out of the til for that. Maybe after "Second Breakfast", eh?

steven c newman
12-31-2017, 10:49 AM
Seenings how the Dungeon Shop is below ground, in a basement.....Weather outside is in the single digits..above zero....ground temp is falling...may need to wear a sweater to the shop today....4+" of the white crap on the ground outside.....I HATE WINTER!

steven c newman
12-31-2017, 6:02 PM
Sweater was almost too much...or maybe I was working too hard, today?;)
Got out the big plane today..
Used this to joint the edges on two stiles, then ganged them up, and made sure they matched each other...
Laid out for a groove, and got the Stanley #45 set up...
To match the tongue I milled on the case's sides. More to align the glue joint....wasn't all that deep..
Set these two aside, and ganged up three rails

So I could joint their edges, and make sure they matched each other..
Millers Falls No. 11 was used, this time. Ends were in need of squared up..
So, this "sliding mitersaw" was put to use. I clamped the stiles to the front of the case..
And made a few more lay-outs....
Stay tuned, part 2 coming right up...:D

steven c newman
12-31-2017, 6:09 PM
Ok, laid out for the tenons...they aren't all that big, just enough to do the job..
Decided to trim them just a bit....
I had to readjust the mortise jig, stiles are a hair thicker than the webframe parts were...7/8"?
Time to chop a few holes..
One down, 5 to go..
Two done. This will be the drawer's opening. Turned the stile end for end..
This is for in front of the bottom shelf. Haven't decided on adding the live edged part to this one. Yet.
One stile is now all mortised up. Taking a supper break, before I work on the other stile.
Stay tuned

steven c newman
01-01-2018, 4:03 PM
Today being a Monday, AND a Holiday...woodshop is closed for the day. Have a Happy New Year, people!

steven c newman
01-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Tuesday? Already? I suppose I should meander to the shop, sometime today? Maybe after Lunch?

steven c newman
01-02-2018, 5:39 PM
Ok, to get my mind off of other troubles at the house...:(, went to the shop for a while....
Had three of these to do. Fancy handled chisel is curved, to clean out the bottoms of mortises...
Once those were done, there was a "fight"....to get things glued and clamped up..somehow..
Wasn't as easy as it looked. Rotated this AFTER one end was finally clamped down. Then worked my way up. Then set this thing aside, until the glue cures
Next, since the bench was clear, the plywood panel for the back and the drawer bottom was cut to sizes needed..at least for the back panel...somehow got the case up onto to the bench..
Then glue, screws and nails to attach the plywood back..
Then set this mess back onto the floor. Holes were drilled through the top webframe. A center hole and two slotted holes on each end.
Dug out the panel for the top of the case...and set it on the bench to flatten it out, a bit..
Got the left end squared to the back edge. Somehow got the case back on to the bench, and center to the left edge and the back edge...then came the screws
Screws were about 1/8" too long, grinder to reduce their length, AFTER I started a "pilot" hole with them.
The one showing is in a slotted hole, another is clear in the back, and the is a center one along the side. Got this mess back onto the floor, to work on the top a bit...
Needed flattened, front and right edge needed trimmed down..
Then set this out of the way, until tomorrow
When I can get the face frame installed. Then maybe a drawer, and a door or two? Stay tuned...

Chris Hachet
01-03-2018, 2:44 PM
Seenings how the Dungeon Shop is below ground, in a basement.....Weather outside is in the single digits..above zero....ground temp is falling...may need to wear a sweater to the shop today....4+" of the white crap on the ground outside.....I HATE WINTER!My garage shop has two electric heaters running full tilt to keep it warm at 4 degrees outside. And it is insulated.

Chris Hachet
01-03-2018, 2:45 PM
Today being a Monday, AND a Holiday...woodshop is closed for the day. Have a Happy New Year, people!...and a happy new year to you as well.

Chris Hachet
01-03-2018, 2:46 PM
Staying tuned...

steven c newman
01-03-2018, 8:32 PM
Since the Dugeon Shop is in the basement....seems to stay fairly warm....

Errands were run today. Then a wee bit of shopwork....Used the coarse grit belt sander to try to hog down a few high spots....sander didn't like all the Ash dust it was eating..went with an older standby..
Junior Jack, by Millers Falls. Made a big mess on the floor..
yeah....and on me. What good news there was, today....
When I took the face frame out of the clamps...it didn't blow apart....test the drawer opening against the drawer front blank I WAS going to use....3" too smaller, side to side, but a tight fit..top to bottom...figures. :( Guess the blank will now become a raised panel, inone of the doors.

Going to need a few extra hands, later. And about every clamp I can find, when I go to glue the face frame in place....might even make R. Lee Ermy blush, from all the cussing that will go on:eek::rolleyes:

Had to break up a cat fight....and throw a Tom out the back door......now have a BIG hole in the palm of my hand. First aid for that, and Tater Tot Casserole for supper
I think the shop can wait until tomorrow....stay tuned.

