PDA

View Full Version : LV Combo Plane, 10,000 mile check in?

Christopher Charles
12-14-2017, 5:23 PM
Hello all,

There's been much talk of the new LV Combo plane recently, though much of it right after release. In the spirit of a car review after some of new car smell has worn off, I'm curious about folks' impression after some real world experience.

FWIW, I anticipate using for plowing grooves (would replace a Record 043), dadoes, and T&G in that order. I don't do much with fancy molding profiles. In other words, the primary new capacity would be dadoes.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is rehashing an old topic.

Best,
Chris

Chet R Parks
12-14-2017, 6:47 PM
Chris,
I haven't used it a real lot but have plowed out quite a few grooves, even plowed grooves in 5 ply, 1/4 inch thick plywood for dividers with no problem. I purchased it when it first came out to replace my old Stanley No. 50. I don't have any negative comments, yes there is a learning curve that was gone over and over about a month ago but I wouldn't hesitate a second to do it again. It's a beautiful plane, handles vary well and does exactly what they say it will. Can't ask for anything more than that. Just a suggestion, if you are going to plow grooves for things like plywood drawer bottoms, as an example, I suggest you get a couple of metric blades, as some plywood is now being manufactured in MM which you probably know. Good luck with your choice.
Chet

Jim Koepke
12-14-2017, 9:33 PM
I suggest you get a couple of metric blades, as some plywood is now being manufactured in MM which you probably know. Good luck with your choice.

When it is listed as 15/32" it is likely metric.

Sometimes you can find metric blades for the Record version of the #45.

jtk

Kurt Cady
12-15-2017, 1:50 PM
Really hoping to hear some real world experiences. Wondering if I can get the combo and skip the plow and skew rabbet planes.

Chet R Parks
12-15-2017, 4:02 PM
Kurt,
Just my 2 cents. Of course there are always other ways to do things, but the LV skewed rabbet is pretty hard to beat when using it for it's intended purpose.
Chet

Hasin Haroon
12-15-2017, 5:07 PM
Really hoping to hear some real world experiences. Wondering if I can get the combo and skip the plow and skew rabbet planes.

Hi Kurt,

I have all three of the planes and I have to agree with Chet, you can't beat the Skew Rabbet for rabbeting. You could skip the small plow if you are getting the large plow though.