PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking advice (not Susan)

Blake McCully
11-06-2005, 9:12 AM
Hi all,
As I said in an earlier thread, I've gotten into pepper mills. Just finished my first and not a bad job (pics coming soon). I'm still only using the grind mechanism, not the ceramic. As soon as I get paid for some commissions I plan to try them.

Ok, that's only the introduction. I'm about to turn a couple more today. The thing is, I'll be using wet or green wood. I harvested a walnut tree from my Dad's place last March and I slabbed it out in May sometime. It has been stickered under my deck since then. So I guess it's more "green" than "wet". What I need is some advice about stabilizing them once they have been turned.

When I use green or wet wood with bowls, I use the alcohol method to help stabilize the wood, with great success I might add. However, I don't think that process will work with my turned mill blanks. I read in one thread about freezing turned objects to help stabilize them. How well does that work, how long should they be in the freezer, should anything be done after they come out? If I put them in the freezer, should they be put in paper bag, plastic freezer bag, or without anything?

I use brush on spar urethane finish for my mills, well actually only the first one, and wonder if I don't do anything to stabilize the wood and put multiple coats on it what would the consequences be? Would doing that help stabilizing the wood, or would I still have a lot of movement?

Any suggestions on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Since the type of wood I discussed above is all I have (wet and or green) I need to be able to use this stuff without having to wait years, months or whatever. Hey, I'm getting up there and don't have a lot of time to waste (spare?):(

Anyway, I hope someone out there can give me some help.

Thanks.

John Hart
11-06-2005, 3:24 PM
Hi Blake,

Have you tried boiling? I took a recommendation and boiled some eucalyptus (which normally moves A LOT!) It worked very well. 45 minutes rolling boil. Don't know iffen it'd work on walnut though.

Kurt Aebi
11-07-2005, 9:46 AM
Blake,

I have done the Alky method for "flat" stuff (pen boxes) and it has worked, thus far. I just leave the piece a bit heavy (thick) like you do with a rough turned bowl. It seemed to work okay for me - it was with spalted ash and mineral stained yellow poplar (3/4" thick, 2" x 6"). If you have enough material, it would be worth a try. I, for one, would be interested in your results.

You could also try the microwave trick on it - I've never tried it myself, but some over at IAP, some people talk about it with good results for pen blanks.