PDA

View Full Version : ROS recommendation under $100

Mike Manning
12-17-2017, 6:40 PM
Please don't recommend the high dollar options. I understand they are FAR better. I've read a lot of the threads and almost all of them end up being about why we should all pay $500 for a Fesdrool or a Mirka Ceros or Beeros. I am a hobbyist and I don't have the deep pockets that most of you seem to have. If you care to donate to getting me a $500 ROS please feel free. Otherwise all I'm trying to determine is what is the highest quality ROS with good dust collection that sells for under $100. Your recommendations are appreciated. If they're about a ROS under $100.

Thanks!
Mike

PS This will be my first ROS.

Barry Richardson
12-17-2017, 8:30 PM
I hear ya Mike, I don't think you can go wrong with a Makita, Bosch or Dewalt ROS, you can get any of these in variable speed for well under $100. I've had all of them at one time or another. I have a dewalt that just won't die, the cord is about shot, and I have replaced the pad many times, and the brake, but it is still going, about 20 years now.....

Ben Rivel
12-17-2017, 9:08 PM
While Ive switched over to all Festool sanders, there was nothing wrong to get a job done with the good ole DeWalt $59 ROS from Home Depot or Lowes that I used to have.

Andrew Hughes
12-17-2017, 11:40 PM
I still gave my makita Ros and im sure it still works. But I haven't used it for years since I learned how to sharpen a card scraper.

Mike Manning
12-18-2017, 12:16 AM
Thanks everyone! I was kind of hoping to hear from some folks who actually may have purchased in the last year or so. I'm not real confident in recommendations for tools that are 20 years old. Not sure if we can really even compare to tools that are 5 years old. How many of the tools that Makita, Bosch or Dewalt are the same tools they build even 5 years ago? I appreciate you guys trying to help but I guess I'm wondering if I can still really trust these brands. I'm been reading plenty of folks talking about how Dewalt has gone downhill in the last year or two. I suppose it's all relative. These are likely still the best of the bunch even if they aren't what they were 5-20 years ago. Sigh.

Andrew,
I've got to start using my scrapers and learning how to sharpen (and burnish) them! I'd really like to have that skill. But do you use it on plywood as well?

Thanks all!
Mike

andrew whicker
12-18-2017, 12:26 AM
I've had my DeWalt for maybe 5 years, so maybe this doesn't meet your requirement. I've replaced the pad once. After woodworking seriously for over a year, I'm just now starting to understand why I want something better.

I've been looking into Bosch stuff lately. Their brand seems to be strong, in my opinion. I got a Makita multitool that seems to be made really well made. I would agree that DeWalt seems to be on the low end, but that may only be because I know more about tools than I used to. Just don't get Ryobi.

Edit: Hitachi makes one. I love their cordless driver / drill set I have. Wonder if this is a good option as well.

Mike Manning
12-18-2017, 1:00 AM
I've had my DeWalt for maybe 5 years, so maybe this doesn't meet your requirement. I've replaced the pad once. After woodworking seriously for over a year, I'm just now starting to understand why I want something better.

I've been looking into Bosch stuff lately. Their brand seems to be strong, in my opinion. I got a Makita multitool that seems to be made really well made. I would agree that DeWalt seems to be on the low end, but that may only be because I know more about tools than I used to. Just don't get Ryobi.

Edit: Hitachi makes one. I love their cordless driver / drill set I have. Wonder if this is a good option as well.

Thanks Andrew W.

I've got a couple of Makita tools and I really like them. I'm kind of leaning towards Makita but I was reading some NOT so good stuff about the dust collection issues with their ROSs in this price range so that's kind of made me rethink that. I would love to hear from anyone who has/had a Makita and if it was as bad as I've read with the dust collector falling off. Maybe I'll take a look at what Bosch has to offer.

Jerry Wright
12-18-2017, 4:05 AM
I purchased a Dewalt about 1 year ago. Great machine with little vibration and very good dust control. I have no need to use my Fein vacuum on it. It's small bag system does very well. It can be very aggressive as needed.

