PDA

View Full Version : Special paint for fiber laser ?

Andre Els
12-12-2017, 4:32 PM
Hi All,

I was looking at this video and noticed they mentioned "laser color paint" in order to make that panel. Does anyone know if you get such a special paint for fiber lasers, so you can remove the dark paint layers, but leave the white layer untouched ? Is it something to do with the pulse or frequency of the laser ? Thanks

https://youtu.be/vf7tQNYqliw?t=53s

John Lifer
12-13-2017, 10:51 AM
I would imagine, based on my limited experience, it is combination of the paint, (probably not that special just will laser off well) I have a dickens of a time lasering thru heavy spray paint, and the setup of laser, power/frequency/speed, everything. I'd be you could duplicate with some work.

Kev Williams
12-13-2017, 5:50 PM
Since they're spraying it on plex, it's probably just epoxy...

Andre Els
12-14-2017, 6:22 PM
I would imagine, based on my limited experience, it is combination of the paint, (probably not that special just will laser off well) I have a dickens of a time lasering thru heavy spray paint, and the setup of laser, power/frequency/speed, everything. I'd be you could duplicate with some work.
Hi John,

so it is not that easy to engrave through paint in general or just thick spray paint ?
on another note, I just ordered a Ray Fine 20W machine. You remember what did you put on your FDA form ? Just the Accession number ?
Thanks