PDA

View Full Version : Deep engraving on glass like ceramic with a trotec speedy 300

Stuart Petrie
12-19-2017, 9:53 AM
Hello folks, I've inherited the job operating a trotec speedy 300 from the outgoing etcher and without complete training I'm really struggling to find a setting to engrave these kiln fired ceramic paw prints we do. Once kiln fired they have a consistency closer to opaque glass. I'm currently running them for 4 passes at 95 power, 5 speed and 1000hz which is alright, but some need several passes because spots end up not engraving deep enough to paint. I've tried decreasing the speed but I found I ended up burning the glaze, and different frequencies didn't have much effect. Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I just out of luck? Thanks in advance, this forum has already been lots of help.

John Lifer
12-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Nope, I ran some ceramic tile at 85 percent of my 80 watt machine and it took 10passes to make maybe a half millimeter depth. I wanted to get thru the coating, but failed

Kev Williams
12-20-2017, 3:37 PM
Wonder how it would engrave green before firing? Don't know if it would work, but there's no reason you can't fire laser etched greenware...

Stuart Petrie
12-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Wonder how it would engrave green before firing? Don't know if it would work, but there's no reason you can't fire laser etched greenware...

That was my hope, it seems like a large part of the issue is the glaze is refracting the laser because different coloured glazes etch differently, but the glaze ends up filling in the engraved area.

David Takes
12-28-2017, 10:14 PM
The laser engraving machine won't complete the job. Why not mask, run one pass, then sandblast? A sandblast cabinet is a very inexpensive investment and helps yields a superior finished product..

Mike Null
12-29-2017, 8:26 AM
+1 for Dave's solution.