PDA

View Full Version : (new) Rough Cut

Mike Walsh
12-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Tom McLaughlin (Epic Woodworking) sent out an email this morning that he'll be replacing Tommy MacDonald on Rough Cuts. The show is now partnered with Fine Woodworking and will be renamed Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking. Tom was a guest a few times on the old show and great to watch (IMO). Should be interesting

Mike Ontko
12-07-2017, 1:26 PM
Glad to hear that they're continuing with the program. I didn't think McDonald fit really well as a show host, though the program format and editing didn't do much good for his type of energy. I found it to be more demonstrative (see what I did) than instructive (here's how to do it). I was introduced to Homer Formby videos during my earlier days in woodworking and then became a regular watcher of Bob Vila, This Old House, Hometime, and New Yankee Workshop. Hopefully with McLaughlin, they'll also revise the presentation and format.

Matt Day
12-07-2017, 1:27 PM
Good to hear! Looks like it will begin airing on PBS in April. Not that i didn’t like Tommy Mac, but he could be annoying.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/12/06/fine-woodworking-brings-rough-cut

Andrew Pitonyak
12-07-2017, 3:39 PM
It was one of the wood working shows that my wife was willing to watch. My guess is that my wife appreciated his appearance, but it could be because it was less technique than some of the others. She considers the guy on the Woodrights Shop to be clever from a linguistic point of view, but, the rest of the family runs away when I put it on.

lowell holmes
12-07-2017, 4:35 PM
I was OK with Tommy MacDonald. I am glad they are bringing the show back. I miss Norm Abrams though.

Brian Henderson
12-07-2017, 4:53 PM
I was OK with Tommy MacDonald. I am glad they are bringing the show back. I miss Norm Abrams though.

Same here, even though I've liked other shows, I don't think anyone has the same kind of personality that Norm had. I've met him a couple of times and he's a genuinely nice person. But you can't go home again, I guess. We'll see how the new show goes.

Mark Smith, too
12-07-2017, 5:53 PM
Hope the new show is a success. Looking at the FW blurb it will be a furniture building show. What I miss with Norm is the variety he had. He did carpentry projects (garden gate, pergola, shed, cupola, etc.) as well as furniture projects, and even threw in a chair IIRC and a whirlygig. It would be nice to see that sort of variety again in a woodworking show. Not all of us build furniture all the time.

lowell holmes
12-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I religiously watch "This Old House" and "Ask This Old House".

Brian Tymchak
12-08-2017, 3:08 PM
I think it's a great idea and look forward to it. I always enjoyed the Rough Cut shows with Tom McLaughlin. I hope he spends a little more time explaining design and joinery aspects than Tommy Mac did. Hopefully he will have the leeway from his sponsors/producers to do 2-part shows as Norm did on occasion to keep a consistent level of information flow across the shows.

I will miss though the visits by Steve Brown from North Bennet Street School. He offered a lot of good info on design and technique.

Carroll Courtney
12-08-2017, 5:14 PM
Where I'm at we did not always get Tommy Mac which left us with only TOH.But I hope we get the new improved Rough Cut,looks promising
http://s3.amazonaws.com/finewoodworking.s3.tauntoncloud.com/app/uploads/2017/12/06171301/RoughCut-700x394.jpg

Rod Sheridan
12-09-2017, 11:32 AM
That sounds like an improvement, I found Tommy too frenetic, and hard to watch.

It has nothing to do with his humour, I loved the Woodwright's Shop, Roy was a classic.........Regards, Rod.

Paul Tubergen
12-11-2017, 1:33 PM
I was hoping to see his new shop and the minimax machines in use...

Edwin Santos
12-11-2017, 4:35 PM
Hope the new show is a success. Looking at the FW blurb it will be a furniture building show. What I miss with Norm is the variety he had. He did carpentry projects (garden gate, pergola, shed, cupola, etc.) as well as furniture projects, and even threw in a chair IIRC and a whirlygig. It would be nice to see that sort of variety again in a woodworking show. Not all of us build furniture all the time.

I too liked Norm's variety. It would be something great to see a reboot of NYWS hosted by Tom Silva where each segment was an hour long.

Rod Sheridan
12-11-2017, 4:58 PM
I was hoping to see his new shop and the minimax machines in use...

Oh yeah, that would have been great.............Rod.

Tom Bain
12-11-2017, 8:57 PM
Not to change the subject, but do folks here get/watch the “Woodsmith Shop” and what are your thoughts? Everyone likes Norm, but my favorite was David Marks’ WoodWorks show on the DIY channel. Some really top-notch work, lots of variety.

