PDA

View Full Version : What to Do With Maple Log I Can't Resaw?

Steve H Graham
12-04-2017, 5:35 PM
Hope this is the right area for this post.

Hurricane Irma left me with a lot of downed trees. Almost all are worthless live oaks. Good mainly for barbecue. At least one was a maple. It fell across my driveway, and before I knew what it was, I had cut up and burned most of it. Today I cut the base free from the stump, painted both ends to prevent checking, and stored it on concrete blocks. It's about seven feet long.

I felt like I needed to save it because it was free wood from a desirable tree. Then it occurred to me: there is no way I can resaw a 300-pound log.

What should I do with this thing? Maybe I should just burn it.

I wish live oak were useful. I have tons of it I would be happy to give to anyone who would haul it away.

daryl moses
12-04-2017, 7:13 PM
I doubt if anyone with a portable mill would want to go through the hassle of hauling their mill to you for one log, but I would imagine they would be more than willing to saw your log if you could take it to them.
A flat bed trailer would be ideal for transporting your log.

Peter Christensen
12-04-2017, 8:55 PM
I would make a bunch of wedges from the oak and split the log down the middle. Then if it was still too big to handle or your bandsaw too small, split it into quarters. Then you have wood you can play with. Read up on green woodworking and it will point the way.

Steve H Graham
12-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Splitting it may work. Thanks.