PDA

View Full Version : Turned boxes ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-25-2003, 11:51 AM
on the new Mini Jet (which I gloated on the other day), have really been a pleasure. Looks like the ShopSmith has been outlawed to large bowl heaven. I plan on getting the bed extension soon for the Mini to do longer spindle turning on later. Here are a couple of boxes turned this morning. The smaller one (4 1/2" x 3") is Mahogany and the larger one (5 1/2" X 3") is Butternut. They both have a Danish Oil finish. I took one to work last night and set it on my desk. I sold it and had five more ordered before I went home. I also sold six of the pens I made the last couple of days. If I knew the Mini would generate the business, I'd have bought it a long time ago. At this rate, the Mini has almost paid for itself already! Thanks for looking, be safe and have fun!

Jerry Todd
06-25-2003, 1:19 PM
on the new Mini Jet (which I gloated on the other day), have really been a pleasure. Looks like the ShopSmith has been outlawed to large bowl heaven. I plan on getting the bed extension soon for the Mini to do longer spindle turning on later. Here are a couple of boxes turned this morning. The smaller one (4 1/2" x 3") is Mahogany and the larger one (5 1/2" X 3") is Butternut. They both have a Danish Oil finish. I took one to work last night and set it on my desk. I sold it and had five more ordered before I went home. I also sold six of the pens I made the last couple of days. If I knew the Mini would generate the business, I'd have bought it a long time ago. At this rate, the Mini has almost paid for itself already! Thanks for looking, be safe and have fun!
Well done Ron. I have never turned but am catching the bug. A few questions, Solid stock or glue ups? Did you learn on your own or take a class?

Scott Greaves
06-25-2003, 3:23 PM
Hey Ron,

I don't think you can blame the Jet Mini for all that! I mean, if you weren't turning such nice little boxes anyway, the Jet couldn't make that much of a difference! ;) Those boxes turned out well, didn't they! I'm going to have to try some boxes soon, but I'm having so much fun with bowls right now I haven't even turned a pen lately, much less a box! Good Job!

Scott.

Mark Hulette
06-26-2003, 8:40 AM
Ron-

Nice work! I started out on a homemade (not by me) lathe that had about 2" of runout!!! No exaggeration. Well, maybe a little. :D But it took me about an hour to turn a pen even close to tolerances. Got a Jet mini back in November and could not believe the difference~ It's not a world record or a contest but I can turn a pen now in 12-15 minutes. :)

Now I'm working on turning boxes and have been really inspired by Richard Raffan's book and video series. I'm still trying to get his "back hollowing" technique down but I'm still able to hollow them out. Now to work on those lids!

Thanks for posting and giving me a little push to keep on trying!

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-26-2003, 10:46 AM
for the feedback ... it's nice to have fellow woodworkers appreciate your efforts (however futile they may be).

Jerry,
To answer your questions, I use all solid stock. I want to get into some laminates to get color combinations, but haven't done that yet. I did get the Richard Raffin video on turned boxes, and have now developed my own techniques, using some of the way he does it. I guess everbody does that after they've turned a while.

Scott,
Thanks fo your comments. Your opinions are always welcome! I hope I can get to your level making pens.

Mark,
I turn the lids first on one end, hollow them out part way (to make them lighter), and part off the lid. I then turn the box body down to match the inside of the lid, so it's a snug fit. I then put the lid back on the box, since it's snug, it's a good compression fit. If it's a little loose, I just use masking tape to hold it together. I then finish the design for the top of the lid. I finish by turning the lid and the box at the same time to get a uniform line all the way down. I sand to 440 grit, apply a little 0000 steel wool. and finish with a brown shopping bag to buff. I then apply my Danish Oil finish. I like the way they look. I'm posting another today with a little added touch.

Thanks for looking, be safe, and have fun turning.