Brian Henderson
12-11-2017, 9:47 PM
Not to change the subject, but do folks here get/watch the “Woodsmith Shop” and what are your thoughts? Everyone likes Norm, but my favorite was David Marks’ WoodWorks show on the DIY channel. Some really top-notch work, lots of variety.

I liked Woodworks too, although I liked Norm better. Those are the only two woodworking shows I've archived in their entirety.

Simon MacGowen
12-11-2017, 10:16 PM
I liked Woodworks too, although I liked Norm better. Those are the only two woodworking shows I've archived in their entirety.

+1 on NYW. Still watch Norm's now and then; his is entertainment (skills and techniques...long past them). Everything else does not interest me much because the host is not Norm. Bias...yes!

Simon

lowell holmes
12-12-2017, 5:28 PM
I've never understood how they paid for those shows,

Brian Henderson
12-12-2017, 6:21 PM

The annual beg-a-thon? Government money?

Julie Moriarty
12-12-2017, 7:51 PM
I love Tommy Mac. He may be goofy at times and high energy at others but he's real. I hope he lands something elsewhere.

Shawn Pixley
12-12-2017, 8:24 PM
I preferred Tommy Mac over Norm by a lot. Unfortunately he didn’t really get to show his best side with the short format shows. I wish the best for the new one.

Stan Calow
12-12-2017, 11:31 PM
I liked Tommy Mac too, but wasn't interested in a lot of his projects. He lost me on the new shop build - furnishing the inside of the shop would have been more interesting. I like the Woodsmith show because they cover more than one thing in an episode.

Edwin Santos
12-13-2017, 12:24 AM

Do you remember the sponsor ad at the beginning of every NYWS show from Porter Cable and Delta? There's your answer.

That show was produced by the Boston PBS affiliate WGBH. So their annual fund drive may have contributed also. Many PBS shows receive funds through grants from charitable trusts and foundations, often mentioned at the beginning or end of the show so there may have been some of that type of sponsorship in the background also.

Brian Tymchak
12-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Rough Cut's primary sponsor was Woodcraft. Don't know how much of the budget that actually covered though.

Matt Evans
12-13-2017, 10:57 AM
It was one of the wood working shows that my wife was willing to watch. My guess is that my wife appreciated his appearance, but it could be because it was less technique than some of the others. She considers the guy on the Woodrights Shop to be clever from a linguistic point of view, but, the rest of the family runs away when I put it on.

Roy is a great guy, lots of knowledge and talent, but I can't watch the Woodwrights Shop. Wears me out just to watch him going 6000 miles an hour non stop.

Julie Moriarty
12-14-2017, 1:23 PM
I preferred Tommy Mac over Norm by a lot. Unfortunately he didn’t really get to show his best side with the short format shows. I wish the best for the new one.

I agree, doing a whole project in that short format, even with the quick delivery of Tommy Mac, left a lot uncovered.

I've been watching the build on Tommy's new shop and I have really been enjoying the slower pace. And he's building that place first class! I wonder how he's feeling about having built the new shop and then getting replaced?

Morey St. Denis
12-14-2017, 2:18 PM
Who can doubt the brilliance of foresight and ideal timing to get Tommy's new shop fully outfitted with top-notch woodworking equipment all for free! My bet is that they already sensed that change was in the wind and planned the private workshop build while his "stock" and recognition factor was still sailing "high". It was clearly not in any way intended to readily facilitate a production and filming crew, the new quarters are ideally suited for an individual craftsman and perhaps a single guest visitor. The venue of their former production was leased space. You can be certain that any "Rough Cut" episodes going forward will not be recorded within that workshop T. MacD. helped to build. Expect that property is fully owned by he and the spouse.

Mike Krueger
01-15-2018, 3:17 PM
Got this from Tom McL a couple days ago to share wgbh.cimediacloud.com/r/mOKDww (https://wgbh.cimediacloud.com/r/mOKDww) Seems to me the show will go in a direction that all levels may find relevant, regardless of the specific projects involved.

Ted Derryberry
01-15-2018, 3:27 PM
Roy is a great guy, lots of knowledge and talent, but I can't watch the Woodwrights Shop. Wears me out just to watch him going 6000 miles an hour non stop.

I have to agree with that.

Keith Hankins
01-15-2018, 4:56 PM

Me too, I remember watching him back in his blog days. Found him by accident. Was great. 30 min (22 about) just way to short.

