PDA

View Full Version : Another use....

John Lifer
12-13-2017, 6:22 PM
Trying out a growler (Howler I think is how Johnson Plastics markets it) today. Found my normal piece of wood and steel wouldn't work as a weight for my rotary.
And darn it, even after removing the lid with wire (no choice with my 4 wheel rotary) I couldn't easily remove the wire and put lid back on with liquid inside.

And I don't have any marbles around.

So I did next best thing, put a handful of my .300 Blackout lead bullets inside. 373676

Works, and growler looks pretty good.

Chris DeGerolamo
12-14-2017, 8:09 AM
Nice...I typically fill 'em with water for weight.

Nick Hale
12-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Wait, if you have a roller style rotary. You have to fill the tumbler for weight so it doesn't slip?373836
I didn't know which rotary to purchase with my laser so I purchased the chuck Style and 3D printed cones to center the cup. I've always thought other style rotary would be a lot easier to use

John Lifer
12-15-2017, 8:47 AM
I've a 4 wheel, not hot dog. And YES, especially light items. Glass, no. this growler weighs about 8 ounces. Without the lid and rings, about 4. WAY light. And water would be dangerous as lid wouldn't go back on safely. I added about a half pound of weight. It will turn, but I've had stuff slip, safety is to add weight.

Keith Downing
12-21-2017, 1:09 AM
Yep, it generally helps to add a little weight if the items are light or especially unbalanced. I guess water is a logical choice if the container seals.

The engraving looks good btw John!

John Lifer
12-21-2017, 7:24 AM
From a free site, and very little alteration, yes it turned out good. They Laser easy, cleaned up with water. No scrub at all.

Scott Challoner
12-21-2017, 1:13 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention, but I think I'd refrain from putting lead in a vessel that will be holding beer.