Pat Barry
01-04-2018, 7:54 AM
Hope you don't get Cat Scratch Fever steven. By the way, your project is coming along nicely. Why is it called a "step back cupboard"?

steven c newman
01-04-2018, 9:03 AM
There will be an upper cabinet to this base cabinet, and the front of the upper "steps back" from the front of the base unit. Like setting a book case on it.

steven c newman
01-04-2018, 8:07 PM
Errands had to be ran today, by order of the Boss. She can't drive, so I guess I have to.....:mad:

Had to write this up as a series of blogs on another site....took a long time to type them all out, dig through the pictures, and tell the story....and it took three chapters!....

Maybe tomorrow, I'll just go and hide out in the shop..all day. Once I can get that face frame attached, I can start either on the drawer or build two raised panel doors...depends on how I do with the face frame install, and how tired I get. COPD seems to have a way of making me tired....:(

Stay tuned.....if you happen to see a "Blue Streak" flying by...it just means I am having a bit of "fun" in the shop.....:eek:

steven c newman
01-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Got bored...went to to shop, just to change out the cutter on the Stanley #45......#12 became a #13.....one thing lead to another....grooves on the face frame are now a tad wider..towards the outside edge. Royal PITA to do a groove wider, but got them done. Then, I did find one of the few Veritas tools in my shop....a 3/8" cutter to make 3/8" tapered plugs.....

Figured a way to hold the frame, so I could run a forstner bit in 9 places on the frame.....Cordless drills were needing charged up. I then got out a Vintage drill...a 3/8" Corded Wards Powr Kraft electric drill, with a keyed chuck. Already had a pilot bit in it, too. Drilled 9 holes and then put stuff away...back started to stiffen up, breathing was acting up...and..I was working up a sweat, can't have that.:eek::rolleyes:
Have about everything ready for tomorrow's shop time....Clamps laid out, glue bottle ready, fresh battery in the 18v drills...maybe I can get the frame installed..by Lunch?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-05-2018, 11:52 AM
And...pictures..
Stanley 45 T-20 SW set up with a #13 straight cutter.....
Ward's POWRKRAFT 3/8" drill..vintage? Yellow box is the Forstner set I have used for years. Needed the 3/8" bit....
One of the very few Veritas toys I have in the shop. A 3/8" tapered plug cutter bit.
Needed 9 of these counter-bores drilled....that was fun. Trying to get each spot under the drill bit on the drill press, and still reach the handle to drill the holes.
Set the frame in place....it even fits!:D Got the clamps all lined up and handy. Screws and glue and set out to where I can reach them. Batteries for the drill/drivers are charged up. Maybe after Lunch, the cussing can begin? :eek: Still thinking I need an extra pair of hands for this.....or just work faster:rolleyes:

steven c newman
01-05-2018, 4:53 PM
Ok, got to looking through what is left of the stash of Ash....found this..
Figured I could center that knot in the drawer's front.
Ok, supplies in hand, off to the shop.....cussing, and groaning ( me and the case) and more clamps than screws....a bunch of glue spread around...

Takes up a LOT of room. Almost all of my clamps in use.....might have another 3 or 4 sitting around.
Will let this mess sit a day, or two. Hauled that plank to the shop. measured to opening for the drawer...@ 21" wide.
Second line is because I wanted to center the knot....D-112 to do the crosscuts.
Need a better trained operator for this sort of thing, a second cut, and the blank was done..
Cleaned the cuts, and checked for square..
And, since the beltsander died....had to make do with a plane, to flatten things out..
There was a bit of usable plank left over, all but the last. Cut 21" and left the curvy end for scrap. It had more curves than a Pin-up.
I think that will do it, for a Friday. Second blank will be ripped down to make parts for one of the doors.
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
01-06-2018, 9:55 AM
Today MIGHT be one of them "Fun" days.....hauled the pine 1 x 6 to the shop. Need to cut it down for two drawer sides. Drawer opening has been fine tuned.

Need to get set up, to build a drawer.....anyone want to come over and help out?

1/2 blind DTs....tails first.....Langdon Mitre box to do the dados for the back....Grooves for the bottom panel with the Stanley 45.....yeah, one of those kind of days...

First, I need to get all them clamps off the case.....need the room to work. South Bay is a bit on the full side in the shop....need to move things...

steven c newman
01-06-2018, 4:20 PM
Well...drawer is now IN the clamps...just waiting on the glue to cure

33 pictures? This might take a few entries....

steven c newman
01-06-2018, 6:01 PM
Well, at the risk of boring people....here goes. 4-1/2 hours of cutting, chopping and cussing....and all I get is one drawer done....getting slow, in me old age..
A 10ppi D-7....needed to cut two pine sides, for the drawer. Mitre box to square an edge, and to make both sides the same length....side 2 was a 1/8" too long..
Ganged the two up and into the vise....wanted both to match in width..
Cut from the same board, and one was a tad wider? We have ways..
Miller Falls No. 14. Then did a bit of layout
Then a bit of chopping, after sawing the lines....until I had both of these done..
Used a "3rd Hand" to help lay out the other half..
Then a bit more saw work, and some chisel work, and then a dry fit...
For both ends.....Part 2 coming right up....we are about to get groovey
Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
01-06-2018, 6:06 PM
OK, part 2. Reset the mitre box
Depth stops were raised up, about 3/8" or so.
Marked two lined on each of the side pieces, 1/2" and 1" in...ran the mitre saw..
To make a dado for the drawer's back. Needed to clear the waste out....Stanley 45 was set up for grooves, so a big chisel to pop most of the waste out, then this little plane took over, once I reset the depth stop on it,,
Better view?
Stanley #39 3/8" Now, about that #45?
Needed grooves for the drawer's bottom to sit in...both sides, and..
the front. #13 cutter...about 3/8" deep. needed to do another dry fit, to size the panel for the bottom..
Once that was looking good, and square...time to make the back. 3/8" thick Poplar plank, was cut for length, and ripped for width..
We gaining on it. Part 3 is coming right up, stay tuned;)

