PDA

View Full Version : Shucks - my Jet Mini died?

Chip Sutherland
11-05-2005, 8:17 PM
Anybody ever report problems with Jet Mini's? I've been working all day on it. Suddenly stopped running or else the on/off switch is bad. I was just doing some hand sanding on the lathe. Flipped the switch and nada.
It's only 6 months old....

I already have a JWL 1442 reserved. Maybe it's an omen? :rolleyes:

Jim Ketron
11-05-2005, 8:46 PM
Unplug your lathe then take your switch apart and clean the contacts. Mine has done that before and the contacts was burned. use a fingernail file and it will get you back up and running.;)

Carole Valentine
11-05-2005, 9:03 PM
You did check your breakers in the main panel and the outlet? WOuld be nice if it were that simple, huh? :)

Chip Sutherland
11-05-2005, 9:15 PM
I have a spot lamp in the same connection. It works fine. I'm going to follow the suggestion to overhaul the switch. I'll have to clean the shop to find all the tools needed to do the switch. Guess I needed the down-time to get organized.

Randy Meijer
11-06-2005, 3:26 AM
You also need to contact the JET customer service people at:

www.jettools.com (http://www.jettools.com) .

They have a rep for being very helpful. If I remember correctly, my manual says there is a limited 2 year warranty. Sounds like a new switch might be in order even if you are able to clean up the old one!!

Richard Allen
11-06-2005, 9:25 AM
Yea Chris, the switch is one of the weak points on that lathe. You can replace the switch with a switch from Radio Shack.

Lee DeRaud
11-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Just to be clear, we're talking about the standard Jet Mini, not the variable-speed, yes? Might make a difference in the diagnosis.

(Might also make a difference in which one I buy, if it turns out the VS electronics are a problem area.)

Chip Sutherland
11-06-2005, 9:16 PM
When faced with the lathe and the cost of tools, I opted for the belt drive version to shift money to quality tools. I knew this machine was just my first one. Haven't regretted the decision at all.

Chip Sutherland
11-12-2005, 1:27 AM
Felt obligated to close the loop on this problem in case someone came across this thread. The total fix time was about 5 minutes. 2 screws loosened the switch. Figuring out how the switch cover was the hardest part. Once I popped it open the 2 contacts fell out into a pile of shavings. I cleaned them off and lessened (unbent) the curve in each. Touched up the contact points with some 6000 grit sand paper. Put everything back together. Presto....power.

Dare I mention that I was on phone call throughout the duration of the fix.

In reality, I may still replace/relocate the switch because when I lean over the bed, I often lean up against the switch inadvertantly turning off the lathe.

Randy Meijer
11-12-2005, 2:26 AM
....Touched up the contact points with some 6000 grit sand paper....

Is there an extra zero there or did you Mircomesh the contacts??

Ellen Benkin
11-12-2005, 12:55 PM
I would suggest following up with Jet and getting a new switch. If it's easy to replace they will probably send you one and you can keep it handy as a "spare" in case the problem arises again and you can'f fix it.

I'm sorry to read about this problem since I just bought a Mini Lathe and I really resent spending my woodworking time fixing the machinery. I'll hope I don't have a similar (or worse) problem with it.

Don Baer
11-12-2005, 1:44 PM
to clean electrical contacts. These contacts are coated with a nobel metal and the abrassive will remove that coating. When this coating is gone this will in time cause excessive arking and will likekly cause the contacts to weld together. You can get contact cleaner at many electrical stores or simply use a pencil eraser to clean them.

Chip Sutherland
11-12-2005, 6:47 PM
yep, there's an extra zero....It was way past my bedtime. The contacts looked fine. I just followed the suggestion from this thread. The problem, IMO, was the contacts were bent and didn't make...er...contact.

Randy Meijer
11-13-2005, 2:03 AM
[quote=Don Baer]....These contacts are coated with a nobel metal and the abrassive will remove that coating. When this coating is gone this will in time cause excessive arking and will likekly cause the contacts to weld together....

Another good reason to contact(:D ) JET about a new switch if the warranty is still in effect. Were you to have to buy a new switch, I bet it would run $20!!