PDA

View Full Version : My first woodworking project!

Dan Larson
11-06-2005, 9:14 PM
Well folks, here it is-- my first woodworking project. I resisted the temptation to go with an original design for my first project. I figured that would be too complicated. Some of you may recognize the design from Lois Ventura's book. There were a few design refinements that I made along the way, though. I decided to incorporate compound curves on all of the outside surfaces since I liked how they felt in my hands. I also added some runners to the drawers so that they would have a more even reveal. The runners sit tightly in shallow dados and are only glued at the front to allow for seasonal expansion & contraction. The wood is cherry, and the finish is 3 coats of Tried & True.

All in all, it was a fun project and I learned a lot. Looking forward to the next project!

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-06-2005, 9:17 PM
Good lookin' box, Dan.

Bruce

Vaughn McMillan
11-06-2005, 9:28 PM
Gorgeous box Dan, and the runners are a great idea. The cherry is beautiful, too.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
11-06-2005, 9:39 PM
Way to go, Dan! Very nicely done and it's your first WW project???:eek: :) Well, sir, you have a lo-o-o-o-o-ong WW future ahead of you!:) Those are fun to do, accept for all the endless sanding! Whew....'Bout enough to wear a guy out! Like Vaughn said, nice idea on the runners, too! Good job.:) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-06-2005, 9:43 PM
Dan....excellent box and first project! What's next?

Corey Hallagan
11-06-2005, 9:47 PM
Nice work Dan and a great looking first project, the first of many I am sure!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Beautiful box and excellent project. The cherry is beautiful.

Dan Larson
11-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Those are fun to do, accept for all the endless sanding! Whew....'Bout enough to wear a guy out!Thank you all, for the kind words.

Gads, the hand sanding was endless. Getting the rasp scratches out of the end grain areas was a real patience test.

What's next? Right now I'm forcing myself to work on some shop fixtures and jigs. A little boring, but it will make my time in the shop more efficient and enjoyable.

Mark Singer
11-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Beautiul!!! Love the design too!

Andy Hoyt
11-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Thank you all, for the kind words.

Gads, the hand sanding was endless. Getting the rasp scratches out of the end grain areas was a real patience test.

I see a hidden gloat in there folks!

Dan Forman
11-07-2005, 3:57 AM
The box came out really nice. I like the runners too. Another of the things on my to do list.

Dan

Karl Laustrup
11-07-2005, 6:38 AM
What a beautiful job you did on that Dan. :)

Is it a Christmas present? If so I think the recipient will be very happy.

Karl

John Hart
11-07-2005, 8:07 AM
Beautiful lines Dan. That is a great box!! Don't give it away!!!! Although Karl is right that it would make a great gift.....you need to show that off in 20 years.;)

Gregg Mason
11-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Very nice. I like the way the grain is shown off.

Dan Larson
11-07-2005, 1:10 PM
I see a hidden gloat in there folks!
It wasn't meant to be a gloat, but yes most of the shaping was done with some new Nicholson and Auriou cabinet maker's rasps. Fancy power tools are great, but some things are best left to sharp lumps of metal and lots of elbow grease. I do wonder if using spokeshaves would have been a more efficient way to do some of the shaping?

Dan Larson
11-07-2005, 1:18 PM
Beautiful lines Dan. That is a great box!! Don't give it away!!!! Although Karl is right that it would make a great gift.....you need to show that off in 20 years.;)
It will be a gift to my lovely wife, who is a remarkably good sport about putting up with my woodworking obsession.

Thanks again to all for the compliments.:D