PDA

View Full Version : Sapele Bowl

Bruce Jones
12-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Hello again every one here's What I've been up to in December, This is a 10 1/4 " x 4" hand carved Rim & tri. foot Sapele Bowl w/ Danish Oil finish.

Greg Parrish
12-11-2017, 5:18 AM
That turned out great. What did you use to carve the openings and feet? I'm assuming you lathe turned the bowl first and then carved?

George Bokros
12-11-2017, 6:47 AM
Very nice. Design is beautiful, execution is superb.

John K Jordan
12-11-2017, 8:05 AM
Hello again every one here's What I've been up to in December, This is a 10 1/4 " x 4" hand carved Rim & tri. foot Sapel Bowl w/ Danish Oil finish.

Very nice and unique! I like the way you made the rim into an attached ring or hoop. (I may have to steal idea for a variation some day.)

Excellent finish too. I've been using danish oil a lot more lately and like the result. I use a heavy initial soak then a bunch of thin coats over a few weeks. I'd be interested to hear your approach.

BTW, do you mean "Sapele" wood? (I can't find Sapel in my usual references.) I've used Sapele for a number of platters and shallow pieces but I never got my hands on a piece that thick.

JKJ

Bruce Jones
12-11-2017, 8:18 AM
That turned out great. What did you use to carve the openings and feet? I'm assuming you lathe turned the bowl first and then carved?Thank you Greg; Yes the only power tool was the lathe and a small drill so I could start sawing w/ the home made coping saws I use w/ tape for a handle here's a shot of the tool set I have, the tools in front were used on this piece.

Bruce Jones
12-11-2017, 9:51 AM
Thank you very much George for your kind words; Thank you John I would be honored if you used this design; This is two coats of Danish oil so far, I sand while oil is wet w/ 800 grit wipe clean and repeat. After taking it all the way to 800 to begin with of course. Sorry about the mis spell. it was very late when I posted.

John K Jordan
12-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Thank you very much George for your kind words; Thank you John I would be honored if you used this design; This is two coats of Danish oil so far, I sand while oil is wet w/ 800 grit wipe clean and repeat. After taking it all the way to 800 to begin with of course. Sorry about the mis spell. it was very late when I posted.

Thanks! I do something similar, sand to 800, oil, wait, wipe/dry, oil/wipe/dry again, then wet sand with 600 then 800 (depending on the wood and how it's taking the oil) then repeat. I might end up with 8-10 coats, I don't count.

The finish on yours would be something nice to see with the eyes (and hands).

JKJ

Bruce Jones
12-11-2017, 4:47 PM
John I'll let it dry now a few days then sand w/800 again then add more oil and rub it in w/ a used piece of 800 then wipe clean add another light coat and let dry a few more days, maybe do this 2-3 more times.