PDA

View Full Version : Creekers & Sam Maloof

Don Baer
11-05-2005, 7:28 PM
I just got back from spending the day with a few creekers and Sam Maloof in his shop. The man is remarkable to say the least. In attendance were Mark and Ryan Singer, Lee DeRaud, John Scarpa, Andrew Ault and Yours truly. I'll post some picture and I am sure that when they get time the rest of the Crekkers who were there will add to it. The day was well worth the expense. Sam took us through building a chair as well as a small table. the day included lunch with Sam and his wife and tours of both the old house and the new house. Sam has the most remarkable stash of raw material that I have ever seen. I would estimate that he has well over a million board feet of wood stored in several building. His stash include some large slabs. He had a solid piece of 8/4 Walnut that was easily 24 ft by 8 feet that he is making a table out of for a client. there was a piece of 4/4 Bubinga that was easily 12 feet long by 5 feet wide.

Don Baer
11-05-2005, 7:31 PM
More pictures for your enjoyment

Don Baer
11-05-2005, 7:33 PM
last two pictures. Mark Singer has a group picture with several creekers. Lee DeRaud left before we could get the group picture.

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2005, 7:39 PM
Excellent pictures Don. Thanks for sharing.

Richard Wolf
11-05-2005, 7:44 PM
Must have been a great day. Did it humble you or provide inspuration?

Richard

Jim Becker
11-05-2005, 7:59 PM
Wow, looks like it was a great time. Of course, I'm sure you all noticed that Sam "has his methods" when working with the bandsaws and routers!! I also see he puts his Adjust-A-Bench to good use! The stairs remind me of those in the Warton Esherick house.

Dan Forman
11-05-2005, 8:07 PM
Looks like a grand time was had by all.

Dan

Don Baer
11-05-2005, 8:18 PM
Must have been a great day. Did it humble you or provide inspuration?

Richard

Both.
Richard you would have realy liked the spiral staircase. The railing is made out of bent laminations.

Lee DeRaud
11-05-2005, 8:21 PM
Lee DeRaud left before we could get the group picture.Sorry about that!:o

When Mark posts his pictures, I'll be in the background of the shots of Sam doing "bandsaw magic". Just look for the stunningly handsome dude in the Santana tshirt.:cool: :p

Don Baer
11-05-2005, 8:22 PM
Wow, looks like it was a great time. Of course, I'm sure you all noticed that Sam "has his methods" when working with the bandsaws and routers!!

He kept reminding us not to do what he was doing.;)

I also see he puts his Adjust-A-Bench to good use! The stairs remind me of those in the Warton Esherick house.

He said he realy likes the bench.

Doug Shepard
11-05-2005, 8:56 PM
Looks like a very cool way to spend a Saturday. So how does one of these little get-togethers happen anyway? If I just show up at Sam's door hoping to be let in for a look-see, will that work? Or is that considered stalking in CA ?

Lee DeRaud
11-05-2005, 9:01 PM
Looks like a very cool way to spend a Saturday. So how does one of these little get-togethers happen anyway? If I just show up at Sam's door hoping to be let in for a look-see, will that work? Or is that considered stalking in CA ?This was a class given through UC Riverside Extension, but they also have tours of the house/museum every Thursday and Saturday.

Lee DeRaud
11-05-2005, 9:08 PM
A couple pictures off my camera...
The master at work:25620
Sam and the Singers:25621
John Scarpa and Don Baer:25619
(I don't seem to have any pictures of Andrew...I think he was sitting directly behind me the whole time.)
A couple pictures of the famous spiral stairs:2562225623

Mark Singer
11-05-2005, 9:15 PM
Don,
Great shots! We had a great and memorable day! Sam is in great shape!!!!
What is amazing to me is he is so into his woodworking, he didn't know what brand of bandsaw blades he was using.... He had a MiniMax FS 41 ...I asked how do you like the Jointer/ planer....he said ..I don't know what brand it is ....but it is very good.....no measurements , he does everything by eye...I will post my photos tomorrow...I have a party to run to...

Andrew Ault
11-05-2005, 10:23 PM
It was fun and I learned a good deal.

The creek guys were great and I enjoyed everyone's company.

Sam Maloof was incredibly generous with his time and even allowed us to tour his house. The most incredible part was watching him work. I expected greatness, was I could not expect the facility and ease that he showed in quickly tranforming walnut into sculpture...with tight joints. He was constaning asking us to ask any question that he would like to. I cannot believe that he is ninety years old. He is quick, strong and present with joy in his eyes.

His tools are both common and extraordinary. He uses a yellow pencil to mark pieces and as a guage to check widths. The pencil line is used to deliniate design elements that are then quickly transformed into form. His huge bandsaw is his main instrument. He gacefully cuts sweeping arcs in the wood...arc after arc, each building on the last, efficiently revealing his intended shape. A piece is test fitted, marked with his pencil and then adjusted at the bandsaw. This was repeated two or three times and the joint was done, to be banged into place with a clawfoot hammer or a deadblow mallet (depending on what was handy, it would seem).

