PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW735 Planer Elevation extremely difficult to adjust...

Larry Canterbury
12-10-2017, 3:27 PM
Good Day Everyone:
My Dewalt DW735X planer arrived yesterday and the first thing I noticed was the elevation wheel on right side of unit is very hard to turn. Extremely hard to turn UP or down. The height limiter on the left side of unit isn’t an issue because I’m not near the preset depth. When I first tried to adjust the elevation wheel it was so hard to turn I would have sworn there was a lock on it somewhere. Eventually I was able to move it a bit at a time and it has loosened up a bit but still is a difficult two hand operation. I was able to plane a 2x5 pine board and it turned out great. Very pleased with the cut but the elevation wheel has got to get easier….
Anyone have this experience? Any ideas as to what could be wrong?
TIA Larry

Mark Bolton
12-10-2017, 4:32 PM
Hmmm. Brand new? We had one of these for field work for a long time and ran the guts out of it. Was a great little planer. As I remember the raise and lower was not silky smooth and required some effort compared to a stationary machine but dont recall it being "hard" to move. Does the head move when you rotate the wheel?

Jerry Miner
12-10-2017, 4:38 PM
1. Check the chain tension inside
2. Try lubricating the corner posts

David Utterback
12-10-2017, 5:05 PM
Since your machine is new, I would seek a replacement. Unless you know specifically what is wrong and it is an easy fix, you should have complete assurance of a fully functioning machine with a full warranty.

Good luck,
David

Mark Bolton
12-10-2017, 5:13 PM
Since your machine is new, I would seek a replacement. Unless you know specifically what is wrong and it is an easy fix, you should have complete assurance of a fully functioning machine with a full warranty.

Good luck,
David

Straight to return/replace? With no diagnostics?

Ian Scofield
12-10-2017, 5:40 PM
The manual states there's a turret stop to set it to common thicknesses. I don't have this planer, but maybe this is engaged?

Robert Hayward
12-10-2017, 5:43 PM
Straight to return/replace? With no diagnostics?

That is what I would do. No diagnostics, nothing but return it. My DW735 is several years old and is still silky smooth both up and down.

Bill Dufour
12-10-2017, 5:45 PM
Any real planer should have a lock so it does not changer thickness during a cut. I would expect it to be locked down for shipping. Do you mean there is no lock so the height does not change?

Mark Bolton
12-10-2017, 5:45 PM
That is what I would do. No diagnostics, nothing but return it. My DW735 is several years old and is still silky smooth both up and down.

Thank heavens for no retail. It'll be interesting to see if there is some internal packing stop or some other issues. Good lord.

Mark Bolton
12-10-2017, 5:47 PM
Any real planer should have a lock so it does not changer thickness during a cut. I would expect it to be locked down for shipping. Do you mean there is no lock so the height does not change?

One of the features of the 735 is that it is "supposedly" self locking. There is suppose to be no need for an external lock. That doesnt mean there wasnt a shipping lock of some sort.

Steve Demuth
12-10-2017, 7:19 PM
I would agree with those who suggest returning it. If you try to fix it, you just make exchange harder.

That said, the one thing that I've seen cause the problem you have is having the four height gears not adjusted to co-planarity. Not hard to fix if that's the problem, but no way it should be necessary on a machine new from the box.

Jon Nuckles
12-10-2017, 7:27 PM
Mine was smooth out of the box and remains smooth years later. Unless DeWalt can diagnose and fix it, I'd return and replace.

Matt Day
12-10-2017, 7:52 PM
Any real planer should have a lock so it does not changer thickness during a cut.

Hmm, guess I should cancel the planned restoration of my Oliver 399. No lock. Wonder what the going rate of scrap iron is? I’ve got 1300 pounds of it.

;-)

Mike Manning
12-10-2017, 8:13 PM
Hmm, guess I should cancel the planned restoration of my Oliver 399. No lock. Wonder what the going rate of scrap iron is? I’ve got 1300 pounds of it.

