PDA

View Full Version : Everything is broke

John Hart
11-07-2005, 8:17 AM
Well....Some days, the bear gets you!!! This weekend, I blew the speed control circuit out of my lathe....My own stupid fault really, but, nevertheless....It don't go round and round anymore. Now I have to wait for a new circuit board.:mad:
Also, I found out that it'll cost about $100 for a tune-up on my Makita 24" Chainsaw...so I decided to scrap it and get a new one. Ended up with a PoulanPro 20".....I think it'll do the job ok. Anyone want a Makita?

So, it looks like my upcoming week will be spent cleaning, cutting, and doing some overdue flat work. I have a chessboard to make, so I guess now's the time.

Mark Cothren
11-07-2005, 8:52 AM
Durn. I hate it when things break. I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago w/ my chainsaw. It was gonna cost more to replace a gasket than it was worth. So it got sold for $5 in a yard sale...:cool: I replaced mine w/ an Echo and am fairly satisfied with it.

Post some pics of the flatwork you do this week!

Tyler Howell
11-07-2005, 9:19 AM
Jelly Side down..........More Otoole's law:o

Mike Ramsey
11-07-2005, 4:44 PM
I wonder if the mass decline in Picture posts mentioned today in other posts has anything to do with John's lathe being broke?

Mike Ramsey
11-07-2005, 4:50 PM
John, Must be Gremlins, this weekend they broke 2 bandsaw blades
and fried 1 chainsaw blade! Oh yeah and broke 2 bowls :mad: .

Chris Barton
11-08-2005, 7:34 AM
Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your lathe. You know, sometimes bad luck seems to be the order of the day. Let's just make sure that it only happens once and that all our other days are great.

Randy Meijer
11-08-2005, 3:14 PM
...I blew the speed control circuit out of my lathe....My own stupid fault really, but, nevertheless....

Did you do something you weren't supposed to do?? John, maybe a few details would save someone else from making the same mistake??

Is this a Jet Mini VS that you trashed or another type of lathe?? Thanks.

John Hart
11-08-2005, 3:33 PM
Did you do something you weren't supposed to do?? John, maybe a few details would save someone else from making the same mistake??

Is this a Jet Mini VS that you trashed or another type of lathe?? Thanks.

Well.....this was a matter of "Lack of Preventive Maintenance". It's a Craftsman VS direct drive lathe (15" inboard diameter-48" bed). Anyway, I failed to keep the circuit board compartment clean and it got encrusted with every kind of wood imaginable - including wet stuff. I also ran it at it's peak power capabilities far too often. So when you combine the two, the cooling fan was unable to cool the integrated heat sinks and so I basically got what I deserved. I believe that this would happen to any kind of SCR drive that wasn't taken care of. I'm sure that this will be one of those "DAMHIKT" stories.:o

Keith Burns
11-08-2005, 5:03 PM
I have hesitated responding to this post, because sometimes it's difficult to offer any words of encouragement that can ease the pain of such a terrible accident. :D :eek: The best words I can offer is "TIME FOR A NEW LATHE !!!!"

John Hart
11-08-2005, 5:36 PM
I'm thinkin'..........

Andy Hoyt
11-08-2005, 5:52 PM
Think hard! And there's only oneway to do that.

Jim Becker
11-08-2005, 6:57 PM
Think hard! And there's only oneway to do that.

Well...I don't know about that. There is a company that thinks there is only oneway to do it, but there are a bunch of others would would disagree!!
-------

John, sorry to hear of your troubles. It's not nice when a tool or three breaks like that!

Loy Hawes
11-08-2005, 9:54 PM
I think John planned the destruction of his lathe! Using his super secret demolition training from all of his years spent in the Navy. John masterminded the whole thing to look like a circuitboard failure! :D :eek: :D

Jim Ketron
11-08-2005, 9:59 PM
Loy Your a Nut! Too Funny:D :D :D :D :D

Bill Stevener
11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Hay John, I bet you were thinking!!!!!!!

Pufffffff the magic lathe:eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D
Great spy photo Loy.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Keith Burns
11-08-2005, 10:16 PM
John, I know now what happened to your lathe. It was Loy on a secret mission and he was out to get you. Why else was he there to film it? It looks like you had just discovered the bomb and were running to escape the impending demise of your lathe !

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-08-2005, 11:28 PM
You guys are scaring me. Before I let my Jet go, I had to turn two table legs for a customer who had trouble with the other two and didn't want to end up hurt or with fire wood. Didn't get the extention for my new Rikon. The legs are from 4" X 4" X 30 laminated Walnut." Got them roughed out and ready to cut details. Boy that stuff really turns nice. I'm going to have to use their lathe to try and clean up the other two. Their centers were NOT centered. I almost tore my extention off when I put one of them on it. I checked it out at work with a Jet 1440 and it wobbled like crazy. To try and balance it on my lathe is out of the question. I need to get theirs done first, so I can use them as a guide for these two.

Hope this wasn't hyjacking.

Wish me luck.

Bruce

John Hart
11-09-2005, 7:30 AM
Loy.....Yer KILLING ME!!!!! :D :D :D Too Funny!

Good Luck Bruce!! I wish I had your problem!:rolleyes:

John Hart
11-09-2005, 8:23 AM
Alright...I think I'm done thinking. I've had my lathe for about 5 years....zero problems. And it allows me to turn stuff bigger than I am capable of doing. Balance is good...alignment is good....good construction....heavy duty. Plus the circuit board shipped yesterday. Nope...not gonna do it. I think I'll keep it and save my money slowly and buy a kick butt lathe in a year or so.

Randy Meijer
11-09-2005, 6:45 PM
Well.....this was a matter of "Lack of Preventive Maintenance"....

Thanks, John. Sorry for your misfortune; but I think I hear a bunch of people running out to their shops right now and a few compressors firing up. Maybe this story will save someone else from the same disaster??:)

John Hart
11-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Well...the circuit board arrived today! I was going to go to WM to look for confetti lamps but this seemed more important. I installed the board and....NOTHING! :mad: Then, I realized that I didn't check the motor brushes when I originally had the problem....Yep, you guessed it...All crudded up. Preventive maintenance again. So I cleaned them up and the lathe runs better than ever. Glad that's over!:)

So...I did get some flat work done over the past couple days. As requested...here's a pic of a little prayer clock that a client ordered 10. Got them all done....still putting a final finish on a couple of them.

Rich Stewart
11-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Too funny Loy.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Those are very nice, John.

Bruce