Jim Dwight
12-18-2017, 8:22 AM
I have two DeWalts, one a 6 inch shaped like a grinder that is older and I do not recommend it due to vibration. The newer one is a little 5 inch which is in your price bracket and works fine. I bought it in 2013. I know that because we had just purchased our house and were putting a couple coats of poly on the kitchen floor scuffing with the Milwaukee I had at the time and it came apart in the middle of the job.
I'm thinking of a 6 inch Bosch at the moment that has an agressive mode like some of the Festools. But it is more like $250. Even if I buy it, I will also use the DeWalt. I hook my shop vac to it and it gets most of the dust. I would see what Bosch has in your price range, they seem to be trying to compete with Festool (on multiple fronts) but if you don't see what you want, a DeWalt or other brand will work well.
My opinion is that 5 inch ROS are about like mid-sized router sets. There are a lot of pretty good brands. Hard to go wrong.

Mike Manning
12-18-2017, 8:24 AM
Thanks Jim. Thanks Jerry.

cody michael
12-18-2017, 9:16 AM
I have a dewalt orbital, and a craftsman professional the red one (that is about 10 years old) I prefer the craftsman, for certain things the variable speed is nice. If I was getting one I get one that has variable speed.

If I was going to buy one today I would look at the Ridgid at Homedepot, they have a lifetime service agreement, anything wears out they replace it free. I have Ridgid battery tools and have already got a few free batteries.

Joe Bradshaw
12-18-2017, 9:47 AM
+1 on the Ridgid sanders. I have 2 of the 5" ones. dust collection is so-so. The life time service agreement works, but you have to do all the paperwork and jump through some hoops. A good sander for a Harry Homeowner ike I am.
Joe

Jim Becker
12-18-2017, 10:49 AM
A lot of the mass-market sanders really haven't changed for a very long time...so folks who are using older versions are using essentially the same tools as are sold today. That's not universal, obviously, and some things like dust collection are more front and center now. Dust extraction isn't going to be stellar on any of these simply because of how they are designed. The higher end sanders have better accommodations for that, with center holes, etc., which is why they highlight the dust extraction as a key feature along with lower vibration. I suspect you'll be served similarly by any of the tools in your price range. Pick a brand you are most comfortable with.

Mike Manning
12-18-2017, 1:07 PM
A lot of the mass-market sanders really haven't changed for a very long time...so folks who are using older versions are using essentially the same tools as are sold today. That's not universal, obviously, and some things like dust collection are more front and center now. Dust extraction isn't going to be stellar on any of these simply because of how they are designed. The higher end sanders have better accommodations for that, with center holes, etc., which is why they highlight the dust extraction as a key feature along with lower vibration. I suspect you'll be served similarly by any of the tools in your price range. Pick a brand you are most comfortable with.

Thanks Jim. That's helpful. Now if I can just pick the right one! ;-)

Scott Buehler
12-18-2017, 2:37 PM
I've had the6" bosch for a few years now and it works great!

Mike Wilkins
12-18-2017, 3:52 PM
I got a Bosch ROS when my Porter-Cable sander went belly-up a couple of months ago. I looked at the Festool offerings but dropped that idea when I realized I would have to purchase a pile of sanding discs. I have several hundred discs that do not have the same hole spacing as the green machines. The Bosch is a 5" 8-hole design, just like the sick PC sander.
You can find them in the blue box stores for around $59 or $69 bucks.

Mike Manning
12-18-2017, 4:08 PM
I got a Bosch ROS when my Porter-Cable sander went belly-up a couple of months ago. I looked at the Festool offerings but dropped that idea when I realized I would have to purchase a pile of sanding discs. I have several hundred discs that do not have the same hole spacing as the green machines. The Bosch is a 5" 8-hole design, just like the sick PC sander.
You can find them in the blue box stores for around $59 or $69 bucks.

Mike,
Which model Bosch did you get and what do you see as the pros and cons? Thanks!
Mike

Ken Kortge
12-18-2017, 4:42 PM
Mike,

I buy many of my tools from https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-reconditioned-power-tools/bosch-reconditioned-power-tools,default,sc.html

All of them reconditioned tools, and all have worked like new.

