PDA

View Full Version : Plow Plane Blades

Trevor Wentzel
12-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Hello,
I have a Rapier 43 plow plane with three blades, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4. Currently, I am in need of a 3/8 groove.
My daughter and I are making a cutting board with breadboard ends with draw board pins for Xmas gift. Has anyone tried using the blades from the Veritas small plow with this plane with success? I believe it to be the same as a Record 43 plane.

Thanks

Jim Koepke
12-16-2017, 11:15 PM
Hello,
I have a Rapier 43 plow plane with three blades, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4. Currently, I am in need of a 3/8 groove.
My daughter and I are making a cutting board with breadboard ends with draw board pins for Xmas gift. Has anyone tried using the blades from the Veritas small plow with this plane with success? I believe it to be the same as a Record 43 plane.

Thanks

Howdy Trevor,

For a question like this it is helpful to those trying to help you if an image of the plane can be posted. Not having a Record #43 made me look for it on line.

In one image a #43 appears to be set up with blades meant for a combination plane similar to the Stanley #45.

From the available images my guess is it would work fine. Are you near a Lee Valley store in Ontario? Dropping in with the plane in hand to check would be the fastest way to find out.

jtk

Bill Houghton
12-16-2017, 11:27 PM
You might ask Lee Valley. Given what I've heard of Robin Lee's tool stash, they can probably go back and try a cutter out on an actual Rapier.

steven c newman
12-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Or...ask Eric at nhplaneparts for the 3/8" cutter from a #45 plane......maybe $10 and gets here before Christmas.....

For now...use the 3/16"...and simply move the fence cut the groove twice.

Trevor Wentzel
12-17-2017, 9:08 AM
Howdy Trevor,

For a question like this it is helpful to those trying to help you if an image of the plane can be posted. Not having a Record #43 made me look for it on line.

jtk

Thanks, Jim I appreciate your answer and for taking the time to look the plow plane up. I would have posted an accompanying photo but I got rid of my cell phone a few years ago so posting photos to forums is not super casual for me...I will keep this in mind for the future.

Trevor Wentzel
12-17-2017, 9:12 AM
You might ask Lee Valley. Given what I've heard of Robin Lee's tool stash, they can probably go back and try a cutter out on an actual Rapier.

I will send this question to them, thanks. I didn't realize they may have the ability to check.

Nicholas Lawrence
12-17-2017, 9:50 AM
Have never heard of the Rapier, but from google photos, I would think the LV blade would work. The usual trouble is the notches at the top of the blade, where it engages the adjuster, and from what I can see the Rapier does not have any notches.

Steven’s suggestion will also work.

John Gornall
12-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Veritas plough plane blades work just fine in my Record 043

Trevor Wentzel
12-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Veritas plough plane blades work just fine in my Record 043

Awesome! I think the Rapier is the exact same as the record.
Could a chisel ever be used a substitute blade in a plow plane?

Derek Cohen
12-17-2017, 11:32 AM
I have the Rapier #043. It is identical to the Record #043.

The blades are simple, straight lengths. Since the #043 does not use a blade adjuster, there is no mechanism to interfere with and dictate the length of the blade. Use a blade from either The Stanley #45, Record #044, or Veritas Small Plow.

You can purchase blades from Ray Iles in the UK (or have Ron Hock make one for you).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Trevor Wentzel
12-17-2017, 6:30 PM
I have the Rapier #043. It is identical to the Record #043.

Derek

Thanks. I just ordered the Veritas blade this afternoon.
I read your review online also, thanks. It was really useful.
Do you know the widest blade the #43 can use by chance?

Derek Cohen
12-17-2017, 6:56 PM
Hi Trevor

The widest is 1/4", however you could go wider. I have my doubts about the usefulness of this, however. This is a small and light plane, and it is not ntended for heavy work. It should be OK if the wood is not too hard.

Regards from Perth

Derek