PDA

View Full Version : Cutting padlocks

Victor Robinson
12-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Sort of a silly question, but I thought I'd check here before I do something stupid.

I need to cut some 3/8" Masterlocks. My folks lost the keys to the locks that close access doors to crawl spaces under their house.

I'm assuming I can just take an angle grinder and cut-off wheel to the locks, but wondering if there are any important tips and tricks to this. I've used grinders a lot but less for metal cutting...

Art Mann
12-14-2017, 12:46 PM
A bolt cutter will work faster and easier than an angle grinder but doesn't have many other uses if you have to buy it.

Keith Outten
12-14-2017, 1:04 PM
For 3/8" locks you will probably need a set of bolt cutters with at least 36" arms. A grinding wheel will fit any size lock :)
I own three sets of bolt cutters 36", 24" and 12" sizes. I rarely cut locks but I do cut a lot of flat bar and round rods when I fabricate sign hangers. Its a lot easier to handle a 20 foot length of material when its cut down to a smaller size.

Victor Robinson
12-14-2017, 1:29 PM
I'd have to purchase the bolt cutters...whereas I have the grinder and wheels. :)

fRED mCnEILL
12-14-2017, 3:51 PM
IMO, the angle cutter is much better than bolt cutters.Many locks are hardened and you need a monster bolt cutter.The cutting wheel on an angle grinder is better AND easier.The only thing to watch out for are sparks from the cutting wheel which would preclude its being used in some circumstances..

Shawn Pixley
12-14-2017, 4:35 PM
A bolt cutter can work, but I’d recommend a grinder. I broke my 24” bolt cutters a while back trying to cut some hardened steel.

Victor Robinson
12-14-2017, 5:18 PM
IMO, the angle cutter is much better than bolt cutters.Many locks are hardened and you need a monster bolt cutter.The cutting wheel on an angle grinder is better AND easier.The only thing to watch out for are sparks from the cutting wheel which would preclude its being used in some circumstances..

Excellent, thanks Fred. Now what would you say those “circumstances” are...?

Andrew Hughes
12-14-2017, 5:23 PM
I've drilled out master locks with a1/2 bit and a corded drill. Drill right where the key goes.

Bill Dufour
12-14-2017, 5:42 PM
I've drilled out master locks with a1/2 bit and a corded drill. Drill right where the key goes.

A 3/8 drill should do it. You do not need to drill the entire cylinder out just disengage the lock at the back end. If you were able to be perfectly centered at the back end a 1/4 might be big enough.
Bill

M Toupin
12-14-2017, 5:50 PM
If it's just a run of the mill master padlock wrench it, they aren't hardened and break easily. Here's video, a couple 12" adjustable wrenches work too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJP0CcuJyE

The second option is pick it. No, really, padlocks are easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHclcJZex4

Both options are free

Mike

fRED mCnEILL
12-14-2017, 7:07 PM

Anywhere that a spark can cause a fire. I use mine in my shop but always set up a piece of plywood so I can direct the spark stream directly onto the concrete floor. If you are doing it in the house I would keep a spay bottle of water handy.

Peter Christensen
12-14-2017, 7:18 PM
If the 4 diget number on the bottom of the lock is still readable a locksmith can get or make new ones to fit. Easier and likely cheaper than cutting and buying new locks.

Geoff Crimmins
12-14-2017, 7:36 PM
An angle grinder will cut a bicycle U-lock in less than a minute, so I would think a Masterlock would go fairly quickly.

Victor Robinson
12-14-2017, 8:11 PM

Anywhere that a spark can cause a fire. I use mine in my shop but always set up a piece of plywood so I can direct the spark stream directly onto the concrete floor. If you are doing it in the house I would keep a spay bottle of water handy.

In this case the locks are on the outside of the house (painted siding). I'll clear away any dried brush nearby, and dead leaves and such, but they do kind of live in the woods. Would this change your approach?

Victor Robinson
12-14-2017, 8:12 PM
If the 4 diget number on the bottom of the lock is still readable a locksmith can get or make new ones to fit. Easier and likely cheaper than cutting and buying new locks.

And like a ray of sunshine through the clouds the voice of reason...
I really should look into that!

Bill Dufour
12-14-2017, 9:41 PM
The second option is pick it. No, really, padlocks are easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHclcJZex4

Or shim the lock to open it.

fRED mCnEILL
12-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Nope. I would remove any combustable material within a few feet on the ground and then orient the angle grinder so the sparks are directed downward. If you really want to play it safe(I notice you are near where they had some catastophic forest fires) you can hose down the areas around the lock first.

John Stankus
12-14-2017, 10:49 PM
What about cutting the hasp rather than the lock?

Jim Dwight
12-15-2017, 8:38 AM
I have done it twice in the last few weeks with my angle grinder. It went quick and was easy. I did not worry much about sparks other than not getting them in the face. They probably would not ignite anything and if they did you could stomp it out.

Ole Anderson
12-15-2017, 9:31 AM
Angle grinder with a 1/16" cutoff blade. Cuts like butter. It won't know if the lock is hardened or not.

lowell holmes
12-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Call a locksmith?

Osvaldo Cristo
12-15-2017, 11:33 AM
It is my favorite way to open a such padlocks: https://youtu.be/1jJP0CcuJyE

Easy and fast.

Good luck.

Mike Heidrick
12-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Festool makes this angle grinder ....................

Victor Robinson
12-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Festool makes this angle grinder ....................

Yes, now we are talking! :cool:

Mikail Khan
12-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Angle grinder with a 1/16" cutoff blade. Cuts like butter. It won't know if the lock is hardened or not.

15 to 20 seconds is all it takes.

MK

Victor Robinson
12-15-2017, 4:09 PM
Ok that didn’t take but a few minutes with my M18 grinder. Thanks for all the responses everyone...certainly learned there was more than one way to skin this cat, but by far the easiest for me was the grinder.

Bruce Wrenn
12-18-2017, 9:26 PM
I used to work for a mini storage company. One renter left a pick proof German lock on a unit. Two locksmiths couldn't open it, but I did in less than 30 seconds, and didn't use a grinder. I took a pick axe and forced the pointed side into loop of look as far I could get it, then took a 2# hammer and struck body of lock, driving it down taper of pick axe. No more lock!

Ted Phillips
12-19-2017, 8:36 AM
I recently had to pop a 3/8" master lock off of a Boy Scout equipment shed. I didn't think my 18" bolt cutters were up to the task, but they were all I had. One snip, and the lock was toast. It took me all of 10 seconds. I guess they aren't making Master Locks like they did in the old days...

Al Launier
12-19-2017, 9:10 AM
You might consider lock picks - easy to use, especially on padlocks.