PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
11-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. I wasn't oncall this last week, so it was a GREAT week.!!!!!!

Didn't spend any real time in the shop this weekend as we were working in the yard, gathering firewood and various other family related things. Church on Sunday and then it was cutting down a dead oak tree for my neighbor and I got to keep the wood to feed the new woodstove. :D

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Steve Clardy
11-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Split up and stacked some wood for the house. [Never ending job]
Mowed some of the pasture with some high price gas.

Mark Cothren
11-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Took a 2-day hunt with my son Friday-Saturday. Neither one of us killed anything, but we both saw deer. I had this one "in my sights" on Saturday, but let her walk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/deer.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/deer_bow.jpg

Also picked up this chunk of a root ball for my wife to decorate a flower bed. Check out the rock that had grown into the roots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/medusa.jpg

I got some nice Maple from Don Farr and roughed out one bowl on Saturday evening that is wrapped and drying. Will work on the rest of it this evening. Thanks Don!!!!!!!!!

Other than that it was church on Sunday and a day of rest with the family.

Dan Mages
11-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Two projects started. I ripped out the back door to find the frame for said door to be completely rotted out. So a new frame was built out of pressure treated and the new door is temporarily tacked into place. I should be able finish that one up tonight.

Second one is my tankless water heater. My neighbor was kind enough to come on over and help me with the plumbing for the water heater. The only kink in this situation is his wife was ready to give birth at any moment... and did when he was 2/3 of the way through the project. So I don't have any running water in the house. I hope the baby is doing good. He hopes to be able to finish it up tonight.

Other than that, a pretty quiet weekend!!

Dan

Tyler Howell
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Got back to working on my house after a long hiatus. Actually moved into one of my rental properties until I get this done. The disorder, dirt, odors, and keeping house were really making progress slow, especially with so much travel the last 10 months.
Any way, new HVAC is in and inspected. A+, pulled some more wiring for outlets in the master BR. Prepped the walls for painting.
Have to come back to work to get some rest.
Have a good week.;)

Kurt Aebi
11-07-2005, 10:55 AM
The weather was in the upper 50's - low 60's here (almost Never seen at this time of the year in Vermont) so I spent most of the weekend outside buttoning up for winter. Putting the porch furniture and lawn equipment away and getting the snowblower ready for the long, long cold, cold winter ahead. And of course cleaning up the shop furnace and getting it ready for a busy, busy winter of woodworking!!!!

So giving the New PSI Baracuda 2 Chuck system a complete workout will just have to wait.

john whittaker
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Ahhhh...I was waiting on this one Dennis. I made a trip to Virginia to pick up several tools I promised to buy on the SMC classifieds. No gloat pics yet but the real treasure of the weekend was meeting several creekers.

I first met Bob Wilkerson in Richmond to pic up a planer. Bob hangs out here and on the OWWM site. He has an impressive collection of OLD IRON and the knowledge & experience to fix-em-up. His shop is large and FULL of old iron. Drool Slobber Dribble. Then he took me to a storage shed where guess what....more old iron!!!:eek: Bob, on my way out of Richmond I got lost but the nice folks were more than willing to salute me and point the way. Strange custom though...pointing with the middle digit???

Anyway, on to my daughters house in Williamsburg for a nice evening. Then we both went to the Eastern Shore of VA to visit fellow creeker Carole Valentine. What a jewel....I posted pics and details of the visit on the "turners forum" earlier today. It was a memorable weekend.

Scott Coffelt
11-07-2005, 11:02 AM
A little yard work, them dang leaves fall faster than I can mow em up. Blew up the leave blower/vac.

Bought two kittens from an adoption shelter for the wife, we'll get them next weekend.

Worked on one of two cherry vanities for our master bath.

Broke out the drawings I received on a Noguchi table and made some modifications based on studying the online pictures. Made a template out of BB.

Finally finished the dust collection on my G0513 bandsaw. I had never hooked up the bottom port, so I got some metal ducting installed. Really helped in keeping things clean.

Watched some football, golf and racing. Caught Bewitched on video with the family, 3-5 popcorn bags. What a great ending to the Chiefs game, gutsy call.

David Less
11-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Worked at the regular job this past weekend. Trying to save a little dinaro ($$) for my cyclone project. I'm calling it the Godzilla Cyclone, will keep everyone posted if interested.

David

Mike Cutler
11-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Finally got back into the shop after work took my life away for about 7weeks.