Sam Maloof is disarming, friendly, generous and at ease. He does exactly what he likes to do and apparently that is the fountain of youth and a source for a font of art and craftsmanship. When (woodworker) Jimmy Carter names Sam Maloof the finest woodworker alive, he is not exagerating, just relating his what he knows.

Thank-you everyone for a wonderful day.

- Andy

Don Baer
11-05-2005, 10:38 PM
It was fun and I learned a good deal.

The creek guys were great and I enjoyed everyone's company.

Thank-you everyone for a wonderful day.

- Andy

Hey Andy,
Don't forget the $1.99 Huevos Rancheros for breakfast...:D

Andrew Ault
11-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Si Senor! Muy bueno!

Thanks for the meet-up plan, Don. Best $2 breakfast around.

- Andy

Andrew Ault
11-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Oh yeah,

Watching Sam using a router one handed is a sight to behold.

Holy cow!

Dan Larson
11-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for sharing, guys! The pictures and commentary are a wonderful escape from this cold and rainy Wisconsin night. I wish that I could have been there...

Dan

Don Baer
11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks for sharing, guys! The pictures and commentary are a wonderful escape from this cold and rainy Wisconsin night. I wish that I could have been there...

Dan

Dan,
People come from all over the country to go to this workshop. There was a guy there from virgina or Tenn, or one of those states.

Mark Singer
11-06-2005, 12:21 AM

2563125629We had a great time!!!

Dan Larson
11-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Dan,
People come from all over the country to go to this workshop. There was a guy there from virgina or Tenn, or one of those states.

Yeah, I really need to get on the ball and plan a woodworking/architecture pilgramage to SoCal sometime soon. The touring the Getty Museum, Gamble House, catching a concert at Disney Hall, and taking a stroll through the Oak Knoll neighborhood in Pasadena are also on my wish list. My wife is not a woodworker but I think she would also appreciate what Mr. Maloof has to offer.

Lee DeRaud
11-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I really need to get on the ball and plan a woodworking/architecture pilgramage to SoCal sometime soon. The touring the Getty Museum, Gamble House, catching a concert at Disney Hall, and taking a stroll through the Oak Knoll neighborhood in Pasadena are also on my wish list. My wife is not a woodworker but I think she would also appreciate what Mr. Maloof has to offer.Pretty sure she'd like the "regular" Maloof house tour then: it's an amazing place.

Mark Singer
11-06-2005, 1:13 AM

25637Here are some more pics...Maloof making a chair..25632

Joe Mioux
11-06-2005, 1:20 AM
Wow,

Seeing all of you CA guys, with Mr. Maloof is truly inspiring. All of you went to this "class" to learn and that speaks volumes for your enthusiasm for woodworking.

One of my former design instructors told me once that you are never too good to learn something from someone else. So when the opportunity arises to see and participate in a demonstration, just do it.

Thanks for these really great pics

Joe

Mark Singer
11-06-2005, 1:23 AM
Wow,

Seeing all of you CA guys, with Mr. Maloof is truly inspiring. All of you went to this "class" to learn and that speaks volumes for your enthusiasm for woodworking.

One of my former design instructors told me once that you are never too good to learn something from someone else. So when the opportunity arises to see and participate in a demonstration, just do it.

Thanks for these really great pics

Joe

It would be impossible to find someone that couldn't learn from Sam!

Karl Laustrup
11-06-2005, 6:34 AM
Thanks for the pix and the commentary guys. I'm a little green with envy here in soggy Wisconsin. Or maybe that's mold. ;)

So glad that several of you got pictures. Perhaps next time a vid camera, so that my jaw could drop as Mr. Maloof handles a router with one hand while holding the wood with the other. :eek: I barely manage with two hands on the router.

The staircase is remarkable. Perhaps, Spring, you should rethink your stairway and fashion a Maloof stairway? ;) :D

Thanks again guys for allowing us the oportunity to vicariously enjoy your experience. :)

Karl

Alan Turner
11-06-2005, 7:20 AM
I am a bit jealous. Wonderful day, it seems. I too thought of the Esherick home when I saw that staircase. Wonder if our Mr. Wolf has ever done one of those.

Mike Cutler
11-06-2005, 7:42 AM
Thanks for sharing your day with us fella's, it looks like's everyone had a great time.

I've read thru some of the books and magazines that feature Sam, and Mark is correct in stating that no one could not learn from Sam Maloof. His work is unique.
That one handed router technique leaves me green with envy. I realize it's a little unorthodox, but what a great time saver it must be.
As an observation, Sam is in great shape! WOW! I hope I'm in that kinda shape at his age.
Alright fella's, so when are you going to the College of the Redwoods for us? Oh yeah, and we need a tour of the Gambel House;) :D

Rich Konopka
11-06-2005, 7:48 AM
Priceless !!

