PDA

View Full Version : Couple Recent Gloats

JayStPeter
11-06-2005, 9:57 AM
I'm finally getting around to posting my October gloats. I got a LV MKII sharpening jig and a Festool TDK12 cordless drill. I've had enough time with them now to get a good feel and provide a quick review of each.

The MKII is exactly what I'd hoped. It is a nicely improved over the old LV jig. The angle setting jig allows you to quickly slap in a blade in need of a touch up and repeatably hone it. With the old jig, there was some fiddling around to get that done. The only downside was having to regrind most of my primary bevels to the new jigs angle guide from a few degrees off. It also showed how easy it was to get out of square using the old jig.

The TDK12 is a nice drill. It is smaller in every dimension than my old PC 12V, but it is very slightly heavier. I have already taken advantage of the very small size that the drill can become by removing the chuck and putting a driver bit right into the front of the drill. It can get into some tight spots even without the optional right angle and offset attachments. The attachments seem pretty slick and I'm looking forward to having them available. I haven't done anything to assess the power yet.
As you can see from the photo, my 29 piece drill bit set fits right into the systainer where the charger comes out. This is one systainer I actually use. When I hung some curtain rods I was able to put everything I needed in the systainer except my 4' level. It made hauling everything to the "job site" much easier. I had none of my typical trips back to the shop to retrieve a forgotten bit.
I think the true test of the value of this expensive drill is going to come years down the road. I was at a point where the batteries on my PC were pretty well shot and I needed to make a decision. I could've replaced the cells in one pack and bought another second (one was physically broken), bought another drill or drill/impact kit, or spent some cash on the Festool. In fairness to the PC it came down to Festool vs. another PC. I'm hoping that when I reach the that point on this one the decision will be more obvious.

Jay

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Nice gloat Jay. Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing the drill for some time now.

Jim Becker
11-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I hardly ever pick up my beloved Dewalt drill/driver any more...the TDK12 is almost "glued to my hand" when I need to use that kind of tool. It just goes...and goes...and goes...I've never had battery life like this Festool machine has in the drill/driver. My only complaint...is the continued lack of Robertson/square drive bits in the native Centrotec format so I could take advantage of very short nose in tight quarters better than I can with the wire-detent drivers in the quick change adapter.

JayStPeter
11-06-2005, 2:06 PM
Bernie,
With the available rebates from Festool, it seemed like a good time to buy :) .

Jim,
It sounds like Festool is working on the square drive stuff. So far I've continued to use my old clunky Stanley/Bosch/Hitachi drill/drive system. Over time I'll probably step up to the plate with some additional Centrotec stuff (other than what came with the set).

Jay

Jim Becker
11-06-2005, 2:32 PM
Jay, the Centrotec BH65 Bit Holder (http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=492648&ID=0) will allow you to use all your current 1/4" hex accessories, both wire-detent and ball-detent. I use the short McFeeley's wire-detent square drive bits in it to conserve space. It's nice and lightweight as compared to using the big chuck with a third-party bit holder.

Steve Clardy
11-06-2005, 2:55 PM
So Jay. Did you get the complete MKll?
Or have they come out with another jig for it?
Not quite following here. I have the MKll system.

Corey Hallagan
11-06-2005, 9:06 PM
Congrats on the great new tools Jay, enjoy them!

Corey

JayStPeter
11-07-2005, 2:32 PM
Jim,

My drill came with a centrotec starter set. It has a bit holder that holds wire detent bits. But, it doesn't appear to be the same one you provided a link to. The McFeelys bits fit into it, but the wire detents on them don't appear to be at the right depth to engage properly. Same with the drill without the centrotec chuck. They fit into the front, but don't engage like the one Festool HI-Q bit I got.
I am waitching with some interest to see what the centrotec mega kit they come out with is going to entail. Sounds like you will get square drive before or when that happens too.

Steve,
The MkII honing guide, not power sharpening system.

Corey,
Thanks, I am. Just had another weekend where I got to play... er ... use both. :D

I did quite a bit more sharpening this weekend. As much as I dread that chore, the new honing guide is a gem. I just need to make a nice station that makes the sharpening medium (now SS, but may move to stones) quickly available instead of having to retrieve bits and pieces from all over the shop.

Jay

Jay