PDA

View Full Version : Microwave Arcing

Jim Koepke
12-09-2017, 8:53 PM
There was a quick light show inside the microwave today. It appears there was some arcing to the door:

It was shut off immediately, cleaned and tried quickly again. Seemed to be okay, but it is hard to trust after the panic.

The total length of the area shown is about 51mm or 2".

The two dots in the center have been there for quite a while. The marks on either side are new.

Is there a fix for this or is it time to purchase a new microwave?

This thing isn't much more than 5 years old.

jtk

Jim Becker
12-09-2017, 8:57 PM
If that was in my house, it would be unplugged and out of the house.... Given the prices for new microwaves, even for the better, bigger and more capable ones, it's probably not worth trying to get fixed, IMHO. We're soon to replace ours, honestly.

John K Jordan
12-09-2017, 9:28 PM
Yea, take it outside.

Before you toss it, run an extension cord to it and microwave some old CDs for entertainment.

JKJ

Bill Jobe
12-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Stick a light bulb in it after that just for fun. An incandescent.

Bill Jobe
12-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Or a piece of steel wool.

Bill Graham
12-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Don't throw it in the trash, take it to your local electronics recycler. At least then someone will get something out of it.

Marc Jeske
12-09-2017, 11:30 PM
After the above suggestions, an exciting finale would be to micro a whole egg in shell till it explodes.

The egg, that is..

The interior will be TOTALLY covered w egg like you wouldn't believe.

"Don't ask me how I know"

A half dozen would be awesome... well worth the $1.50.

Heck, you could even like number the eggs or something and have betting on different possibilities.

Marc

Frank Pratt
12-10-2017, 3:20 AM
Cut a grape almost in half, so the pieces are still connected by a little skin. Lay the halves face down in the microwave & nuke away. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes you get a good arc show at the junction & occasionally the arc will form a ball of plasma, rise from the grape, & hover around inside the oven. It makes a horrendous buzz when this happens & is kinda frightening. Large firm green seedless grapes seem to work best for this.

My kids & I used to amuse ourselves doing this, much to the dismay of missus.

John K Jordan
12-10-2017, 6:14 AM
Wow, all the good ideas.

And here I thought the kitchen microwave was just for drying pieces of turning wood.

James Pallas
12-10-2017, 7:01 AM
Those pesky little microwaves are about 3" long and the diameter of a pencil. If they get loose thru one of those holes they'll run all over the kitchen causing all kinds of havoc:D time for a new "Radar" range.
Jim
PS don't experiment unless you know about capacitors, there is one inside waiting to give you a big surprise.

Pat Barry
12-10-2017, 7:34 AM
I'd put a strip of electrical tape over the affected area and try it again.

Bill Jobe
12-10-2017, 8:12 AM
Don't do the live cat thing.

Dick Strauss
12-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Jumbo marshmallows on the 40-50% power setting....

Mike Cutler
12-10-2017, 11:49 AM
uhhhhmmm,,,,, No. That's the end of that one.
You can follow all of the other disposal advice given, some of which would definitely be fun, but in the end, it's time for a new microwave.
Get it out of the house my friend.

Bruce Volden
12-10-2017, 2:51 PM
Fractal engraving???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuG1oNRQnyI

Bruce

Arthur Fleming
12-10-2017, 6:32 PM
My other hobby I’m still active in, is metal detecting. On one of the MD forums there was a good article on how to use a home microwave to smelt gold. It was HEAVILY recommended to use a 12 awg extension cord and do this outside, in the driveway. I don’t find enough gold to have gone any further than reading the article, but it could be a cool way to retire a machine LOL.