PDA

View Full Version : Inverted Pin Router

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2017, 8:32 PM
I am thinking of purchasing an inverted pin router. I don't know a lot about these things and have been checking them out. Currently I hollow out, for lack of better terms, thick wood blocks roughly 6 x 6 x 6. Not all the way through them though. I am doing this with a hand held router going roughly 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch at a time until the hole is approximately 5 inches deep. All this done with a 1/2 inch router bit and switching to a 1/2 inch end mill to get the depth. I am also using a 1/4 inch template and guide bushing on the router base. Almost always one of a kind projects and odd shaped holes. Obviously I am looking for an easier and safer way to do this. I can install a riser block on the pin arm of the machine to achieve the extra height required, but figure I will still have to switch bits to achieve the depth as the machine only has 3 inches of plunge.

Any input or advice is welcome. I have done a lot of research on the machine I am looking at, but am still interested in anything more as I would by no means consider myself an expert

Frederick Skelly
12-20-2017, 8:52 PM
I wonder if another route would be to buy a $300 lathe from Harbor Freight? (They have a JET clone that is well regarded - I bought a used one last year.) I say that because what you are doing sounded somewhat like what folks do to make vessels on the lathe. I'm not skilled enough to know if you can make odd shaped hollows, or only circular ones though. Maybe someone else can comment on the feasibility.

Fred

Jim Becker
12-20-2017, 9:05 PM
Fred, I don't believe that a lathe is the right tool for what the OP is looking to do...it sounds like the recesses are odd-shaped and that's why he's using patterns to route them out.

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2017, 9:08 PM
I have a lathe but have never done the thing where you reposition the piece to make it odd shaped. I also would not consider myself expert enough to hollow something out accurately. Your reply is food for thought, Thanks

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2017, 9:12 PM
Fred, I don't believe that a lathe is the right tool for what the OP is looking to do...it sounds like the recesses are odd-shaped and that's why he's using patterns to route them out.

True Jim. Also the block of wood is not always the same size. The thing is almost always a custom one off

Jim Becker
12-20-2017, 9:12 PM
You'd need a fairly robust lathe to do off-center; odd-ballwork. That kind of thing can easily move an 800-1000 lb premium lathe across the floor, depending on the work piece characteristics! And everything remains largely based on circles.

Chris Fournier
12-20-2017, 9:51 PM
I am a pin router guy if there ever was one. My SCM is not inverted however. Do you hog the bulk of the material out on a drill press? Pin routers really can shine in the wood shop but they are pretty nerve wracking on super deep cuts. A really good set up is critical for safety and good results. CNC has made the pin router a relic for the most part. I would look for a used unit and save a bundle. Building guitars, my pin router paid for itself many times over. Get creative and it can be used for many operations. Good luck!

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2017, 9:57 PM
I am a pin router guy if there ever was one. My SCM is not inverted however. Do you hog the bulk of the material out on a drill press? Pin routers really can shine in the wood shop but they are pretty nerve wracking on super deep cuts. A really good set up is critical for safety and good results. CNC has made the pin router a relic for the most part. I would look for a used unit and save a bundle. Building guitars, my pin router paid for itself many times over. Get creative and it can be used for many operations. Good luck!

I have done both. Routed out the entire hole and drilled out part of it. I am looking at an inverted one because I feel it may be safer. Thanks

Frederick Skelly
12-20-2017, 10:16 PM

Ok. It was an idea. Hope a good solution crops up here. :)