steven c newman
01-06-2018, 6:22 PM
Ok, part three of today's follies....Before I could add the glue. I wanted to drill a few pilot holes for screws to hold the back in place....then added the countersnk
Old School....ok, spread the glue around all the mating areas...as well as half of my fingers.. added clamps, and a few screws....
Needed that diagonal clamp, to pull the box into square..
Or, at least close to it. Plywood panel wasn't quite fitting right, hence the diagonal clamp. Plywood panel now sits in all of it's grooves.

Just waiting on the glue to cure, overnight. Then I can finish fitting the drawer to the case. Stay tuned.....

Malcolm Schweizer
01-06-2018, 8:19 PM
Great build- looking good. I have been following along. I have a stash of ash (which rhymes) left from the Roubo. It's a great wood to work with.

steven c newman
01-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Thank you. Will find out more, later today, when those clamps are removed....

Debating on either single door, or a pair of skinny doors.....leaning towards the single door, for now. Need to start ripping frame parts, today. Then make a panel glue up. Either way, it will become a raised panel (s).

May have to go back and buy a few more planks, before I start on the Upper Cabinet. And, BEFORE the fellow heads to the Land of OZ to visit his Daughter....

Been wondering what finish the Boss will want for this project....hope it isn't going to be painted:eek::mad::(

steven c newman
01-07-2018, 1:58 PM
Well, clamps are put away...nothing fell apart. Dovetails are cleaned up
Will just have to do, I guess. Front now has a pair of shiny metal knobs....so I can get the drawer back out, as I final fit it..
Two strips of scrap wood, used as drawer guides, were installed.......a bit too tight, but can adjust. Just need to find a few more knobs..
I think I'll need two more for the upper cabinet, already have one for the single door for the lower cabinet. Maybe cut some plugs out of Ash, to fill the holes?

Found out one thing today....IF I have to get down on a knee, I may need help to stand back up...

steven c newman
01-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Trying to talk the Boss out of painting this thing......may have to set up a test board, to see what "normal" finish she might want....

Drawer front wasn't as quarter sawn as the rest of this build....will have to see IF that is an issue...

steven c newman
01-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Well, weather outside my window is almost as ugly as the view in my mirror..:eek:...even though today IS a Monday, not much else to do..might try the shop, after lunch. Normally, the shop is closed on Mondays. May take a chance, if I get too bored. Need to make plugs to cover the screw holes, and start ripping door parts. need to size the frame for the door, so I can figure out what size of a raised panel to make. Not sure IF I will add a center (vertical) divider.....maybe it would look too "busy"?:confused:

Stay tuned....maybe one of the views will improve:rolleyes:

steven c newman
01-08-2018, 4:40 PM
Well, the view outside is still ugly...375843

I managed to fine tune the drawer, it now slides in like it is supposed to. Got a piece of walnut milled up..
9 counter-bores means 9 plugs. Small screwdriver to pop these out, the glued in place. Chisel and plane to flush them down even with the surface.

Hauled one board to the shop. Got out a saw..
Cut a couple pieces about 21" long. Set up a jig on the bandsaw, and made a few rip cuts...
Couple piece @ 2" wide. Then reset the fence, and ripped a few rails..Jointed the stiles..
To get rid of the saw marks, and make sure they matched each other..the same for the rails..
Set up a jig, and the Stanley 45...
Needed a groove, to house the raised panel in. Rails needed tenons made, once I figure out where..
And made them haunched tenons.....then a groove was milled. Had to raise the fence on the 45.....was rubbing the jig a bit.
Just need to chop a few mortises, and start on making a raised panel. First I have to cut a few boards to length, and do a glue up.

Shop was almost too work to work in, very long.:rolleyes: so I am taking a break, until it cools down.

Stay tuned....we'll see what this evening brings...

steven c newman
01-09-2018, 5:01 PM
Work had to wait until this afternoon-ish
Hauled a plank to the shop. Already had two pieces of 4/4 x 6 Ash, that were a tad long..cut a third piece out of the new plank. Cut all these for length.

Went to check for width....about an inch too narrow....cut down a 2" wide scrap. Then jointed all the edges....that took a while. until they were straight and square

Then a few clamps to test fit....one board was a bit off....Crochet, and a c clamp...#14 to correct that edge. Couple of the planks needed face planed, to reduce a curved area.. Finally got things to where I could spread some glue, and tighten the clamps..
Will let this sit right there, awhile. Unless I get bored and decide to do a few mortises....no need to move this
No gaps, just some shadow lines, where one spot was thicker than it's neighbor. Ankle deep in shavings...I am a bit winded. Time to take a break.

