PDA

View Full Version : Handrail Router at Work;

Richard Wolf
11-05-2005, 7:38 PM
This is the first chance I have gotten to take some pics. of the handrail router. In the first two pictures you can see that the handrail is curved but also changes pitch. This is an impossible situation to use bending rail,(it will only bend in one direction) so I make a lamination which I can bend and bandsaw it to the correct pitch.

The piece which must be routered is sandwiched between the top section, which is bending rail and the volute at the bottom of the stairs.

This blanks must be the correct size of the finished rail and finished shape. I use a curved sole electric planer for most of the work followed by belt sanders and RO.

The handrail router is than clamped to the rail blank and adjusted to make three passes to complete the profile of the rail.

It works like it should and I will have pictures of the completed job in a few days. Sure am looking forward to getting this one done.

Richard

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2005, 7:41 PM
That is awesome Richard. Thanks for posting and keep posting because I really enjoy the pictures.

Andy Hoyt
11-05-2005, 8:05 PM
Richard - Looks great and intensely complicated. Congrats.

In the first picture the rail changes pitch (as you mentioned). I'm curious to know why it does and why so noticeably. I would think that with a consistent riser and tread combination at the outside radii that the pitch would be constant.

Richard Wolf
11-05-2005, 8:20 PM
Richard -

In the first picture the rail changes pitch (as you mentioned). I'm curious to know why it does and why so noticeably. I would think that with a consistent riser and tread combination at the outside radii that the pitch would be constant.
Andy, if you notice in the thrid picture, the bottom two treads turn back to the outside and also are very narrow compared to the rest of the treads which are about 15" on the outside. The change in run (tread width) is what causes the change in pitch. I will have better pictures of that detail in a few days.
Thanks.

Richard

P.S. I also added another pic below, maybe it is clearer.

Andy Hoyt
11-05-2005, 8:33 PM
Makes sense now. Thanks.

Dan Oliphant
11-05-2005, 8:55 PM
Richard,
I think you take a complex process and make it look quite simple. you are indeed a craftsmen. Like others have said, sure like peeking over your shoulder through these pics.

Todd Davidson
11-05-2005, 9:20 PM
Awesome Richard. And, as always, a pleasure to see your work.

Dan Larson
11-06-2005, 12:49 AM
I wonder, Richard, how many of your customers have a clue as to the high level of craftmanship required to excel at the jobs that you take on? I think your customers are pretty lucky to have you on the job, whether they know it or not.

Dan

Karl Laustrup
11-06-2005, 6:43 AM
I wonder, Richard, how many of your customers have a clue as to the high level of craftmanship required to excel at the jobs that you take on? I think your customers are pretty lucky to have you on the job, whether they know it or not.

Dan

Dan, you hit that on the head. In this day and age, I think that most people think that something like that comes in a box or trees grow like that and all a person has to do is install it.

Richard, thanks for the look into what it takes to make a staircase and rail. I really enjoy the pix and look forward to the finished product.

Karl

John Hart
11-06-2005, 6:53 AM
Richard, I developed an awe and appreciation for the work you do many years ago in Hawaii when I helped on the renovation of an old home. The guys there did the same type of style that you are picturing here. (They did their staircase in Koa) It was inspiring then....as your work is inspiring now! Beautiful!!

Ian Barley
11-06-2005, 7:09 AM
Richard

Fascinating - thanks for sharing. I'm glad that the router has earned the ultimate acolade fro any pro tool - "It works like it should".

Over here we have a requirement in building regulations ("code") that the spindles have to be spaced such that a 6" sphere will not pass through at any point. Do you have the same kind of requirements?

tod evans
11-06-2005, 7:42 AM
nice job! do you bend your own strings?

Richard Wolf
11-06-2005, 8:55 AM
Thanks all for your kind words, it always is appreciated.

Dan, A job of this size and scope is almost like putting on a show. It develops in front of the customers eyes, and I have been doing this so long that I can make it look easy, and almost out of nowhere a beautiful balustrade evoles. Sometimes they are put off with the original price quote, but after see the "show" there is seldom any unsatisfied customers in the end.
I hope that didn't sound to hoky.

Ian, Building codes in the States requires that a 4" ball can not pass between the balusters. The steps only have the first bulaster on at the time of the pics, another to follow, and four balusters per step on the outside stringer.

Tod, I do bend the stringers myself, but I did not build these stairs. I would rather just install rails if it's my choice.

Thanks again to all.

Richard

Paul B. Cresti
11-06-2005, 9:24 AM
Richard,
I have to say that what you do is not woodworking it is an ART! You have to be a special person in order to "see" the forms in 3d before they happen. Not everyone can do that and you definately fall into the CAN camp. Heck I know plenty of fellow "Architects" that can even do it

Steve Clardy
11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Looking good Richard!!!
Waiting on the finished pics.

Chris Pasko
11-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Thats awesome Richard, keep up the good work.

Dan Forman
11-06-2005, 2:21 PM
Fascinating and enlightening post. You do beautiful work.

Dan

Christian Aufreiter
11-06-2005, 4:46 PM
Hi Richard,

thanks for the great pics and this interesting report.
Did you know that there's also an electric sander with a curved sole (http://virutex.com/catalog/i58.html)?

Regards,

Christian

Richard Wolf
11-06-2005, 4:50 PM
Did you know that there's also an electric sander with a curved sole (http://virutex.com/catalog/i58.html)?
Christian

Thanks Christian, yes I do know about it and it's on my wish list.

Richard

Jason Roehl
11-06-2005, 7:09 PM
Over here we have a requirement in building regulations ("code") that the spindles have to be spaced such that a 6" sphere will not pass through at any point. Do you have the same kind of requirements?

As far as I know, Ian (I have finished quite a few stairways, but not constructed many), the code requirement used to be 6" a number of years ago, but is now 4", using the sphere test as you do.

On edit: oops, I sped-read to fast and missed Richard's response. Hey, it's Sunday.