PDA

View Full Version : Open Segmented Photo

Keith Burns
11-07-2005, 2:23 PM
I geuss everyones been busy doing other things as the photo posts have droped off the last few days so I thought I'd step up and post one. This one is cherry and measures 7-1/2" tall and 6-3/4" dia. at the top and 1-3/4" dia. at the bottom, Contains 193 pieces. As always your comments are welcome.

Mark Cothren
11-07-2005, 2:33 PM
Keith, that's as cool as the other side of the pillow... first time I recall seeing a segmented piece of this type. Very nice!

Thanks for the picture!

Loy Hawes
11-07-2005, 2:50 PM
Beautiful work Keith! I noticed too that the photo posts have slowed. Heck,Jim hasn't posted anything in almost a month!Must be a new record. Personally, I think Virginia is out of wood! :D

Andy Hoyt
11-07-2005, 3:18 PM
Very Cool! I'd love to see what the thing looked like before it got mounted.

John Hart
11-07-2005, 3:47 PM
So.....what are you going to fill all those holes in with? :D Cool work Keith!!! Every time you post something...There's inspiration!:)

Jim Ketron
11-07-2005, 4:44 PM
Nice Job Keith!
Your segmented work is very inspiring! one of these day I will try one.

Mike Ramsey
11-07-2005, 5:00 PM
Keith, that is fantastic! Would that be called a Wiffle vase? :D

Travis Stinson
11-07-2005, 7:54 PM
Sweet! It looks a lot taller than 7 1/2". Great job.:cool:

Karl Laustrup
11-07-2005, 8:07 PM
That is a really kewl vase. My little pea brain won't even let me try to figure out how you pieced all of that together and then turned it.

One thing you should know, I don't think it'll hold water. ;) :D

Karl

Jim Becker
11-07-2005, 8:25 PM
Very nice, Keith!!! Once you get comfortable with the open segment format, you may want to go crazy and start going smaller and smaller and thiner and thiner with the segments, a la Bill Smith! I think I'd need to get some mighty powerful glasses to do that. Great job on this piece!

Michael Stafford
11-07-2005, 8:45 PM
Keith, that is so sweet. I really admire the patience it takes to do that kind of work. It also looks scary to be sorta like a cheese grater. Very nice!:D

Chris Barton
11-08-2005, 7:28 AM
Incredible! That is a really awesome piece! How do you decide upon a design?

Bill Stevener
11-08-2005, 11:30 AM
A fine turning Keith. I must get back to cutting and gluing.
One thing I can say, is that one only gets half the chips on the floor, with that style.
Great work, really shows the effort.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. All of you encourage me much more than you realize.

Chris- I just set down with a piece of paper a sketch what comes to mind or I see a piece and use it for inspiration.

The open segmented is actually much easier to turn than closed segments. The glue up is easier as it doesn't have to be quite as exact and I think turning is easier, why I don't know, except maybe because there is less wood ? If your interested in trying it get William Smiths book. Tells how to make the jigs, etc.