PDA

View Full Version : Highest paid woodworkers?

John Sincerbeaux
12-05-2017, 9:46 PM
Just a thought i had the other day. If you look at this metric; board foot vs. profit. Who makes the greatest profit from the board feet of wood? I belive using this metric, luthiers maybe the highest paid woodworkers? There are many luthiers who’s base price for a commissioned guitar starts at $30k. A custom guitar built by luthier Ervin Somogyi would start at $80k and thats just the start.
I dont know what cabinet makers make these days but i cant imagine they make thousands of dollars on a couple board feet of wood? In addition it is interesting to think the enormous inverse between space and equipment required to process the large amounts of board feet (cabinets) vs. building a high-end musical instrument.
This thread is by no means a rub on ANY pro woodworker. Just a fun and curious thought i had.

Merry Christmas

William A Johnston
12-05-2017, 9:51 PM
Wow,. I certainly picked the wrong wood working career.

Mike Heidrick
12-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Betting those luthiers who make $30-$80k don't identify as a woodworker.

Bill Dufour
12-05-2017, 11:04 PM
How about people who write stuff on a grain of rice?

Mel Fulks
12-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Docs that remove splinters.

Bill Dufour
12-05-2017, 11:08 PM
I bet the folks who made wooden heat shields for spacecraft earned a pretty penny.

John Sincerbeaux
12-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Betting those luthiers who make $30-$80k don't identify as a woodworker.

I wouldnt tell a luthier that. A talented luthier knows more about wood species, wood movement, joinery, engineering of wood structure and design than anyone here would ever care to know. And I didnt even mention “tone” which is why all the things i mentioned are so critical.

Andrew Joiner
12-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Wendell Castle get's my vote.

Yonak Hawkins
12-05-2017, 11:54 PM
..Perhaps the likes of Sam Maloof ?

Eric Van Cronk
12-06-2017, 12:04 AM
I bet a Greene & Greene chair rivals pretty much anything else per board foot cost.
At the end of the day, it’s just a chair (and a wise investment)

Mike Cutler
12-06-2017, 12:05 AM
Nicolai Medvedev.
His intarsia work, in both wood and stone, and the combination of the two, are featured in museums around the world. He is still alive producing work today.
You would have to be extremely wealthy to purchase his work.

Andrew Hughes
12-06-2017, 12:08 AM
+1 on Sam Maloof his Zircote Rocking chair is second to none.

Mike Cutler
12-06-2017, 12:08 AM
I wouldnt tell a luthier that. A talented luthier knows more about wood species, wood movement, joinery, engineering of wood structure and design than anyone here would ever care to know. And I didnt even mention “tone” which is why all the things i mentioned are so critical.

I'm thinking George Wilson, here on the forum, could converse quite easily with any luthier. ;)