PDA

View Full Version : First Gloat - New Luggage!

Andy Henriksen
11-07-2005, 9:07 AM
OK, this is my first attempt at posting pictures here, so hopefully it'll work out. Anyway, I figured since I finally got something cool, I owe it to myself and to you folks to post a gloat here. what is it? A brand new suitcase!! (And a giant one, at that!)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/andyhix/suitcase.jpg

OK, there was actually something in the suitcase when it was delivered too...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/andyhix/router.jpg

And while I'm at it, I thought I'd show a couple shop pics, to demonstrate why I've never posted a tool gloat before. Almost everything I have is hand-me-down entry level stuff. Well, the DP I bought new. It's a one car garage, that i get about half of as shop space. The rest is full of lawn and garden stuff.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/andyhix/shop_west.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/andyhix/shop_east.jpg

Anyway, that's it. The oak plywood will be transformed into a small bookcase over the next week or two. Maybe I'll post some pics of that when it's done.

Cheers!
-Andy

Tyler Howell
11-07-2005, 9:11 AM
Nice work space Andy, and love those new gloats. keep-em comin.:cool:

Andy Henriksen
11-07-2005, 9:11 AM
Oh and by the way, you folks were intrumental in helping me decide which router to go with - I posted over a month ago with questions (don't feel like looking for the link). So, Thanks!

Jim Becker
11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
You'll enjoy that routing system, Andy. Congratulations!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Congrats Andy! Don't apologize about your shop size. Until I built the current one I'm finishing, I had to move my tools onto the carport to woodwork. Get's a wee bit chilly during Idaho winters! Again....Congrats! Nice looking router!

John Miliunas
11-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Andy, like Ken said, don't apologize for your workspace. Many of us started with something that size or still work in an area that size. You just learn to make do!:) Anyhow, congrats on the Dewalt!!! Beautiful system! I have the single speed with plunge and fixed base, though I'd love to have the "D" handle, too. Enjoy and do be sure to post pics of finished projects!:) :cool:

scott spencer
11-07-2005, 3:35 PM
Nice gloat Andy. Not only did the pics work out, but the one of the routers is actually magazine quality. Good job!

Corey Hallagan
11-07-2005, 7:40 PM
Andy, that is a great router set, I have the 2 base set. As far as the suit case goes, unless the 3 base set first better than the 2 base set, it isn't very usefull as the routers do alot of moving around in there. I love the feel of the router though, most comfortable router I have ever used, has a great little sqwatty feel to it, hard to believe it is a 2 1/4 HP router. Enjoy! You might want to look up Pat Warners website, he has some great bases to compliment that router. I love the offset plate, I put the plunge base on it. Enjoy the new tool and be safe!
Corey

Bob Noles
11-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Andy,

Great choice of router. I have 2 of tham as a matter of fact. One in my router station and the other for free hand work. You will be glad you got all 3 bases as well.

Enjoyed the pictures of your shop also. Nothing at all wrong with a set up like that.

Keith Christopher
11-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Awesome gloat ! I am about to buy a new 3hp router so I can't wait until my 5th router is in my shop. (I know it's an illness) It's why I have 2 bandsaws. I hate changing blades. :P And as for the small shop, no worries, I started my shop a long while ago in a townhouse basement. :eek: It's not the shop it's the hands working the tools. Never forget that, some people do and feel you need the "gazillion inch blah blah blah" to get the results you need. Yet we all still find ourselves reproducing furniture built by the masters of old, using shop made hand tools. Oh the irony. Wow I'm long winded tonight.. let me sum up.

1) Grats on the new router.
2) cool cozy shop.
3) I'm long winded

Keith

Frank Pellow
11-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Andy congratulations on the new router.

And you certainly don't need to appologize for your worksspace. You seem to have organized your space very well. I have often found myself with less space and somehow managed to get stuff built.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-08-2005, 9:07 PM
Good luck with your new toy, but from the looks of your shop...................you NEVER do any actual work there!:eek: :eek:

HOW do you expect us to believe that you can work there and have it sooooooooooooooo spic and span!:D :p

Bruce

Peter Pedisich
11-08-2005, 9:12 PM
Andy,

You should grow to love that router, it's really nice for handheld work. I got the Pat Warner sub-bases and an extra fixed base for very little $$ from Big Leroy's Tool Shack for my router table.

Enjoy!

Andy Henriksen
11-09-2005, 8:51 AM
Good luck with your new toy, but from the looks of your shop...................you NEVER do any actual work there!:eek: :eek:

HOW do you expect us to believe that you can work there and have it sooooooooooooooo spic and span!:D :p

Bruce

I may have cleaned up a tad for the big photo shoot. :rolleyes:

I do have a question, though, as this is my first real router. Is in normal for the depth adjustment ring to be sorta loosey goosey once the router is locked in place in the base? When the locking lever is open, the weight of the router keeps the ring from moving (except for as you moved intentionally by the user). But once it's locked, the ring sort moves maybe as much as an inch side to side - this of course doesn't move the router, since it's locked in place, but it does seem a bit distracting. Also, if you think "what depth did I set this to?" you can't just look down and tell, because it may be out of position a bit...

None of this is a big deal, but I just want ot make sure that it's normal. Otherwise, I got a chance to use the fixed base a fair amount yesterday, and it is awesome.