Got all the door trim parts for my library door project glued up, and rough shaped. It's looking pretty good so far.

Mark Singer
11-07-2005, 11:11 AM
I was helping Sam Maloof ;)

Don Baer
11-07-2005, 11:21 AM
After spending Sat with Fellow Creekers at the Maloof Compound I came away inspired to start on a Maloof style Pedistal Table that Sam was kind enough to share as part of the workshop so I spent Sunday pouring over pictures to try to figure demension (Sam doesn't do much measuring) and made a Template for the legs. LOML asked me what I was doing and when I told her she asked what kind of wood I needed so I told her whatever kind she wanted..:D

Jim Becker
11-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I actually got some "shop time" in this weekend, although not as much as I would have liked.

Believe it or not, I finally dealt with the "missing link" in our kitchen over the past couple of weeks with final installation on Saturday. There was this "space" between the fridge and the outside wall that it's taken the longest time to decide on what to do with it, especially considering that the kitchen renovation was in 2003! Well...that space is now a convenient "open locker" where the girls can hang their coats, put their hats/gloves and boots, etc. I do plan on putting another shelf above the one already installed; hopefully next weekend if I can get around to it. There is a "before" picture (after cleaning up the dreck that had collected in the spot) and an "installed" picture, pre-caulking.

I also started on a turning project for my cabinetmaker neighbor...he asked me to turn an auctioneer's gavel set to be used as a gift. This particular auctioneer is associated with a very well known firm and I can't believe I'm doing the work. (Ed doesn't have a lathe or turn, although he is a very talented artist outside of his cabinet business) I cannot share the details of this project until it's completed and "delivered", but will do so at that point. Ed's design is very innovative and should be unlike anything "common" out there in this space...I will say that it involves wood and a bouncy substance... :) (Sorry...canna show in-progress pics on this one 'cause it's not "my" project)

Otherwise, we had dinner with friends Neil and Robyn last night to celebrate both our impending loss of DINK-hood and Robyn's new job...it was very yummy! We also started packing of our humanitarian aid/donations and clothing for the girls...

Andrew Ault
11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I went to a woodworking class on Saturday. There were some great people there. And the teacher was pretty good!

Andy London
11-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Really, really late getting the firewood into the house this year but the temps have been warm. Saturday we hit 74 which is unherd of in November so the task of the day was the wood....almost finished.

Sunday I decided to get family Christmas gifts finished before the craft craft season rush, made my mother this Cardinal from Padouk, Walnut and birch, made my sisters these birdseye burl boxes from one of the many burls lying around....That was the extent of the weekend.

http://www.picframer.ca/cardinal2.jpg

http://www.picframer.ca/burl1.jpg

Roger Myers
11-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I started the weekend a little early during my business trip to Southern PA. Following the good advice given me here on the creek I trekked from York PA over to Oxford and the good folks at Hearne Hardwoods. Chris gave me a great tour of the place and I did manage to pick out some quilted maple and a stunning piece of birdseye which Chris promptly bundled for UPS to NH. Then I met Rick Hearne who took quite of bit of time to show me additional corners of the hardwood yard.... Rick was very very gracious with his time and I enjoyed meeting him and chatting 'bout wood... The bandsaw mill there is incredible and the burls, walnut, and bubinga waiting to meet their fate were equally stunning. In fact, as large as the bandsaw mill is (check their website for pics) Rick has a bubinga log that is way too massive for it, and will have to be halved with a couple of slabs taken out before it can see the bandsaw.... one very massive log!

Friday and saturday were quiet days as I recharged my batteries (mine not my drills) before heading out to Munich (more business) Sunday night, where I am writing this from.... have to stay up on the creek happenings! Any creekers here in Munich?? Heading home the end of the week and hopefully some good shop time....

Cheers,

Roger

Tom Conger
11-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Starting doing some patch work on our deck to get it ready for winter and it's impending replacement in April. Once I took off a few of the deck planks, realized that most of the underside had rotted. Followed the planks to the ledger board and where it attaches to the house, and realized it was nothing but mulch. Followed it under the house, and realized that the actual floor joists are rotted along with the sub floor. Rut-roh. Seems as though whomever built the deck, did not install flashing, thus all the water was directed against the house.

Uhg.

I am waiting for a trusted contractor to come by and assess the house. I am okay building simple furniture, but when it comes to house foundations and rotted flooring, I know when to call a professional.