Greg Hines, MD
01-15-2018, 6:08 PM
I still would prefer the New Yankee Workshop to any of the current crop of tool/woodworking shows out there.

Doc

lowell holmes
01-15-2018, 6:10 PM
I agree, me too.

Peter Christensen
01-15-2018, 6:30 PM
Anyone know when the show will actually start airing?

Edwin Santos
01-15-2018, 7:15 PM
Got this from Tom McL a couple days ago to share wgbh.cimediacloud.com/r/mOKDww (https://wgbh.cimediacloud.com/r/mOKDww) Seems to me the show will go in a direction that all levels may find relevant, regardless of the specific projects involved.

Thanks for sharing that. It looks like it could be a very good show based on that trailer

Edwin Santos
01-15-2018, 7:26 PM
Who can doubt the brilliance of foresight and ideal timing to get Tommy's new shop fully outfitted with top-notch woodworking equipment all for free! My bet is that they already sensed that change was in the wind and planned the private workshop build while his "stock" and recognition factor was still sailing "high". It was clearly not in any way intended to readily facilitate a production and filming crew, the new quarters are ideally suited for an individual craftsman and perhaps a single guest visitor. The venue of their former production was leased space. You can be certain that any "Rough Cut" episodes going forward will not be recorded within that workshop T. MacD. helped to build. Expect that property is fully owned by he and the spouse.

If it went down like you're describing, I wonder how the manufacturers of the "free" equipment feel about it. They might not exactly call it brilliance of foresight.

Rod Sheridan
01-16-2018, 8:09 AM
Thanks Mike, looks interesting.

Is that the shop that Tommy built?

Regards, Rod.

Robert Engel
01-16-2018, 9:22 AM
Anyone know if Charles Neil got off the ground? He was filming a pilot.

Travis Porter
01-16-2018, 10:04 AM
I personally am looking forward to it. I enjoyed the prior episodes that had Tom McLaughlin on it.

Woodsmith shop is so so and American Woodworker with Scott Phillips just doesn't do it for me.

I do miss Norm.

Mike Walsh
01-16-2018, 12:12 PM
I heard the new episodes with Tom McLaughlin are planned to start showing in April and are being filmed in his shop in NH

Jim Tobias
01-16-2018, 1:12 PM
+1 on David Marks Woodworks. His show was my favorite. BUT....Norm got me hooked in woodworking many years ago.

Jim

Jim Andrew
01-16-2018, 8:32 PM
I liked Tommy Mac and his show, it just aired so erratic it was hard to catch it. Personally don't need a lot of detail, and his show was fine with me. Don't care much for the woodsmith show. Too much plywood, I use hardwood.

Paul Girouard
01-17-2018, 1:10 AM
Linked video looked good, looking forward to it!

Simon MacGowen
01-17-2018, 8:27 AM
Anyone know if Charles Neil got off the ground? He was filming a pilot.

I don't know how other woodworkers could stay awake watching Neil's videos. I admire their ability!

I almost fell asleep half way every time when I watched any one of his long-winded clips. Needless to say, I had not viewed too many of his (and none from start to finish).

Simon

Jacob Mac
01-17-2018, 9:52 AM
If it went down like you're describing, I wonder how the manufacturers of the "free" equipment feel about it. They might not exactly call it brilliance of foresight.

I'm positive an international corporation knows how to protect its interests.

Jon Nuckles
01-17-2018, 10:46 AM

I wonder if the equipment was provided for free. While I understand that is usually the case, the manufacturer is usually a sponsor of the show and has a "sponsored by" spot. That was the case when Tommy was using all Powermatic equipment. I don't recall seeing that for Minimax. Also noticed that the Minimax logo on the machines was pixillated in an episode I watched recently (the one making doors for his lumber storage).

matt romanowski
01-17-2018, 10:50 AM
I have to say that Tommy Mac is a great guy. I did a "How to use a plane" class last year and it was great. This past weekend I did a class with him on dovetails. In a Saturday morning he taught 3 of us how to do a full blind dovetail. Sunday morning we made some more and then did a half blind. He is more than generous with his time, knowledge, and for me, tools. He might be a bit different than your regular TV host, but everything he does for people is in an effort to help people. I can only say great things about him. He's got some irons in the fire and working on some projects. I can't wait to see what is next for hiim. I only wish I had enough money to commission him to make me something.

