PDA

View Full Version : Forth Plane finished: Spokeshave (Pics)

Rolf Schmid
06-25-2003, 1:43 PM
Here are the picture of the Spokeshave I just finished: It is milled from solid brass

http://mitglied.lycos.de/Techkon/Holz/hobel.htm

Dave Anderson NH
06-25-2003, 2:25 PM
I think your choice of brass was a good one. My only suggestion would be to put a larger and softer radius at both ends of the sole. This would allow you to use the spokeshave on gently curved concave surfaces without risking denting the wood. The critical area of the sole for control is only about 10mm long, about half ahead of and half behind the throat opening.

Noah Alkinburgh
06-25-2003, 4:58 PM
Rolf,

Again, I am very impressed. Thanks so much for sharing.

Curious, how did you come to sawmillcreek?

Noah

Rolf Schmid
06-25-2003, 11:46 PM
Hi Noah,
In Germany the woodworking culture is not established as in the USA or GB so I was looking elsewhere for a forum and found the Padger bound. As it was closed there were some proposals by the members where to go.. and one of these was the saw mill creek.

Glenn Clabo
06-26-2003, 7:11 AM
Hi Noah,
In Germany the woodworking culture is not established as in the USA or GB so I was looking elsewhere for a forum and found the Padger bound. As it was closed there were some proposals by the members where to go.. and one of these was the saw mill creek.

Rolf,
All I can say is it sure is a pleasure to have you here. Your work is very interesting to an old machinist (who hasn't worked as one for 20 years) who also loves working with wood.

Keep them coming...

Noah Alkinburgh
06-26-2003, 8:09 AM
Hi Noah,

Rolf,

Well I am certainly glad you have decided to share with us. Thanks again.

Noah