Other than that, delivered a bench that I made to friend, watched a horrible ending to the Oakland v. Kansas City game, and started on a Mahogany/Marble entry table.

Eddie Watkins
11-07-2005, 1:33 PM
Started painting on my house Saturday. I had to tear off and replace some trim that was in the line of fire for the sprinklers and had warped and cracked. Replaced them with some of the new poly composite "wood" that is supposed to be unaffected by the elements. After it was painted the stuff looks just like real wood but it was really nasty to cut. Rather than coming out as dust which my DC would handle, lots of it came off as 1/8th ribbons that caught on everything. I had to clean the table saw and DC when I got done. I replaced some of the DC flex hose that attached to the TS with PVC which I had been meaning to do anyway, so it wasn't totally wasted effort. Seems to work a little better now. Still have to paint the garage doors but made good progress

Keith Foster
11-07-2005, 1:40 PM
Built a set of steps to the back porch for my dad. He had back surgery last week and needed something with better support (ie rails). Didn't quite get finished, so it will be back to the farm next weekend to shore everything up. I'll try to snap a pic or two when I'm done.

Larry Fox
11-07-2005, 1:42 PM
Leaves, leaves, and leaves. I got some shop time but it was only to give it good cleaning and to remove anything that was not absolutely necessary in preperation for my next project (kitchen cabinets). Start milling drawer parts tonight.

Andy Hoyt
11-07-2005, 1:44 PM
Completed the last of the "get ready for winter" stuff, turned a couple of ornaments, took care of a few issues on my daughters pc.

But the high point came last night when I read Doug Shepard's tool gloat.

JayStPeter
11-07-2005, 1:48 PM
I had lots of OT in the last couple weeks, so I made it a 3-day weekend. Spent most of the day Friday in the shop working on the kids beds and playing with some hand planes. I wound up planeing some large glued up panels flat instead of using my ROS. It's definitely the way to go and I'm happy to have that technique in my arsenal now. My planed panels are much flatter than my ROS panels. It took less time (well, the second one did) and is more fun also. I've known for a while that I shouldn't be sharpening my blades flat, but been too lazy to fix that.

A component failure in my router table lift had me scrambling to get much else done on Saturday. I managed to cobble it up and finish the final decorative milling on the legs.

I sort of felt bad being in the shop with the weather so nice. But it's shop season, not outside season now ... right.

After reading many other posts I just have to say that right now I'm happy to have 7 trees in my yard with the largest being around 12'. My 2nd year in the new house with no leaves to deal with ... na na na na na na :p :D

Jay

Matt Meiser
11-07-2005, 1:54 PM
Got some time in the shop on Saturday milling all the stock for a bedside table for my daughter. Spent some time on Sunday insulating our hot water pipes and the rest of the day pretty much doing nothing. It was a good weekend.

Tom Hamilton
11-07-2005, 2:19 PM
With record setting high temp in Houston on Sat and nearly so on Sunday it was a weekend to crank up the shop AC and stay inside.

Worked on the storage lockers for the three granddaughters, got the MDF cut into sizes that would go across the TS easily. Discovered that a Jig Saw with a new blade works very well to cut large panels to manageable sizes. It was a revelation to me! :D

Since we manage the church bookstore, Sunday AM is full of our book ministry, with shop time in the afternoon.

Sunday night dinner with the granddaughters, oh, and their parents, :) sweet wife cooked a wonderful osso boco and weekend is over.

Very nice. Best regards, TJH

Lee DeRaud
11-07-2005, 2:44 PM
I was helping Sam Maloof ;)I was helping Mark help Sam.:cool:

But I also got to the Costa Mesa woodworking show on Friday...picked up a Forrest WWII blade (which my saw badly needed) and a PC PN100 pin nailer.

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2005, 3:24 PM
Sucked up leaves, more leaves and more leaves. Didn't realize that two maple tree produced that many leave. Anyway that is done. So I worked in the shop cutting out and getting ready to build a mobile table saw base for my bench top table saw. It will have a 29 1/2" fold down outfeed table. Also cut out the wood for a new downdraft table. Hopefully can get them done this week while I am off.

John Hart
11-07-2005, 3:43 PM
The leaves finally began to fall with a vengence....So that gave me something to put off till tomorrow.:p Turned a cherry vase....broke my lathe....broke my chainsaw...bought a chainsaw....cut some wood...ignored some leaves....all in all...pretty relaxing. ;)