PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Arrowmont

Dr. Zack Jennings
06-25-2003, 8:46 AM
I'm in the Smoky Mountains for 2 weeks. I turned my first spindle on Monday and my first bowl on Tuesday. We do a platter today and progress to Hollow Vessels by next Monday. Saturday is a field trip into the dark forest for tree identification and discussions on harvesting turning wood, burls etc.

I highly recommend this school. The setting is peacefull, @50 degrees in the morning and highs @ 80. The food is great in the schools dining hall.

I'm taking lots of photos but will have to wait until I retun home. I can't load my photos on the schools PC. They have 2 computers in the library with DSL connects. They have every periodical known including the AAW magazine. The AAW was concieved in this very room.

You can work from 7AM till 11PM. My lathe is a Poolewood. There are 16 lathes including 2 OneWays & 2 Stubbys. I doubt there are more than 3 or 4 schools in the country on this level & none that exceed this one.

I'll check in later to respond to any replies. I miss you guys.......Arrowmont.org (http://www.arrowmont.org)

Bobby Hatfield
06-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Hey Zack, enjoy the course and the weather, it turned warm and humid here over the weekend. I guess there is a planned drive up to Cades Cove during the stay ? Clingmans Dome and a little side trip over to Cherokee is nice too. That Harley got good brakes, over the top and its a little steep going down, so watch it.

Scott Greaves
06-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Zack!

Two weeks at Arrowmont! You lucky dog! When you're done, maybe you can come give me lessons! :p

It sounds likeyou are having a blast! Who is the instructor? I can hardly wait to see pictures of what you bring home!

Scott.

Tom Sweeney
06-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Have lots of fun & definately post some pics when you get back home - Did you really take the Harley?

Dan Bussiere
06-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Looking forward to the pics and review when you return. We'll miss your post till then!
Dan

Ron McNeil
06-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Zack,

Wow! two weeks at Arrowmount sounds just like what the Dr. ordered.

I think thats what I need to do. Maybe someday. Zack I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get back. Man to be making sawdust during the day and touring the mountains on the Harley in the evenings. What a life. Enjoy

Dr. Zack Jennings
06-25-2003, 12:52 PM
WOW! Five responses already. The Instructor is Wayne Shipman from Walnut Creek, California. The assistant is Dr. Jack Rule, a retired Opthomologist from Knoxville. Wayne has a fulltime woodturning studio. Both Wayne & Jack have been regulars at Arrowmont for years and taken classes here from Ellsworth, Nish etc. The level of instruction is excellent.

I arrived on Saturday @ 6PM in my PT Cruiser and draggin' my Harley on a neat 1 rail trailer that folds up to stand vertically against a wall for storage.

I took the car to Cades Cove early Sunday morning because my Harley gets ill tempered with stop & go traffic. I've seen Wild Turkeys ( Hens up close and 2 big Gobblers sunning at a distance) and lots of deer. The bucks are already putting on horns (in Velvet) and I've seen some people looking at a Black Bear. I said "What are you looking at?" and they said "A Black Bear" and I said "Where"? and they said "Right There". I said "O.K." and "I see it." but I lied. I have seen bears on other trips.

I have found some back ways around to avoid some of the traffic and enjoyed a number of "Bike" rides. I plan to travel over the mountains this weekend. I went half way to the top last night after dinner. There are awesome views that photos won't do justice to. My favorite shots (photographs) are going to be class projects, log cabins, mountain streams and wood turnings in the galleries. There's art on display everywhere, inside and outside every building.

Ooops................ Time to make sawdust....BYE!

Update I saw a male Bear on Wednesday crossing the road. My trip is complete.

David Blangger
06-25-2003, 2:38 PM
I suppose the rain isn't where you are. Not to humid so your bowl shouldn't have much movement other than spinning :D

Enjoy your trip...can't wait for the pictures.

David

Von Bickley
06-26-2003, 4:42 PM
Hey Dr. Zack,
I know you are enjoying this trip. You might want to take that Harley on a spin through the "Craft Community" or "Indian Orchard Trail" that starts at the end of Airport Road. You will find some old homesteads and barns that will make you some good photos.
In case you don't know, Airport Road is the street beside the space needle.