PDA

View Full Version : Birthday & Christmas Suprises

Leo Hill
11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Well - not really a suprise if I specifically point out something that I want - but you get the idea.;)

My 55th is in two weeks and momma told me this morning over coffee and toast that she hasn't a clue for a birthday or Christmas gift that I would really like.

It seems that she has gotten the impression - somehow, I don't know how or when - that I don't enjoy (or even especially like) her gift choices of the past few years.

I mean what's not to like - in 2002 she bought me a Grizzly cabinet saw. In 2003 a variable speed sawz-all. Last year a new Royobi circular saw. Not to mention the small stuff like clamps, hand planes and chisels sets and such.

But she's convinced herself that I need something "special" to commerate this BD and Xmas.

And folks, I'm fresh out of ideas for a gift that is less than $100. There isn't anything that I really "need" - except more time to work in the shop.

So here I am asking for your assistance - what doo-dad or gizmo, tool or ... well, something that you didn't know you really needed but have found so handy that you now don't understand how you ever got a project finished without it.

Let's not limit this idea exchange to wood shop only items, but let's try to keep the suggestions to things under $100.

So here's your chance to suggest my birthday (and maybe Xmas) present. I (and SWMBO) eagerly await the outcome.

Thanks for your help in solving this dilemma.

Leo

Jim Becker
11-06-2005, 11:52 AM
How about a class in something you're interested in but haven't had the chance to tackle? Sometimes "stuff" isn't the answer!

tod evans
11-06-2005, 12:01 PM
two of the most thought provoking books i still refer to are circular work in carpentry and joinery by george collings and a treatise on stairbuilding and handrailing by w&a mowat. just an idea? tod

John Miliunas
11-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Not knowing all the doo-dads you may already have, I'll throw out suggestions for a few things I used to get along without but, now truly appreciate having. The "Beadlock" loose tenon system. Real handy for quick joinery. Precision measuring peripherals, for instance, Starrett combo square or straightedge. Or, a Grrrripper system?:) Just a few suggestions....:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
11-06-2005, 1:07 PM
A day at Sam Maloof's place

Jeff Sudmeier
11-06-2005, 2:15 PM
I have the miller dowel system. I have the number 1, but having the big and the mini and assorted dowels would be very handy.

I have to agree with John that the beedlock would be nice too.

Vaughn McMillan
11-06-2005, 4:46 PM
John beat me to the Grrripper idea...that's at the top of my "why didn't I get one of these things sooner?" list. Do you have a good miter gauge? The Incra 1000SE can be had for about $100.

Whatever you get, don't trade in your wife. Any spouse who would buy a you cabinet saw is definitely a keeper. ;)

- Vaughn

JayStPeter
11-06-2005, 5:16 PM
I always peruse the Lee Valley and LN catalogs when I need gifts in that price range. I don't know what exactly you have, but a block plane, rabbeting plane, or dovetail saw are all super useful.

Jay

Leo Hill
11-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I really appreciate your input. I used your ideas to formulate some of my own thoughts on what would be a good addition to my tooling.

As momma is adverse to doing anything but ordering with a catalog number, I went to Rockler and put on my 'wish list' their version of the "Scary Sharp" sharpening system.

Perhaps I am a sharpening dolt, but it seems that the oil and water stones I currently use are not yielding the sharpest edges on my chisels as I would like. So we'll try the Rockler sandpaper/glass system and see if I can improve my sharp edges.

I appreciate your help.

Best,

Leo