PDA

View Full Version : I think we're gonna nab another one!

Carole Valentine
11-05-2005, 9:10 PM
John Whittaker (from the flat side) and his daughter, Lara, came by today to get my Omnijig. John was sort of drooling over the lathes. At lunch, he said that rather than have the lessons from a luthier for his birthday he thought he would rather have a lathe! I think we're gonna get him! :D
Really nice folks, I might add, as are most Creekers. I really enjoyed the visit and look forward to seeing John over here on the round side in the near future!

Andy Hoyt
11-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Carole - I'm replying simply because this message looked so lonely with that big zero under the reply column and that was just too sad a sight to let continue.

So - glad you had fun "turning him".

Carole Valentine
11-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Carole - I'm replying simply because this message looked so lonely with that big zero under the reply column and that was just too sad a sight to let continue.

So - glad you had fun "turning him".

LOL! Well thank you, Andy, but there wasn't really anything to reply to. I'm just betting we see him on the round side soon. John took some pics but I threatened him with his life if he posted them when he got back home.:D

Andy Hoyt
11-07-2005, 12:17 AM
John Whittaker! Calling John Whittaker. Pick up the white picture posting phone!

john whittaker
11-07-2005, 10:29 AM
I hear ya Andy...
I'm afraid it true. Even BEFORE my visit with Carole I spent more time viewing the pics of the work on this "round" side than on my straight side. I'm so impressed with the work you guys and gals do, and am drawn to the free art form and not being confined by straight lines. And scavenging for wood is also something I would enjoy. It's not gonna happen too soon but I'm sure round will be the shape of things in my future.....which is ashame because I'm trying to lose weight:o

As far as pics.....well, a promise is a promise but I thinks Carole wouldn't mine the attached. They were taken from the crows nest atop a seafood restaurant where we had lunch. If you look WAY in the background you can see a grove of trees....that's Carole's land. The Eastern Shore of VA is SPECTACULAR. Lara (daughter) & I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and traveled north past some of the most beautiful farm land you will ever see. The towns were small and intimate with a real down home feel. Every town we went through had a "Main Street" and the homes & property were absolutely beautiful. And just east of all this beauty was the ocean and salt marshes with all it's FISH. West lies the Bay with its marshes and FISH. (fishing is another passion of mine)

I'm sure all the regulars on this round forum already know this but Carole is a real treasure. She gave us a tour of her shop and home which were both out of my dreams. I got to meet her new gloat Jenny and her old Jet mini (Don't recall if mini had a name...probably Minnie?) And for the life of me can't remember her shop dogs name but she was the most loving pup you have ever seen. I'm sure she would be tops in the list of shop dogs posted in a recent "off topic" forum. No offense to the other pooches but there can only be one "top dog".;)

Her shop was nicely laid out and neat...but there were shaving on the floor which is the way it's supposed to be so all was right with the world. We were so impressed with Carole's work. I can't believe she is a self described "beginner". The form & finish of her work was as enjoyable to hold as it was to look at.

Anyway...Carole, you have already been a big help. Lara sent a message to LOML suggesting a lathe class for a B-day present.:D Thanks.....

We will always remember our first trip to the Eastern Shore because you made it memorable. Thanks for your hospitality.

Any woman who can bait her own hook is TOPS.

Andy Hoyt
11-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Yup. The DelMarVa penninsula is a great place. Years ago, my ship was homeported at the Norfolk Naval Station and whenever I felt the urge to go home for a visit I got to drive through this neck of the woods. Sure was peaceful.

And John. Now that you've posted in this forum we'll expect a continued presence, even if to update on your metamorphosis from flatlander to curvyturner.

Carole Valentine
11-07-2005, 5:18 PM
Uh...neat? My shop neat? Didn't you say had surgery so you don't have to wear glasses anymore, John? Are you sure the surgery took?:D
Glad you guys enjoyed the visit. I know I did. Let me know how you make out with that Omnijig. Sounds to me like you should move to the Shore when you retire...fishing, kayaking, more fishing, wood hunting, turning, peace and quiet, more fishing, more kayaking, more turning....:) Let us know when you get one of those spiny machines!
PS: Her name is Raven.

Chris Barton
11-08-2005, 7:37 AM
Sounds like it was a great visit Carole. Thanks for bringing another one over to the "dark side..."