Edwin Santos
01-17-2018, 11:01 AM
I'm positive an international corporation knows how to protect its interests.
I agree with you which is why I doubt any of the equipment was "free" with no strings attached based on some masterful chess move by TMac. One would expect the tool vendor's lawyers would stipulate plenty of conditions in some type of agreement.

Now maybe based on his fame and the possibility of exposure, plus the implication that this celebrity woodworker is endorsing the equipment, I could see him getting a discount that the rest of us might not get. I think lots of people on YouTube with large followings get those kinds of perks. Good deal for both parties.

Can you imagine how many tools, jigs, accessories have been sent to Norm Abram over the years seeking his endorsement, or even just his feedback? Good for him, he's earned it.

Julie Moriarty
01-17-2018, 11:09 AM

Looks like Felder and Fine Woodworking and sponsors. If you've ever seen Felder videos of things they build with their machines, they are pretty well done and informative, too. While I'll miss Tommy Mac's personality, the new format shows some promise. Now let's hope they don't FedEx the shows like they did with Tommy Mac.

Marc Jeske
05-26-2018, 6:37 PM
Episode 801 - I think new, viewed today - Shaker Hall table made of Cherry.

He secures the top to apron on all 4 sides w pocket screws.

I TOTALLY disagree.. no allowance for future movement.

I say he is just plain wrong, or am I silly ?

How does this slide w the "Fine Woodworking" name on it?

Marc

Dave Richards
05-26-2018, 10:51 PM
Episode 801 - I think new, viewed today - Shaker Hall table made of Cherry.

He secures the top to apron on all 4 sides w pocket screws.

I TOTALLY disagree.. no allowance for future movement.

I say he is just plain wrong, or am I silly ?

How does this slide w the "Fine Woodworking" name on it?

Marc

He elongates the holes in the long aprons to allow for movement although there wouldn't be much. There's less than 7 in. between the screws on the end aprons and the ones on the side aprons.

To quote Tom...

As for the wood movement issue. The screws at each end, in the center of the short rail don’t move at all. While the three screws along the long rails run in through holes that are reamed out a bit from side to side to accommodate for the minimal movement. With this arrangement, the top will only move from the center or the width out to the rail, approximately a 7” span. The reamed holes are more than enough to take care of that, even moving to a high humidity area.

Marc Jeske
05-27-2018, 3:14 AM
Dave - Somehow I missed that part.

Thank you, Marc

Matthew Hills
05-27-2018, 10:25 AM
They currently have videos online of the first 3 episodes at FWW:
https://www.finewoodworking.com/rough-cut/episodes
(and previews of others)

Overall, pretty decent. I expect to watch as projects catch my eye.
I liked the bow-front cabinet build. He's doing a nice job focusing on the interesting parts (although a 1-hour format would be a better format for the keen woodworking audience)

I must say that I sort of cringe at the dust highlighted in the opening sequence. (*)
And seems like SCMI will get short shrift with stock prep not making the final cut...

Matt

(*) - I recall seeing dust highlighted in a video about building the Jarvi Bench, but I mostly remember the snorkel sucking it up when angle grinding... but a quick review shows that it was much worse than I had remembered.
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3utt2Y5aH0&feature=player_embedded#at=89 )

I'd also originally noted the use of traditional cabinet saw-style jigs with the slider (Dave Richards got the quote). Not sure on the rationale, but seems reasonable. Felder's youtube videos are great for showing the slider workflow.

Dave Richards
05-27-2018, 10:43 AM
- using a jig, rather than the slider, for cutting leg tapers

Matt

They are using a slider because Felder is a sponsor of the program. Product placement. I think they use the jig and crosscut sleds because that's more like what the majority of their audience is likely to use.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2018, 1:13 PM
I have seen the first 3 episodes carried by a local PBS station. I like them. I can learn from him.

Van Huskey
05-27-2018, 4:57 PM
I'd also originally noted the use of traditional cabinet saw-style jigs with the slider

Actually, for advertising, it may be a smart move. Those that are familiar with sliders know how to handle these things without cabinet saw style jigs, those that don't may see a slider in a new light where it isn't so foreign and can function similar to a cabinet saw if one likes, so they can explore the option without the feeling they are losing 20 years of cabinet saw jigs and fixtures.

I like the new show, I did grow to tolerate Tommy's frenetic cadence and pace though. I have seen 4 of the 8 episodes that are posted on finewoodworking.com I am not sure if they are behind the paywall since I am a member. My local PBS doesn't seem to be airing it and the PBS app doesn't seem to have it listed but I think that varies by your location so people in areas that are airing it may find it there as well.