View Full Version : Working Stapler???

CPeter James
11-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Is this an oxymoron? I have tried several and they are all a real pain. Are there any that really work? I just want to put up some insulation and I don't want to spend all my time clearing jams or settin the staples with a hammer.

CPeter

Rick Whitehead
11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Hand staplers are a real pain to use for insulation. I know, I've used one.A much better tool is a hammer stapler. It's THE tool for insulation!
Hope this helps.
Rick

CPeter James
11-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I've got one of those, too, a Bostitch and is not steady either. It does have some age on it though. Maybe a new one would be better.

CPeter

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2005, 12:47 PM
My old electric stapler gave out just after I started installing insulation in my new shop. I bought an electric Craftsman stapler that has an adjustable power setting. It worked well and I completed the insulation installation and the installation of the insulation barriers in the eves of the roof. Good luck!

Jim Becker
11-07-2005, 5:51 PM
As mentioned, a staple hammer is the right tool for this job as well as many others. I prefer a DuoFast or similar...the heavier staples have better holding power, whether you are inset stapling (as you should) or face stapling (as many folks do anyway). Trust me...I did this for a living for while and you do not want to have to squeeze your hand for more than about three and a half staples! Major physical pain...

Ed Breen
11-07-2005, 6:02 PM
HO HO
But be careful.
Iremember back in the forties, I was stapling insulation in an attic and drove one through my thumb. I was a teen ager and figured I'd be sent home. No such luck, the foreman wrapped a length of black electricians tape around my finger and put me back to work. Someone else had to repair the hole in the ceiling. Ah youth!!
Ed

Steve Clardy
11-07-2005, 9:39 PM
I use a PC upholstery stapler. Yea you gotta drag out the portable compressor and hose. But no sore hands.