;-)

Piece of garbage! I'd pay to take it off your hands but hearing it doesn't have a lock I can only offer to haul it to the dump for you free of charge! ;-)

Larry Canterbury
12-10-2017, 8:54 PM
Mark: Yep brand new s of yesterday… “Does the head move when you rotate the wheel?” I’m not sure what the head is (new to wood working and this is my 1st Planer) but if your referring to the main body where the cutters and rollers are, yes it moves with the elevation wheel. I was able to adjust and plain a 1x5 pine board down to just a tad over ½ inch.
Jerry: Lubed the corner posts yesterday and that may have helped a bit but still need 2 hands to adjust elevation. Will check chain tension tomorrow. Thanks
Steve: Good thought on the 4 corner threaded posts. I will check that out tomorrow also. They are only held in place by a 6 mm allen head bolt. Worth a try... :)
To all those who suggested returning it that is definitely an option but would be without for weeks until another arrives and then no guarantee it won’t have troubles also. Since all else seems to work flawlessly I’d rather fix it, but alas if I can’t fix it I’ll have to send it back.
Thanks for all your suggestions. Great bunch of people here.
Larry

Randy Heinemann
12-10-2017, 9:57 PM

No lock on the Dewalt 735 and, when the infeed/outfeed extension tables are set correctly, not noticeable snipe either. While I now use an add-on digital gauge to determine the wood thickness, I just used the original depth gauges on the planer. Never had one problem with getting a board out that wasn't the thickness I intended. It is a great planer. Mine is about 10 years old and still does a great job.

Randy Heinemann
12-10-2017, 9:59 PM
Unless the manual indicates that there is some packing that locks the head in place during shipping, I'd just return it like others have said. Raising and lowering the head has always been easy and smooth on mine.

Nick Decker
12-11-2017, 6:49 AM
Who did you buy it from? Just curious why a replacement would take weeks.

I wouldn't fool with anything, just call the vendor or Dewalt and go from there. Any number of things you might try could void the warranty.

Simon MacGowen
12-11-2017, 9:03 AM
Not normal for your DW735 to lock up like that. If I received a brand new machine and experienced the kind of operating issue you quoted, I would not return the machine straight to the vendor, because I might have missed something that is spelt out in the user manual. I would go over the manual and call the vendor first.

Under no circumstances, however, would I attempt to fix a new machine other than visual examination or checking anything that should be unlocked, etc. You wouldn't try to fix a brand new vehicle if you thought its brake system was locking up as you drove, would you? Then why a woodworking machine, just because you are a woodworker?

As long as the vendor has been contacted and any help received doesn't solve the turning problem, return or exchange it.

However, if you were held hostage to it because you needed it for a project with a deadline, it would be a different story.

Simon

Andrew Pitonyak
12-11-2017, 9:35 AM
Step 1: Call Dewalt and see what they say. For me, they simply sent out a free replacement piece for the part that arrived broken. At least see what they say.

Al Launier
12-11-2017, 9:40 AM
Like those above have stated, by all means before you do anything that might void the warranty call the technical department of DeWalt.

Dan Friedrichs
12-11-2017, 9:49 AM
The raise/lower mechanism is not complicated. It's a chain that wraps around nuts on each of the 4 corner posts. Take the cover off (this is how the blades are changed, so you're not voiding any warranty or anything by doing this - 4 hex nuts using the wrench in the top cover) and you'll immediately see the entire mechanism. Check that the chain tension looks right and look for any obvious binding. If it's not obvious what's wrong (and some lubricant on the corner posts doesn't help), I'd be worried about a bent corner post or something seriously wrong.

Martin Wasner
12-11-2017, 10:29 PM

;-)

My format 4 is also missing this important feature. In fact it doesn't even have a hand crank. Hopefully I'll find some silly sap on Craigslist to buy it for a few hundred bucks.

Mark Bolton
12-12-2017, 10:41 AM
I can't honestly say I've ever engaged a manual lock on any planer I've had that had a lock on it.

We had a 735 for field work and it was a very nice little planer. Feed issues if knives aren't sharp and things aren't kept clean and waxed but a nice machine.

My guess is its something simple and as stated, pull the cover off and look around. You may well have a dud but woudlnt do much tinkering before you call support.

Curt Harms
12-12-2017, 10:49 AM
My format 4 is also missing this important feature. In fact it doesn't even have a hand crank. Hopefully I'll find some silly sap on Craigslist to buy it for a few hundred bucks.

Silly sap here. Where are you located? 20 cents a pound sound OK?

:D

Martin Wasner
12-12-2017, 8:52 PM
Silly sap here. Where are you located? 20 cents a pound sound OK?