They sell a Factory Reconditioned Bosch 3725DEVS 5" ROS that rates very high on Amazon.com for $99 and a Factory Reconditioned ROS20VSC for $49.99. Here is the link to the factory reconditioned Bosch Sanders:
https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-reconditioned-sanders/bosch-reconditioned-sanders,default,sc.html

I have the Bosch ROS65VC with the 5" disk and like it very much. But its over your price range, even reconditioned. I recently bought the ROS20VSC ($49.99 reconditioned) because it is smaller and lighter, but have not yet had a chance to use it. Reviews say the ROS20VSC is slower, but there are times I'll trade speed for weight. Time will tell. The Bosch ROV20VSC actually rates just as high as the 3725DEVS on Amazon.

I'd suggest going with the ROS20VSC and spend the rest of the $$ on good sanding disks. I've read good things about Klinspor disks, but others can probably give better advice on specific brands of disks than me.

BTW, the ability to hook up a shop vac is an important feature for me, and the Bosch ROS's have that capability - they actually come with an adapter to connect to 1-1/4" & 1-1/2" hoses. The ROS20VSC looks like it has an odd-shaped connector, but its really just a round connector with a rectangular filter that traps very small particles.

Ken

Mike Manning
12-18-2017, 4:56 PM
Mike,

I buy many of my tools from https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-reconditioned-power-tools/bosch-reconditioned-power-tools,default,sc.html

All of them reconditioned tools, and all have worked like new.

They sell a Factory Reconditioned Bosch 3725DEVS 5" ROS that rates very high on Amazon.com for $99 and a Factory Reconditioned ROS20VSC for $49.99. Here is the link to the factory reconditioned Bosch Sanders:
https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-reconditioned-sanders/bosch-reconditioned-sanders,default,sc.html

I have the Bosch ROS65VC with the 5" disk and like it very much. But its over your price range, even reconditioned. I recently bought the ROS20VSC ($49.99 reconditioned) because it is smaller and lighter, but have not yet had a chance to use it. Reviews say the ROS20VSC is slower, but there are times I'll trade speed for weight. Time will tell. The Bosch ROV20VSC actually rates just as high as the 3725DEVS on Amazon.

I'd suggest going with the ROS20VSC and spend the rest of the $$ on good sanding disks. I've read good things about Klinspor disks, but others can probably give better advice on specific brands of disks than me.

BTW, the ability to hook up a shop vac is an important feature for me, and the Bosch ROS's have that capability - they actually come with an adapter to connect to 1-1/4" & 1-1/2" hoses. The ROS20VSC looks like it has an odd-shaped connector, but its really just a round connector with a rectangular filter that traps very small particles.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback Ken. I'll check out CPOTools. As I read more and more reviews on Amazon and elsewhere I'm realizing that the ability to hook up to a shop vac is something I really want to have. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Bosch 3725DEVS 5" ROS but realized how large it is and I think I want the capability to get into some tighter spaces than it would allow due to it's size.

And definitely thanks on the sanding discs recommendation as that's something I need info on as well!

Mike

Ted Phillips
12-19-2017, 8:41 AM
I like my DeWalt 5" ROS. It does what it says on the box. And the price is reasonable.

I would also recommend that you take a look at using ABRANET sandpaper discs with it. Since I started using this stuff a couple of years ago, I'm sold. It is a mesh, rather than paper, so it is very durable. I typically wear out the grit before I tear up the backing. They also don't load very easily and the dust extraction is outstanding. They are also fantastic for hand sanding either freehand or with a block. Great stuff.

cody michael
12-19-2017, 9:44 AM
I am a big fan of the Frued Diablo red colored sanding pads from Home Depot. They seem to cut really well without excessive scratching. the 120 grit acts like other 80 grits I have used.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-5-in-120-Grit-Universal-Hole-Random-Orbital-Sanding-Disc-with-Hook-and-Lock-Backing-50-Pack-DCD050120H50G/202830800?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202830791-_-202830800-_-N

Andrew Hughes
12-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Sand paper doesn't cut wood it grinds. Plane irons or Chisels cut wood. Then there's the card scraper that's scraps.You guys should try it sometime. :)

Mike Wilkins
12-19-2017, 3:23 PM
The Bosch is model ROS20VS. 5" 8-hole with the attached dust canister.
The canister works well for catching the sanding dust, as it is not as cumbersome as attaching a dust collector hose. The variable speed is nice, but I normally just set in the high setting and let it go.
Works well for its intended purpose, leaving a very smooth surface. And sand paper is readily available from the big blue box store or on-line suppliers.

