PDA

View Full Version : polymeric sand for joints between pavers

Stephen Tashiro
12-07-2017, 8:11 PM
Does using polymeric sand (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sakrete-40-lb-Tan-Brown-Polymeric-Sand/3502168 ) to fill joints between pavers make it difficult to reset pavers that have settled or been heaved up?

Paul F Franklin
12-07-2017, 8:40 PM
A little harder than if it were plain sand, but PS is nowhere near as hard as, say, mortar or grout, so it's pretty easy to dig out if you need to remove a paver or two. Of course the real answer is to do a proper base so heaving or settling isn't a problem. If for some reason you have a large area to remove, a pressure washer will blast it right out.

I find I have to refresh the polymeric sand about every 4 or 5 years. By then the bond tends to break down and stuff starts to grow between the pavers, just like with regular sand.

Stan Calow
12-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Agree with Paul. The polymeric sand doesnt bond as hard as they make it sound like it will. I still have to replace it where it gets washed out by hard rains. I would still use it, however.

Stephen Tashiro
12-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks to Paul and Stan for the replies. In my situation, I'm not worried about weeds. I'd like to be able to use a leaf blower or a hose (not a pressure washer) occasionally to get debris off the pavers and I do expect some of the pavers to settle eventually.

Harry Hagan
12-10-2017, 1:41 PM
I've found the fastest method for removing polymeric joints without disturbing the underlying base is to use a drill motor with the appropriate sized drill bit: Drill into the joint and then move the bit sideways like a router to remove the material.

dennis thompson
12-18-2017, 4:27 PM
I just had my driveway done with pavers and the mason said he didn't think the polymeric sand (which was much more expensive) was necessary so he just used regular sand.
As an aside ,as he was doing the driveway, he discovered,after he took up the blacktop, that he needed much less of the base than he thought he would need so he reduced the price by $800, talk about honest ,I would have never known anything about the need for less base, if he hadn't told me. He clearly could have charged me the original amount and I'd have never known the difference.