:D

I wouldn't want you to overpay, twelve pack and you haul it away? I just want it gone now.

Mark, I used to tighten the locks on my Grizzlymatic planer. I don't know if it did much, but it made me feel better.

Curt Harms
12-13-2017, 6:06 AM
When I had a Delta 22-580 which had a manual head lock, I tried planing with and without the head lock. I couldn't notice a difference. The 22-540 on the other hand could have used a head lock. Good portable planer but that little sucker sniped! Re the DeWalt 735, it'll be interesting to find out what Larry finds out. If I recall correctly, the 735 has a built-in headlock mechanism. No idea how it works but do when they first came out the blurbs talked about some mechanism built into the cutterhead assembly that if the head tried to move while planing these gadgets were supposed to clamp to the post and prevent head movement. If there is such a mechanism and it is slightly out of adjustment so not completely releasing, that could cause the symptoms Larry is experiencing.

Lenny Howard
04-23-2018, 4:19 PM
Just like the OP, Larry Canterbury, I took delivery my Dewalt 735 today and am experiencing the same issues. Wondering what, if anything, he found out?

Andrew Pitonyak
04-23-2018, 5:07 PM
Just like the OP, Larry Canterbury, I took delivery my Dewalt 735 today and am experiencing the same issues. Wondering what, if anything, he found out?

If this is new, I would immediately call Dewalt support. If this is used, that is a different matter.

Lenny Howard
04-23-2018, 6:07 PM
If this is new, I would immediately call Dewalt support. If this is used, that is a different matter.
Brand new out of the box. Tried their online chat support but all I got was someone who offered to refer me to a service center or suggested I return it from where I ordered. I will try their phone support tomorrow in hopes that they actual offer technical support. I can always send it back but I would prefer to get it working if possible.

Terry Kelly
04-23-2018, 7:18 PM
I haven’t had any issues thankfully I just got mine this past Christmas.....I’d definitely be on the return train.....

Dan Friedrichs
04-23-2018, 10:22 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, the height mechanism is extremely simple. Take the lid off (as though you were changing the blades) and you'll see the chain and sprockets on each of the 4 posts. See if anything is binding or obstructed or whatever. This is some really basic troubleshooting to attempt before calling.

Lenny Howard
04-24-2018, 7:08 AM
As I said earlier in the thread, the height mechanism is extremely simple. Take the lid off (as though you were changing the blades) and you'll see the chain and sprockets on each of the 4 posts. See if anything is binding or obstructed or whatever. This is some really basic troubleshooting to attempt before calling.
Yes, Thanks Dan! I plan to do that today before calling. I have heard others have had this problem. One had a bent post, another said it moved hard at first but loosened up with use.

Lenny Howard
04-24-2018, 8:41 AM
Dewalt tech support had this to say, "Are you turning it counter clockwise"? =)
So much for tech support. Suggested I contact a Factory Service center.

Lenny Howard
04-26-2018, 2:30 PM
I think I have decided to keep it. I saw other owners have had issues with the built in locking system in that the handle actually moved when in operation, changing the height. I guess it's better to have it work hard than to be too loose. After forcing it all the way up and down a few times it seems to be going easier. What would you recommend for lubrication the chain? I'm thinking a dry lubricant that doesn't cause sawdust build up might be best. ... ??

Dustin Bullard
04-26-2018, 4:33 PM
I can elevate my 735 with two fingers easily and I have never had it move on me at all. A selling point on the 735 is that it doesn't need to be locked down manually because its a 4 post design... If you go to your local BORG they probably have one set up (I know Lowes usually has the 735 on display) so you can see what it should take to rotate the handle...

A broken machine is a broken machine, thinking it will get any better is flawed logic, it may loosen up over time but you paid a small fortune for it you should get a machine that is working 100% correctly. I'm sure he fix is easy, its probably just a misaligned elevation between the posts, however this is a vendor problem, making it your problem has a strong possibility of a voided warranty. Think about this from the likely scenario where you have to take it in for service for a warranty claim, can you prove you didn't break it?

The most likely situation here is that you are wearing out the height adjustment by forcing it past a bind which all but guarantees that you will have to repair/replace the machine sooner than you would if it were working correctly... The big question, compare the cost of having to replace the machine in a year or so vs the inconvenience of having to have it replaced now, do you really want to gamble?