Maybe later tomorrow, I can remove the clamps, and get the panel ready to be raised....stay tuned

steven c newman
01-10-2018, 12:23 AM
That was a LOT of plane work. Mainly with the Millers Falls #14....boards are a hair over 18" long....way too short for the larger Jointers to do much good on. The Stanley #4 was used for small spots, and a bit of face plane work. Tape on the handle? More as a grip, as far as I can tell, nothing is broken inside the tape. I can set for a finer cut than the Stanley from England plane....as I leave one for finer work, and one for faster work....nice to have several set up, just a hair different from each other.

The remains of the plank I hauled to the shop, today....will make one side of the Upper Cabinet.....more of a Book case. IF I want to build a door for the upper unit, I will need to go out a buy some more boards..from my source. Maybe three boards....

Hopefully, I am not boring anyone, with this long thread....

Stay tuned...

Don Orr
01-10-2018, 8:47 AM
I very much enjoy watching your builds. I like how you explain what you are doing and what tools you use. Standing by for the next installment.

steven c newman
01-10-2018, 4:56 PM
Thank you.

Today was a bit busy....panel was taken out of the clamps, and cut to width..
Then the edges were jointed..
Clamped this flat to the bench....
Planed the face smooth and flat. Then a few other planes took over.
Planed a bevel on each end....end grain first....
And when the edge grain was done, I got corners like this. Still a bit too thick, got out the #78
To make the cross grain rebates, and do a test fit..
Once the end grain was done...on both ends. I got out the Stanley 45, set it up to make a matching rebate along the edge grain..
Rather than mess with the #78's spur, I just used the 45 without the spurs. Once I got all four edges done... I set up to chop four mortises..

Stay tuned, for the next episode..

steven c newman
01-10-2018, 5:03 PM
Ok, set up to chop 4 mortises...
Legs were cramping a bit, was nice to just sit, and work...
One of the chisels used...Ash is a bit hard on them...
Test fit as I went...along with the panel..
Hmm, one more to go..
Dry fit, before the glue was spread around. Used the end vise as a third hand...
Will let this sit a while. Cleaned up some fancy hinges....
And found a couple bits to do pilot holes....
Stay tuned....

Stew Denton
01-10-2018, 9:21 PM
Hi Steven,

Like Don, I enjoy the builds, and learn some things at the same time. Definately not boring.

Thank you for posting the photos.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

steven c newman
01-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Thank you!

Got this far this morning....
Had things set up to install the hinges..
But..instead of the 12 screws I needed....I found only 5....promptly broke #4, and lost #5...somewhere on the floor.....need to go out and buy some more....
Need to add the "doorknob" as well....door is just sitting there, nothing has to hold it still....drawer can be opened with just a finger or two pulling.

Phil Mueller
01-11-2018, 2:57 PM
Steven, enjoying the build as well. Sorry, just have to ask, when you go to buy those screws, do you need to pick up some paint as well? :rolleyes:

steven c newman
01-11-2018, 6:59 PM
Trying to talk the Boss OUT of using paint. The Ash will get a stain, though....Maybe some sort of "Chestnut Brown"? Need to do a sample board, and see what she likes..
Screws are installed, both hinges are done. Doorknob is also installed.....matches the two on the drawer.

steven c newman
01-11-2018, 7:32 PM
Pictures?
Right now, I have bigger "issues" than the live edges showing..
This was in front of my front door....landed with a very LOUD bang!
About 2-1/2 years ago, we had an upstairs bedroom fire....rather than fix the water damaged ceiling, the Landlord merely painted over it...
But...HIS Insurance Company wants to collect $15K from me?

I still need to start on the upper "Bookcase" part of the cabinet
Not sure IF it will be this tall, yet. Not really worried about such things as....
A small bit of Live Edge showing up....
Need to move the Lower Cabinet out of the shop..don't want it's feet to get wet....

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
01-12-2018, 12:25 AM
Not sure IF the upper cabinet will get doors, yet. Ash may look good in a light brown or "golden Oak" stain.....will have to see what Amber Shellac will do to Quarter Sawn Ash.....

Maybe a couple shelves, with an Ash front to them....maybe even a face frame sort of thing. Need to get the sizes of the books my son wants to stash in there...

May just leave that live edge alone....not enough wood behind it, to rip the "offending hole" off....and still have enough of a "lip" to overhang the front.

Stay tuned, getting near the finish line, now.. ( Any paint has already been VETOED!)

steven c newman
01-12-2018, 1:51 PM
Ok, when the Boss first stated what she wanted for that corner of the room.....we looked at maybe a hundred different images of Chimney/ Stepback type cabinets. We found a few that looked close to what she wanted.....the design I came up with is a bit of a blend. Whats "Plans" there are for my version, reside solely in my head..the Infamous Single Brain Cell Sketch Up. I am able to "picture" the project in my mind's eye, and work things out from that.

Flipping the top over is not really an option....besides, where that live edge resides, is right where my hand would go, when I open the drawer. Wait until you see the two planks I have to use for the upper cabinet....might still go out to my friends place, and buy a couple more planks of this Ash. ( just a reminder: leaning against a wall at his shop, there is a "small" plank of Oak.....12' long, 20" wide, and 3+ inches thick...)
Anyway..last I looked, Newman was the name of the designer for this Project....IF anyone wants to build one of these type of projects, fine....add your own design elements..more fun, that way.
Hmmm , maybe a coat or three of Amber Shellac....like I used on the Chest of Drawers ( Chester Drawers?) out of Maple & Walnut.

