PDA

View Full Version : split marking EZcad

Andre Els
12-12-2017, 4:38 PM
I am about to order a Ray Fine 20w Fiber machine and they sent me a demo of EZcad to play with. My issue is, most of my stuff will be wider than the marking area of these machines, so I am looking at creating an X-axis moving table and potentially "split marking", although instructions are not quite clear how it works or if it's even possible. Anyone done something similar ?

Scott Shepherd
12-12-2017, 5:42 PM
I have manually done it, but the more advanced control boards have the ability to handle it, along with conveyor belts, etc. You'd have to look into something along those lines, I believe, to even have a chance of it working. I've done a lot of large pieces on our little fiber. If you are creative, you can accomplish some pretty large projects.

Andre Els
12-12-2017, 9:54 PM
Thanks Scott,

yes, I thought so. I was thinking of building my own little plate that moves in the X-axis with a stepper and drive it with an Arduino or something. Mark, move 100mm, move the graphic 100mm in EZcad, Mark and so on ...

I think it can be achieved.

John Lifer
12-13-2017, 10:36 AM
One thing I bought from them that I've used immensely is the x-y table. It helps a LOT to position large pieces under the laser. Yes, you can move the image inside the software, but it is much easier to crank a knob each way. and they do have a conveyor system for like pens, talk to them and get specifics, I'd rather buy something that works directly with the laser than an add-on that is separate and can't communicate with laser. (and I'd suggest as long as you have warranty for it, not to be messing inside the cabinet. ) Just say'n...... Don't know who you are communicating with, but Blanca can take several back and forths to get you message across.

And you CAN make your workpage as large as you want say 300mmx 300mm knowing you have 150 x 150 max to work with. And Split your image into sections, and mark "selected" then move your part and select a new section. Be aware while you are designing your image, if you import multiples into ezcad as vector, I have not found a way to break apart inside ezcad. I have to import several times (different graphics or text, makes no difference)

Andre Els
12-14-2017, 8:51 PM
the work piece I have it about 695mm wide .... I will come up with a plan somehow. it'll take a few tries i'm sure. thanks.

Scott Shepherd
12-14-2017, 9:16 PM
Shouldn’t be too bad. I’ve done 4ft long panels :D 700mm would be easy ;)

Scott Shepherd
12-14-2017, 9:21 PM
Sorry for the images flipping.

Andre Els
12-14-2017, 11:01 PM
Wow, that looks nice Scott ...

What was your method doing that one ?

John Lifer
12-15-2017, 8:43 AM
If it were me, and I were going to do multiples that had to match, I'd be making me a carrier from plywood (or MDF that I have an abundance of scrap), it would be easy. Base of mine had threaded holes all over it. Make up some threaded pins that would fit into bottom of the carrier. Import section, place carrier with panel, engrave. Import second, Move carrier and panel, engrave, repeat as many times as necessary. 700/150 is 5 (maybe 6 depending on how close your marking are to edges
Insure your image is place at center each time. If panel is stiff enough and has holes, no carrier would be needed. Just make fitting in the right hole. Easy! Would love to do a couple of thousand!

Kev Williams
12-15-2017, 3:32 PM
Here's one of my split-marking jobs, I've done about 8 of these now--
These are fun since they're not at all flat...

Was still pretty easy-- what would be difficult would be to join up something like this on a 12" diameter whatever :D

Scott Shepherd
12-15-2017, 7:54 PM
Nice looking job on the dutch oven Kev.

Anthony Haslam
12-18-2017, 2:52 PM
<p>
I have had the same problem (needing to laser a larger area than my 110mm x110mm lens). I used my Rotary Attachment and added a linear slider so I can engrave longer items. It works well. I can upload a video of it working if anyone is interested? Thanks</p>

Jeff Watkins
12-18-2017, 3:17 PM
<p>
@Anthony, That is great! I would love to see it in action. How do you set it up in software? In looking for Galvo Fiber stuff I saw a Cartesian X/Y printer the size of a pool table (or larger) with a Galvo head. It did little squares at a time then moved on to the next grid. That was neat looking but your setup it what would work for me. My Rayfine is due to ship this week. What fiber do you use? Thanks for sharing, Jeff</p>

Andre Els
12-18-2017, 3:30 PM
That is nice. Yes, that is what I want to do as well, but what I am unsure about is, how to configure that split marking inside ezcad ?

