PDA

View Full Version : Logout timeout

Gregg Mason
11-05-2005, 8:34 PM
Hi,

Is there a way I can change my automatic logout time ? I'm not sure what the default is, but I was typing a long post(OK I admit, sometimes it take me a while to get my thoughts together), and by the time I submitted it I was timed/logged out and lost everything I typed.

Is this something I can change or extend ?

Thanks for the help,

Gregg

Jim Becker
11-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I have never had the site "log me out"...and I use auto-logon to avoid having to do that each time I access the site. I'm wondering if your ISP is, umm...changing your IP address frequently or something.

Aaron Koehl
11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Gregg,

There is no auto-logout feature.. the only thing I can think of to duplicate that condition is either your IP address changed, or you clicked the LogOut link in another browser window, or your cookies were deleted/modified while you were typing the message. Is there a chance any of this happened?

Jamie Buxton
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm remembering that on dial-up access, Windows can decide to terminate a session if it sees that you are connected but haven't made accesses for a while. There should be a parameter someplace you can set which controls the time-out time.

Gregg Mason
11-07-2005, 8:06 PM
Gregg,

There is no auto-logout feature.. the only thing I can think of to duplicate that condition is either your IP address changed, or you clicked the LogOut link in another browser window, or your cookies were deleted/modified while you were typing the message. Is there a chance any of this happened?

Hmm, I'm not sure what it is then. I checked my cookie settings:
first party - accept
third party - accept
and always allow.

My ISP is verizon DSL. So no dial up, or time out issue.

I'll try to test it again, start a post and leave it open for 5 or 10 minutes.

Only other thing I can think of is to use the "remember me" option when I log in, but I think that will just keep it from deleting the cookies when I log off.

No big deal. If I cant figure it out, I'll just have to type faster. I'll let your know if I find anything.

Thanks,

Gregg

Michael Kellough
01-29-2013, 7:22 PM
Hi,

Is there a way I can change my automatic logout time ? I'm not sure what the default is, but I was typing a long post(OK I admit, sometimes it take me a while to get my thoughts together), and by the time I submitted it I was timed/logged out and lost everything I typed.

Is this something I can change or extend ?

Thanks for the help,

Gregg

Has anyone figured this out?

Just happened to me too. Guess I'll have to reply in some other program and paste it in here unless I can speed it up.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2013, 8:38 PM
Just my experience, but if you don't click the 'keep me logged in' button when logging in, you have about 10 to 15 minutes of inactivity before the site will kick you off.

Michael Kellough
01-30-2013, 2:09 PM
Just my experience, but if you don't click the 'keep me logged in' button when logging in, you have about 10 to 15 minutes of inactivity before the site will kick you off.

That sure sounds like an "automatic logout time". Is there no way for the user to adjust that?

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2013, 2:13 PM
Michael, to my knowledge, this is not a user adjustable feature. If you click the 'Remember Me' button when you go to log in, you will stay online. If you do not, then after 15 minutes or so of inactivity, you are no longer logged in.

Larry Whitlow
02-07-2013, 8:53 PM

I have the same experience all the time -- what I assumed was a auto log off. Happens when there is no activity but also while I am attempting to post (same problem as Gregg). If I take too long to create a post, I'm timed out. I'll try the "keep me logged in" button. Maybe that will do the trick.

Harry Hagan
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Michael, to my knowledge, this is not a user adjustable feature. If you click the 'Remember Me' button when you go to log in, you will stay online. If you do not, then after 15 minutes or so of inactivity, you are no longer logged in.

Mystery solved, I hope.

Sometimes I get interrupted, distracted, fall into a daze or whatever and discover that I’ve been logged-off when coming back to SMC. Now I’ll click “Remember Me” before I log on.

A button labeled “Keep Me Logged On” makes more sense to me.

Thanks for the tip, Steve.

Myk Rian
02-08-2013, 2:33 PM
A button labeled “Keep Me Logged On” makes more sense to me.
Then half the sites on the internet would have to change.
I never logout. Every time I come back, I'm always logged in.

Harry Hagan
02-08-2013, 3:12 PM
Then half the sites on the internet would have to change.
I never logout. Every time I come back, I'm always logged in.

Wow. So you're tying up SMC server resources "always"? Really? I'm thinking that's why some forums have auto log out provisions.

Earlier I couldn’t remember why I don’t check the “Remember Me?” box. It’s because I thought it was asking me if I wanted SMC to store my name and password like other sites do. Since I have software that does that, I haven’t used it. Now I’m thinking that might not make a difference.