Me? I am just having fun, working in my woodshop....

steven c newman
01-12-2018, 9:02 PM
Was trying out a couple jointers, today
As I wanted to at least get one plank done....
Then got to thinking ( dangerous..I know..) and carried the last plank( for now, anyway) to the shop. Plank WAS almost 7' long, was "fun" bouncing my way down the stairs....D-112 to crosscut a few times....bandsaw to trim the smaller stuff....got a second plank for the side of the book case cut to size...
Was about 3/8" difference in width, and about 1/8 in thickness....when I go over to my friend's place and buy a couple more planks, I'll take these two along, and run one through the planer he has, until it matches the other plank....might as well do the others while I am there, too..
Couple scraps...and this was set aside for the top of the bookcase..
Knot is tight, and doesn't go all the way through....Boss will have a plant of some sort sitting on it, anyway...
need to make a face frame, and a door. Shelves will be .....ash, maybe? Door? It MAY, or may not match the bottom door...or..it may get "glass" inserts...we'll see

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
01-13-2018, 8:01 PM
There will be a pause...I am under the weather. Still need to go out and buy a couple planks of Ash...Maybe when I get a bit better..I will start in again....

steven c newman
01-15-2018, 5:27 PM
Roads around here suck...Level 1 Snow Emergency....Place that has the lumber is out on a Township road, and not the best even when clear.

I suppose I could try the sander....and get the case ready for shellac.....shellac shouldn't bother the nose too badly, not too sure about the sanding dust and this chest cold.

Big time chest cold....can't eat, can't sleep....Freezing one minute...roasting the next....I hate winters in Ohio...

steven c newman
01-16-2018, 6:28 PM
Just a chest cold...so far. Nose is about like a faucet you buy at Odd-Lots....drip, drip, drip...

Too nasty on the roads around here, and the lumber in located on a Township road....not much better than my backyard
So, the upper bookcase will be on hold until I can get TO the lumber. Decided to try a coat of Amber Shellac, to see how the Boss likes it

Drawer was done, might at least add the coat to it...one of these days, I might get decent at these handcut thingys
Decided to install those 9 Walnut plugs, while I was down here..
Nothing to it. Screwdriver to pop them free, add a blob of glue on the narrow end, and hammer them home...well, these 6 were easy, at least...there were 3 along the bottom rail, where I had to kneel down on one old knee...and hope I could stand back up....
Sander and a #4 smooth plane, to work on the top a bit ( and warm me up..)then a coat of the shellac
"light" spots are just that, shine from an overhead lamp. Debating on running a cove bit around the edges....we'll see.

Shellaced a sample to haul back upstairs ( I was freeeezing!) to show the Boss what the colour will look like. She approved, so no need to go and buy any paint...whew.
If I can get moving around a bit better, tomorrow, I'll see about sanding and planing the sides, and the door.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
01-17-2018, 11:20 AM
IF I can get to moving around a bit better, after Lunch...I'll see what I can get done. Nose is off in another world, and we are not on speaking terms. May need a sweatshirt in the shop, today....it was getting a bit too chilly last night....

I'll see about getting this lower unit done, and out of the shop...before all that "Global Warming" outside decides to melt....and runs across the shop's floor.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-18-2018, 6:06 PM
Never use a nasal spray, again...all it did was burn out the inside of my nose....anyway, trying to get things to where I can bring this lower cabinet up out of the shop....before the big melt happens.....and have a creek across the shop floor....Top was sanded and planed, then a seal coat of shellac added...
Same with the drawer...
Walnut plugs were added.
Today, came time to trim off the plugs, and sand the door and the rest of the front. Had to tip it back, to work on it
Wanted to be able to reach those bottom three plugs....got out a chisel and something to tap it with..
Then sanded everything smooth enough for a seal coat of shellac..
same was done to one side...
Which leaves the other side yet to do. The two little objects on the top?
Edge treatment options. Whether to round over, or just a cove....remains to be seen.
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Weather is to be nice around here, the next few days.....may motor over and pick up a few planks of Ash, today....cashed in 17 pounds of cans, have a little extra cash in me pocket..depends on what the Boss decides to do....

steven c newman
01-19-2018, 6:26 PM
Before they were cut into 5' long planks, there were three 4/4 x 6" x 10' quarter sawn Ash boards...10' was a bit too long for the van...
So here is the 6 planks. $12.35 worth of Ash...
About...15bf? Not too bad?

Letting these warm up to the house...been inside a cold barn for a while. I set up a machine...
With a small cove bit...
So I could add a small detail around the top's edge..
Then sanded and smooth planed the top, before adding another coat of shellac. I also added shellac to the last side..
Waiting on this to dry, and a pair of strong backs to show up....as this can go upstairs, so I can have a bit more room IN the shop..
Somewhere, there IS a bench under this.....maybe?