Greg Works
12-19-2017, 3:34 PM
I've recently used Dewalt, Bosch, and Porter-Cable ROS side-by-side. I don't like the PC - the dust collector keeps getting knocked off by the cord (this wasn't a problem with my old PC ROS) and the switch is difficult to manipulate (recessed). The Dewalt kept losing sanding discs after a few minutes of use. The Bosch had none of these problems. The Bosch felt different - it seemed to have a different sanding pattern. If I buy another it will probably be the Bosch - it was a bit more expensive, but fewer shortcomings.

Mike Manning
12-20-2017, 1:43 AM
I've recently used Dewalt, Bosch, and Porter-Cable ROS side-by-side. I don't like the PC - the dust collector keeps getting knocked off by the cord (this wasn't a problem with my old PC ROS) and the switch is difficult to manipulate (recessed). The Dewalt kept losing sanding discs after a few minutes of use. The Bosch had none of these problems. The Bosch felt different - it seemed to have a different sanding pattern. If I buy another it will probably be the Bosch - it was a bit more expensive, but fewer shortcomings.

Do you recall which Bosch you used?

Rich Engelhardt
12-20-2017, 4:08 AM
Yes - please +1 to that request.
Bosch has one for $49, $78, $127,$212.

Frederick Skelly
12-20-2017, 7:55 AM
Sand paper doesn't cut wood it grinds. Plane irons or Chisels cut wood. Then there's the card scraper that's scraps.You guys should try it sometime. :)

A total aside, because it doesn't answer your actual question, Mike. ..... I'm in the same place with Andrew. I haven't used sandpaper since I learned how to use a smoothing plane 3-4 years ago. And I frequently use a single edge razor blade for a card scraper.

Anyway, let us know which sander you decide to buy and maybe post a short review if you can. It always helps to build the archives.

Good luck,
Fred

Bryan Cramer
12-20-2017, 8:41 AM
My Milwaukee 5” sander has been very good to me. However I used both a $200 Bosch and a Festool and I couldn’t tell the difference so I went with the Bosch and have no regrets. I’m sure their smaller ones are good too.

Whatever you get, get a 10$ card scraper too and learn how to sharpen and use it then your sander won’t see as much use, but I wouldn’t want to be without at least a small 5” ROS.

Greg Works
12-20-2017, 2:14 PM

The model was ROS10. Bought it (and the others) at the blue big box store.

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2017, 8:48 PM
I bought a Bosch and a DeWalt at the same time. That Dewalt died and I bought another Dewalt. I recently died and I am now trying out a Makita. The Bosch is still running strong. I need to mention the Bosch probably got used a little less than the two Dewalts

Roger Marty
12-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Its a Random Orbit Sander. I've been using the $29 Harbor Freight one for the past 2 years. I have it duct-taped to a small shop-vac. What am I missing out on?

Rich Engelhardt
12-24-2017, 10:50 AM
I recently died and I am now trying out a MakitaSorry to hear that. I plan on cremation myself, but, non the less, that does seem a bit on the extreme side.....;).

Art Mann
12-24-2017, 11:19 AM
I purchased two random orbital sanders within the last year. One of these was Dewalt and the other Ridgid. I would recommend either one but I prefer the Ridgid because it gets the job done quicker, numbs the hand less, and is quieter. I keep 120 on one and 180 on the other. As much sanding as I do, it is worth it to have different sanders with different grits to reduce paper swaps. Prior to getting these two, I had a Ryobi ROS. It worked okay but just wore out after 5 years or so. It was nowhere near as effective as either of the units I use today.

Alan Schwabacher
12-24-2017, 12:37 PM
A few years ago when my Makita finally bit the dust I replaced it in a hurry with a Ridgid. I liked that a lot, so when I needed another I tried to buy another Ridgid, and wound up returning three sequential substandard Ridgid machines. It must have been a bad batch, because these were all unusablly underpowered, while the same model had been excellent. I bought a Milwaukee that has been fine, though I have to admit I have used planes, card scrapers and cabinet scrapers much more than sanders over that time.