PDA

View Full Version : 7'' Slim Taper Triangle File - Bent?

Tate Harmann
12-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Howdy folks,

I searched around the internet and couldn't really find a straight answer on this query. I bought a Disston rip saw off of my local craigslist that needs some sharpening. I've sharpened saws before but didn't have a big enough file for this one (5 1/2 TPI). So I got a 7'' slim by Forney off of amazon. However, it looks like it's bent...actually it doesn't just look bent, it IS bent haha. In the image you can see it alongside my Stanley 6'' slim to get an idea of how wonky it is. Question is, what do I do with it? Use as is, try to straighten it out, or return it? Has anyone else ever seen this before? I believe this particular file got decent reviews but I'd have to look again as I don't remember.

Thanks for the insight!

lowell holmes
12-19-2017, 11:03 AM
I would use the file. I would buy another file from a different source. Is there a Lowe's or Home Depot nearby?

Tate Harmann
12-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Yes, I have both very close by but none carry the size I need for those big rip teeth. I can get one ordered in, though.

Patrick Chase
12-19-2017, 12:04 PM
It happens, generally during heat treatment.

A bent file like that can be usable, provided it doesn't also have twist (i.e. the triangle cross-section rotates along its length). If it's twisted then it will be difficult to hold your desired rake angles, and you should throw it back.

Jim Koepke
12-19-2017, 1:40 PM
If there is an ACE Hardware in your area you might want to check them. My local ACE often has the larger sizes.

Also when checking such stores talk to the workers or the person who places such orders. This is what informed me on which days they receive deliveries from their warehouse. If my order is place by certain times on Mondays or Wednesdays it will be there by the next afternoon.

For me, using or returning the file would be a toss up. If it could be returned it would be. Sometimes it seems vendors send a flawed item just to test the customer's response. Sometimes it is because the workers who pick the orders only know part and bin numbers with no idea of what they are packing. If someone emptied a bin and put dead mice in the box, some workers wouldn't even shrug, they would just pick it, pack it and ship it.

jtk

Tate Harmann
12-19-2017, 5:30 PM
Thanks for the response folks! I do have an Ace nearby too...love that place :) so I processed the return on Amazon and they are giving me the refund without returning the file so I get to have it for free. I can keep it around for filing things other than my saws ;)

David Eisenhauer
12-20-2017, 8:59 AM
"Now where did I leave the banana file?"

Tate Harmann
12-20-2017, 9:24 AM
Haha right on :) I've already used it for something in the shop!

Jim Koepke
12-20-2017, 2:01 PM
One of my files is like a rifler with triangular bananas on both ends. They are good for making a groove on metal. Yours may not have enough belly for that.

jtk