Stay tuned....Bookcase build may start in tomorrow...I hope.

steven c newman
01-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Well, I suppose I should head to the shop....have a few rip cuts to do.....Need to do a couple glue-ups.
Film @2300 hrs,stay tuned

steven c newman
01-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Hauled one plank to the shop. Cut it for length to match the side pieces. Left over section will be for other sections...
Ripped the plank down the middle....bandsaw wasn't tracking quite right, had to re cut a bit.....then slipped one piece into the leg vise
And ran the jointer along both edges....once that was done, I needed to joint the edges on the next piece..
Once that wide piece was jointed, did a test fit
Until things were nice and even....then spread some glue around..
Add a few clamps. And set this aside
Got the skinny add-on jointed, then worked on this wider board. Made a little jig to hold the far end a little better. One piece for the board to rest on, the second to keep it there.
Again, edges jointed, spread some glue, add some clamps. Will let this sit for a while

Need to mark out for shelf spacings....and see about how wide to make the shelves, and a top. Need that done, so I can figure out the door.

Nice Cardio Workout, this morning.....time for lunch, yet?

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
01-20-2018, 7:29 PM
Meandered back down for a while...laid out for the three shelves....since that is what the spacing came out as..
And cut three blanks for the shelves. They will need an add-on strip, no biggie. Ploughing a sliding dovetail may get a bit rough..
Yep, there would have to be a knot, right there. Dried glue will get scraped down..
Happen to have a decent enough tool for that. Not sure IF I will do a glue up for the shelves two parts....may just slide each into place and call it good.

Maybe tomorrow, I can get something done....stay tuned

steven c newman
01-21-2018, 5:33 PM
Thread IS getting a bit long, isn't it.....almost like a work bench thread? Anyway, got a bit of work done....before the chest said it was quitting time....
Trying the S4S the two sides, edges didn't quite match each other....scraped them flat...
There was work for a few other planes, too..
Trying to get a straighter edge. Goal was to get both side pieces close to the same size
Once one was straight, and square, I could trim the other to match....had a bit to trim..
Then work on the face grain a bit..Had the shelf locations laid out...needed to cut a sliding dovetail socket...
Same as the shelves in the lower cabinet. Just not as wide a cut. Got all of the sockets cut..
On one panel, then set up and repeated for the other. Nice part about the fence
I can set up to go in either direction. Visegrip finger clamps work nicely enough.
Next episode? Well, I have to do a rebate, and set up the router a bit differently....stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-21-2018, 5:45 PM
Ok, once the sockets were all done, I can set up for pins..
Involves a different type of fence. Trying to cut with just 1/2 of the bit...
Might take a few tries, to get it set. Ok, set this mess aside, for now. Need a rebate milled, for a 1/4" plywood back..
Involves this plane, and a #17 straight cutter.
To make a couple of these things. I had a scrap of 1/4" plywood handy, to double check the depth
Got both rebates done...there will be a lip, to cover the edges of the plywood. Needed these milled, so I can mill a filler for the width of the shelves.
Made a big mess on the floor...several times
Finally swept the place, and called it a day....need to reset things, and cut some pins on the edges of the shelves. Maybe later, eh?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-22-2018, 1:53 PM
Today, being Monday...shop is normally closed for the day......decided to test out a set-up, anyway..
Wanted a stable platform to mill the pins...as the router does have a wide base
Hmm...one pass along the outside, switch the boards around to expose the other side of the pin..
Then a small file to clean things up..

Had errands to run,,,let this sit for a while....might feel "lucky" and finish milling the pins, today...maybe.
Stay tuned.. (file is a Vixen..)

steven c newman
01-22-2018, 7:39 PM
Got all the pins milled....then it was "Hammer-time!"
Still need to make the 2" wide filler strips. Main shelves were driven flush with the front..
Not too bad...for a Monday?

Maybe tomorrow, I can get a little bit more done? Stay tuned....

steven c newman
01-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Have a plank picked out, need to cut it to size, and make a glue up out of it......Bookcase does need a top shelf, after all.

Then work on making a panel for the raised panel door. Waiting to see what type ( if any) of face frame to use.

I can do a few glue ups today....after that, we'll see.
Stay tuned....

steven c newman
01-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Ok....hopefully not boring anyone...

Hauled a plank to the shop this morning. Squared one end, then marked out to 26" and made a crosscut.....there was a huge knot out on the end,,,beyond the next 26" mark....lopped that off, and laid the two blanks side by side..
I'll square the ends, after I glue this up.....had a few spots to fix
Edges were a bit gappy...we have ways...
I also marked the "show" side..
And jointed both boards. Bottom one needed the most work....Was finally able to do a glue up..
All this, BEFORE Lunch? Let this sit a while...maybe after lunch, I can haul more lumber to the shop?
Anyone want to stop by, and help out?

Stay tuned....

Pat Barry
01-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Catching up - lots of progress. Projects like this take a while. Mine took about a year (I'm pretty slow)
- note: I like the detail you added to the top of the base. That is a nice feature.

steven c newman
01-23-2018, 6:38 PM
Going to tack things onto about here....not so far to go to read up on this build. Getting a bit long-winded.