Anthony Haslam
12-18-2017, 3:42 PM
I will upload a video in a few days.

I have a 20W JPT MOPA Colour fiber laser machine, and have 3 lenses 110x110, 200x200 and 300x300.

Andre Els
12-18-2017, 3:53 PM
I will upload a video in a few days.

I have a 20W JPT MOPA Colour fiber laser machine, and have 3 lenses 110x110, 200x200 and 300x300.

thanks, I am waiting for my 20w JPT MOPA to come.

Anthony Haslam
12-20-2017, 8:46 AM
Video below, there is no sound.

https://youtu.be/6_nJs48fPhg

There is a very small gap between some of the sections (which I think with a few tweaks could be sorted).

Link is here if the video above does not play https://youtu.be/6_nJs48fPhg

Anthony Haslam
12-20-2017, 9:13 AM
I use my linear slider 2 ways:
1. If I have time I use the RotaryMark tool in EZCad, and set the Split Size to 0.05 - This lasers one line then rotates 0.05mm. It takes time but there are no join marks.
2. If I am in a rush I use the RotateTextMark tool. I have to split the image manually (20mm splits) - This is a lot quicker to laser... but if you get the lens the wrong height or the metal you are etching is slightly tilted, you get lines in your design.

I have not figured out how to use RotaryMark Tool and split the design to 20mm (I think its because the diameter is set to 0.64mm and thinks it will be etching into thin air)

John Lifer
12-20-2017, 9:14 AM
Slick idea! Would you offer up the specifics of the linear positioner? I hadn't thought about using screw and rotary to pull the piece. Looks pretty darn good!

Andre Els
12-20-2017, 10:01 AM
I use my linear slider 2 ways:
1. If I have time I use the RotaryMark tool in EZCad, and set the Split Size to 0.05 - This lasers one line then rotates 0.05mm. It takes time but there are no join marks.
2. If I am in a rush I use the RotateTextMark tool. I have to split the image manually (20mm splits) - This is a lot quicker to laser... but if you get the lens the wrong height or the metal you are etching is slightly tilted, you get lines in your design.

I have not figured out how to use RotaryMark Tool and split the design to 20mm (I think its because the diameter is set to 0.64mm and thinks it will be etching into thin air)

That is cool and exactly what I want to do. What about the "Splitmark2" function, ever tried that one ?

Thanks for the video, helps a lot !!!

Anthony Haslam
12-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Never used that option, I did not know it was for the rotary device. I will do a video now.
Thanks

Anthony Haslam
12-20-2017, 10:50 AM
The Slider was bought from Ebay. - CNC Linear Axis Slide 200-500mm
I bought the 500mm length, removed the small cnc motor from one end and extended the rod (8mm) to the rotary attachment.

Anthony Haslam
12-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Updated video using EZCad SplitMark2 Tool. (Thanks Andre Els for suggesting this)

https://youtu.be/t9o4j6uXhiM

I still need to tweak the diameter and/or height of the laser to remove the join lines, but the slider works very well.

Video is here https://youtu.be/t9o4j6uXhiM (if the one above does not show)

Andre Els
12-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Updated video using EZCad SplitMark2 Tool. (Thanks Andre Els for suggesting this)

https://youtu.be/t9o4j6uXhiM

I still need to tweak the diameter and/or height of the laser to remove the join lines, but the slider works very well.

Video is here https://youtu.be/t9o4j6uXhiM (if the one above does not show)

Very very cool. I can't wait to get my laser now to play around. It shipped this week, so hopefully have it next week or so. Thanks for the videos, much appreciated !