PDA

View Full Version : A little rust hunt for today

steven c newman
12-19-2017, 6:48 PM
Was out and about, with a bit of cash in hand ( dangerous, I know) and decided to visit a couple stores....After bypassing a Stanley #72 ($200?!) and a couple scraper planes ( $100 for the pair) meandered along and found a $2 Nicholson Magicut....
Saw a couple Trans. planes....passed on those. On to the second store..
Old coffee can full of bits for a brace.....pair of small ones....
A #4 and a #5. $1? Ok, don't have the #5....next..
When I turned around, I found this on a shelf...Millers Falls No.214
$8....Figured I had done enough for one day, and returned home..:rolleyes:

steven c newman
12-20-2017, 1:01 PM
Can't find too much info on the rasp plane Does have a patent number on it. Has a Nicholson USA logo, with crossed files on the "toe" end. Sole has a very slight curve to it. Maybe I can "flatten" the sole?

Bits are an "off brand"....MY-T-CO.....? Seem to be straight, and sharp.

Have cleaned the saw set up, found a bunch of numbers on the anvil part. Seems to be a "Type 1" model.....may have to give it a try, later.

Joe Tilson
12-20-2017, 8:48 PM
You're fortunate, my wife won't let me go rust hunting, since LV has had free shipping of late. She says I spent all my money for new, so no rust hunting.:)
I am retired and she still works, so I can rust hunt on the way to and from the golf course. Don't tell her, it's a secret.

Pat Barry
12-21-2017, 8:02 AM
I've had a Stanley rasp plane similar to yours for years. Good luck sharpening that thing (LOL).

steven c newman
12-21-2017, 9:23 AM
Just needs a new blade installed, just snap the old one out, and clip on a new one......couple of dolllars at one of the BORGs...

Jerry Olexa
12-21-2017, 12:35 PM
You're fortunate, my wife won't let me go rust hunting, since LV has had free shipping of late. She says I spent all my money for new, so no rust hunting.:)
I am retired and she still works, so I can rust hunt on the way to and from the golf course. Don't tell her, it's a secret.

We won't tell her ,Joe.....:)

Pat Barry
12-21-2017, 1:28 PM
Just needs a new blade installed, just snap the old one out, and clip on a new one......couple of dolllars at one of the BORGs...
Yah, that was the reason for the LOL

Jim Koepke
12-22-2017, 1:28 AM

The Borgs in my area no longer seem to be carrying replacement blades. They may be available online for local pickup.

As usual 374421

jtk