Ripped a few strips of 2" wide plywood....to act as a filler to the back of the shelves..
Then reset the jig to resaw some Ash at 1-1/2" wide......was almost done...had to stop, and work on the bandsaw. Pulley was loose, blade was dull, case was filled with dust.....got that taken care of....wound up with four pieces to build a face frame with..
Edges were too wavy, had to set up to joint the edges...
Long stiles were done, then
The two shorter rails were done....did some layout, and then cut a few tenons..
Then chop a few mortises
Finally, got to the point I could glue and clamp..
Legs were cramping, got a splinter under a fingernail...glue all over my fingers...I think I'll call it a day....IF you look into the background of the last picture...you will get an idea of how tall this thing is going to be....
Stay tuned

steven c newman
01-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Not feeling too well, today.....taking the day off from the woodshop....will try again tomorrow....

steven c newman
01-25-2018, 12:20 AM
Dry fit of the face frame to the case....was a bit off.....will need to add a strip along the outside of the stiles. Rip a 1/8" strip, and glue to the edges. Then trim for looks.

Seems to be just enough Ash left to build a raised panel door......that will be after I get the case attached to the base. And out of the shop....need the room.

steven c newman
01-25-2018, 11:32 AM
How about a PIP?
Top installed...face frame installed
Cleats to hold the bookcase in place....
Bottom edge of the top has a cove detail...
Need to build the door, next....going to be a tall case....

Don Orr
01-25-2018, 2:35 PM
I'm liking your progress and photos. Keep 'em coming. If I was closer I'd be happy to come by and help and learn.

steven c newman
01-25-2018, 8:24 PM
Motivation lasted a bit longer today....
Fought with the dull blades on the bandsaw....finally put a new one on. Still wasn't quite right. Had to plane the edges quite a bit.....that IS two rails sitting there...
The stiles were just as bad....had to plane them down a bunch, to remove the waves...
Test fitted the stiles, and clamped them up...easier to mark other items that way...
Set up the Stanley 45 to plough a groove..
Between all the jointer work, and this plough plane..
Made a big mess on the floor, again...finally got the short rails ploughed..
Reset the jig to do the stiles....one at a time, so I could keep track of which went where..
Double checked things, and figured out how big a panel to glue up....about that time, Mr. Gumption, and Mr. Motivation left the building....had enough for one day...
Need to chop a few mortises....cut a few boards to size, and do one more glue up.....18-3/4" x 27-3/4" panel...then make it a raised panel......Tomorrow...

Stay tuned...

Stew Denton
01-25-2018, 9:01 PM
Steven,

Count me as one more that is enjoying the build.

If you wouldn't mind showing a bit of how you raise the panel for the door it would be much appreciated. I am pretty thin on my understanding of how you do that.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

steven c newman
01-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Was a busy morning.....need to glue up a panel...before I can raise it...

Hauled the last two planks to the shop this morning. Crosscut to about 28" or so....got four pieces. One had a big old knot.

Needed 18-3/4" in width..3 planks was too narrow, four was too wide.....but, IF I rip one plank down to get to the width needed, I can get rid of that nasty knot.

None of the boards had a straight edge, and a couple were cupped...
Face plane to remove the cup..then run the same plane along the edges, to joint them...got a couple parts done, set them up to check for gaps..
Then mark which edge goes to what edge....finally got all four pieces planed and jointed, time for a few beads of glue..
Couple extra hands? Leg vise, and a c clamp. Spread a bead, moosh the next board around in the glue,,,and keep going until all are set. I added a pair of cauls..
To keep things flat. Even though I swept the floor a couple times, this was still on the floor when I got done...
The only plane in use this morning, was a Millers Falls #14.
Will let this sit until tomorrow, and see how it turned out. THEN I can get a start on raising the panel......stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Getting a late start for today....slept in..being a Saturday....maybe after a Brunch, I can meander down to the shop...and see what kind of trouble I can get into:rolleyes:

Need to get the clamps and cauls off
Need to square the ends, and check the width...
Then lay out to raised the panel.....beveling the end grain first. Not sure IF I will need a rebate on the inside...yet.

Maybe build the frame, as well?

steven c newman
01-27-2018, 3:14 PM
This is going to take a long time to write up.....start time was 1100 hrs.....end time was 1430hrs.....I did remembered to turn one tool on..
Either the shop is too warm..or....I am working way too hard...:rolleyes:
Got the panel out of the clamps....and set up to square the ends...
Circular saw guide. Then spend some time flattening the faces of the panel....Then a lay out line was made..
1-1/2" in front the end grain edge....goal was to plane a bevel back to that line...
Plane was used at a diagonal to the grain. Both a Stanley #4 and the Millers Falls #14 were at work.
Turn the panel end for end, and do the other end grain. Then rotate 90 degrees, and do the same to the long grain edges, until a corner like this shows up
Then rotate again, and do the last edge. Time to flip the panel on to it's front
This was still set up from the last raised panel....end grain rebate work..
I do both end grain ends first....then set up the Stanley 45 to do a rebate along the edge grain...
Hmmm....BRB stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-27-2018, 3:23 PM
Ok, the 45 was for the edge grain rebates.....first, I checked the fit of the end grain ones..
Then ran the 45 a bit..
And checked the fit..
Basically that is how I raise a panel. Paul Sellers does it with the panel standing up in a vise...mainly for the camera. I plane with the panel flat on the bench...easier to clamp in place. I needed to do a little Mortise & Tenon work..
Spread some glue around, and try to clamp the door..

