PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Setup for Delta 14-inch Bandsaw

Nate Secrist
12-06-2017, 12:27 AM
Hi - I have a new-to-me 14-inch Delta Bandsaw - 28-203

I have another bandsaw for resawing so this 14-inch bandsaw will be used for curve cutting/scroll work.....

The saw seems to be tracking good.....

A couple of questions with respect to 1/4" & 1/8" blades

1/4-inch blades
How much tension? I set the gauge on the back of the saw to the 1/4" mark for tension and it doesn't seem very tight....
What are the recommendations for tensioning?
GUIDES - I have the roller guide behind the blade and cool blocks on either side of the blade - should I use these on a 1/4" blade?

1/8-inch blades
Would like to do smaller scroll work, although I realize this isn't a scroll saw
GUIDES - Use the cool blocks and roller guide with this blade?
Carter Stabilizer - about $75 - What is the consensus - is this a good bang for the buck, or can I get good performance with a 1/8" blade without using one?

Feel free to post links to articles on this - if there are ones out there - I have watched a few youtube videos but I am a bandsaw novice.

Thanks for your Help

Nate

Larry Frank
12-06-2017, 7:24 AM
I have a 16" Jet for resaw, Hegner Scroll Saw and a Rikon 10" bandsaw. The Rikon has the Carter Stabilizer on it and I use 3/16" blades on it. I do a lot of scroll saw work and toys and like the Stabilizer.

The 1/8" blade works fine with the Stabilizer but I find that it is easy to break one of the smaller blades. Sometimes it is easier for me to use the scroll saw with a larger blade rather than the band saw. It all depends on exactly what you are trying to make or do.