PDA

View Full Version : Drying a branch bifurcation

Lasse Hilbrandt
12-20-2017, 2:15 AM
I'm not sure if bifurcation is the right word in English, but I'm talking about the part of a tree where the trunk is dividing into two branches.
I'm going to cut a walnut piece like that into slabs. I'm going to sticker it and let them airdry a couple of years. But I'm unsure if sealing the ends is enough to keep the bifurcation from cracking.
Should I coat the face too?

Danny Hamsley
12-20-2017, 7:29 AM
A light coat on the face of the bifurcation (commonly called a crotch) will slow the drying and help keep the crotch from checking and cracking.

Robert LaPlaca
12-21-2017, 4:19 PM
A light coat on the face of the bifurcation (commonly called a crotch) will slow the drying and help keep the crotch from checking and cracking.

Wife and me were shopping for pianos (she plays I wouldn’t know what to do with the thing), the piano dealers showroom featured many brands, one of which was Bösendorfer, a piano handmade in Austria that many consider as fine as Steinway. The Bösendorfer grand on the showroom floor was all done up in ‘pyramid’ Mahogany (aka.as crotch Mahogany), the thing was gorgeous with the most amazing flame you have every seen and about as expensive as a Mercedes S class. I have never heard the term pyramid ever used before to describe crotch figure, but I guess when is selling a six figure piano it sounds much more expensive then crotch.