Needed cauls at the corners, to keep things flat. Will reinforce the corners with some metal items...
And get ready for some hinges...
Have to fit the door to the opening....after the glue is cured..tomorrow.

That is quite enough, for one day.....cussing level would have made a Marine blush....
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
01-28-2018, 8:52 PM
Had trouble attaching the metal corner brackets, kept snapping heads off of the screws....
Had a bit of fitting to do....door was too wide....ripped the excess off. Door was also a bit too short. mad a filler strip to fix that..
Had a bit of trouble hanging hinges...as I usually do....more screws were snapped off...Ash is a tad rough on such things....even snapped the bit in my Vix bit!

Added a spring catch, to keep the upper door shut ( needs a bit of fine tuning....)
Drilled a bunch of plugs..
This is the second piece of Walnut scrap...yep, there were a LOT of plugs needed...
Finally got the last of the main plugs glued in....decided to head back up the stairs..
And call it a day.
Mom fell and broke her arm today.....she will be going to the Rehab Center tomorrow. She is only 86 years young, after all...
Kind of takes your mind of woodworking....

Stew Denton
01-29-2018, 12:10 AM
Steven,

Thank you for the pictures of the panel raising, much appreciated and informative. Sorry to hear about your mom, I will pray for her this evening.

You had a picture in one of the earlier parts of this post, but this picture makes it clearer, this is going to be a pretty large cabinet.

Stew

steven c newman
01-29-2018, 4:42 PM
Shopping has been done for this project.
1 qt Amber Shellac
Pair of steel knobs....only needed one, but they came in pairs
1/4" x 2' x 4' Luann plywood....actually looked the best of the other 1/4" junk they had....and half the price, too...
Pair of cheap brushes
Price shopping for a beltsander.....nothing yet....no rush, either...

Mom has been moved and settled in at the rehab center. She had bent over too far, to pick up her shoes...and fell on over, breaking the arm between her shoulder and the elbow. Going to take a little while to heal up...no surgery was needed...

This being a Monday ( ggggrrrrrrrr!) shop is closed. Maybe Tuesday will be better? I hope....stay tuned..

Malcolm Schweizer
01-30-2018, 1:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she recovers quickly. As for the build- it is looking good and the documentation is excellent.

Graham Haydon
01-30-2018, 3:05 PM
Sorry to hear about Mum. Great progress on the job.

steven c newman
01-30-2018, 7:01 PM
It was a clean break in the right upper arm, no surgery needed. Resting now at the Rehab Center.....will take a while to heal up...thanks for all the kind wishes

Plugs have been popped level with a chisel, and one of these planes to level them better..
Then sand the heck out of things.....I also got the knob installed..
And a coat of shellac on the upper cabinet
plywood panel..
Needs to be installed, so I can close the back off..
Maybe a couple more coats of amber shellac..
and, may get to call this project.....DONE!
Stay tuned...

Don Orr
01-31-2018, 8:45 AM
Looking good there Steven! Sorry about your mother-hope the healing goes well.

steven c newman
01-31-2018, 6:34 PM
Thanks for looking in.

Ok, this is the spot where this Project will be going..
Needs cleaned out. Because...this Project is now completed...
2 coats of Amber Shellac for a finish. Open the doors..
Lower cabinet will have the "household tools", mainly the ones sitting on the old, un-used Kennel
One of these days, I might get good at doing these things.....
Details....fancy hinges, Walnut plugs...
A view of the sides. Once this is in that corner....you won't be able to see this. Might be nice, if we move, that it may sit where everything can be seen...
Might be the last time this drawer is this clean?;)
Thanks for following along, hope you all enjoyed the show....

steven c newman
02-01-2018, 7:53 PM
Ok, have posted this over in the Projects section.

Someone didn't like the "open area" between the two units....so..
Took a little while this evening...
But there is a drawer sitting there....made a mess on the bench, again..
I picked a couple latches for the doors today...
And cleaned out the spot this cupboard will be going to...
Other than that...not much got done, today...:rolleyes:;)

steven c newman
02-02-2018, 3:00 PM
Top of the bookcase now has Walnut plugs covering the counter-bored screws. Doors now have a brass latch installed. Took a while, and four trips up the steps from the shop.....Needed help with that base unit.....but..
378115Top got a couple coats of shellac

Needed help to assemble this thing...

Stands 73-1/2" tall. Looks like it fits it's new home?
Thanks for following along....hope I didn't bore anyone.....

James Pallas
02-02-2018, 3:27 PM
Very nice Steven. I've heard of piston fit drawers but it looks like you have made a whole cabinet piston fit:).
Jim

steven c newman
02-05-2018, 4:53 PM
Ok...taking a week or two off from Projects....was a LONG build. Need a little "downtime" both from the shop, and to refresh the tools...

Glad everyone liked the Project....Daughter NOW wants one for her place.....we'll see.

Thanks for following along..not sure when or WHAT the next project will be..yet.

Pat Barry
02-05-2018, 6:54 PM
Nice job steven!

Stew Denton
02-05-2018, 8:37 PM
Steven,

Thanks for the build posting, it was fun and informative to follow! It looks great in it's new home, a perfect fit.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Don Orr
02-06-2018, 3:25 PM
Nice job-it came out great and fits where it's meant to.