PDA

View Full Version : Jet JWBS-18x Bandsaw, what were the problems?

Roger Bull
12-19-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm back to using my shop after a 9 year hiatus. One of the tools I bought before the break was a Jet JWBS-18x-3 bandsaw. I use it mostly for resaw and have a 1" Lenox Tri-master blade on it.

I recently saw a post here that mentioned there were serious problems and Jet replaced quite a few of these. What were the problems and what should I look for on mine?

Roger Bull
12-22-2017, 10:23 AM
I heard there were problems with stiffness and tensioning wider blades. I know that I have to completely compress the tensioning spring on mine to get enough tension on my Tri-Master blade. Is this normal? Is my saw known for issues. I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Matt Day
12-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Do a search for that saw here, you’ll find lots of information. Basically the frame isn’t as strong as the one that replaced it (triangular spine). Some say it’s fine though.

Mike Cutler
12-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Roger

IIRC correctly, the X-3 was the improved triangular frame design? If so it should be fine with the 1" TriMaster, but if you are having to completely compress the spring, that would be wrong. There should be gaps between the coils of the spring. If there isn't, you're solid to the frame, and damage can result. No spring, no band saw.Maybe try dropping down a size to 3/4" for your blade.
Are you sure that you're not over tensioning the blade unnecessarily?

Roger Bull
12-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Good point Mike. I can still deflect the blade more than I would like when the spring is fully compressed. I will try reducing the tension a bit so there are some gaps in the spring and see if it still saws straight. I guess the least tension that still cuts correctly would be right. Time for some experiments.