Mark Singer
11-06-2005, 8:26 AM
Maloof is still so excited about his work....it is amazing! He works 6 days a week making furniture. He still does all the rough shaping using the bandsaw and rasps...he does all the assembly of every piece. His three helpers do the finer shaping, "hardline" and finishing which takes about 3 weeks on a chair. Sam drives a Porsche....and had it up to 135 MPH....his wife says he is a great driver and never worries about him...I really need to do that when I am 90 !

Sam said he really hasn't worked in 60 years! He never considered what he does as work, because he loves it! " Not many people can say that they really love their work" That is truly amazing after all these years...he still so excited and it comes through in has conversation..... It makes me think of my signature..."All great work starts with love....then it is no longer work"....for Sam it is his life and his fountain of youth

Gail O'Rourke
11-06-2005, 8:35 AM
Wow, that is really amazing. If someone could post a link to his schedule, I would appreciate it. Looks like a once in a lifetime day.

Richard Wolf
11-06-2005, 8:38 AM
I too thought of the Esherick home when I saw that staircase. Wonder if our Mr. Wolf has ever done one of those.

Allen, One must know his limitations!

Richard

tod evans
11-06-2005, 8:45 AM
i`m green with envy! glad everyone had a good time. tod

Mark Singer
11-06-2005, 9:54 AM
In one of the videos we watched, it starts out with Sam telling a story about getting a call many years ago from a client asking how he is coming with the rocking chair he order 18 months ago....the man explained that he was in his mid 70's and would like to have the chair before he dies....

Now he gets calls like "Sam I know you are almost 90 ...I would like my chair finished before you die"...

Sam said..."I liked it the other way around"

Lee DeRaud
11-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow, that is really amazing. If someone could post a link to his schedule, I would appreciate it. Looks like a once in a lifetime day.This thing was offered through UCR Extension: http://www.extension.ucr.edu/. I think they said it's offered about once a quarter (semester?), i.e. 3-4 times a year depending on Sam's other travel.

The normal tours and stuff are handled by his foundation: http://www.malooffoundation.org/maloofindex.cfm

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2005, 10:24 AM
That is amazing Mark. Looks like everyone had a good time.

Timo Christ
11-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the pictures, i saved them all. Maloof is an idol, the Master of the Bandsaw. :)
No measurements... ;) i would love to work that way. But i can or do it only on shop projects..
Timo

Jeff Sudmeier
11-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Congrats to all!! Looks like you all had a great time!! I hope that you all learned a lot as I am sure you did! :)

John Miliunas
11-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Hey, I think I finally figured out what I've been doing wrong all these years: I measure everything!!!:eek:

Like I've said so many times on this forum, so many people here have more talent in their little finger than I do in my whole being and I believe you guys had the pleasure of experiencing the Master of that notion!!!:) Thanks so much for sharing the time you had and the pictures, of what appears a truly magnificent, almost magical moment! I'm sure all of you will carry this experience for many years, if not all of your life!:) :cool:

John Scarpa
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
It truly was an amazing day. At one point Sam lifted one of his chairs over his head and walked to the front of his shop with it. At another he stepped up onto the rough form of a rocker, the bottom piece the chair rests on and balanced himself with one foot on each side with his hands on benches for support. He was demonstrating the strength of the bent laminations. This man is in incredible shape! When he works he can be in constant motion bending down, running wood through his bandsaw and vigorously using that rasp, a favorite tool.

Speaking of his nicklson rasps, I asked him at one point if her ever used a spokeshave. He said he hadn't used one in awhile and prompty went to his tool cabinet to get one. He tool a few shavings off with it and tossed it aside. It wasn't fast enough for Sam. That got a chuckle from all of us. He mentioned several times that you have to work fast if you want to make a living in crafts.

Sam is one of those rare, genuine, unassuming, human beings whose company you just can't get enough of. Sam speaks lovingly of his wife Freda that past some years ago often. She is the one responsible for his staying in the business when he was ready to toss it in on more than one ocassion. He also speaks fondily of the "boys" that have come to work for him over the years and have stayed with him for decades. They speak fondily of him as well. Sam is not just a master of his craft. He is a master at living life to the fullest.

John, you are correct in mentioning that it was a magical moment. Being in Sam's shop, touching his tools and speaking with him is a rare opportunity. IF you can... Do IT! :)

Meeting fellow Creekers was a big bonus!

John

Don Baer
11-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I am a bit jealous. Wonderful day, it seems. I too thought of the Esherick home when I saw that staircase. Wonder if our Mr. Wolf has ever done one of those.

Sam built a couple of those stair cases. He was very gracious in explaining how he makes them. The one that Lee showed was in the New house. The one I have in my last picture is in the old house. He starts out with a 3" piece of pipe for the center and puts the treads onto the pipe. When he has the first two treads in place he screws a big lag bolt from the second one into the first on. He repeats this until all of the tread are in place. Then he puts the post onto the treads, wraps the laminations onto the posts and clamps and glues them into place.

Oh and I didn't see any Bessey clamps anywhere in his shop.

Mark Singer
11-06-2005, 1:17 PM
Sam built a couple of those stair cases. He was very gracious in explaining how he makes them. The one that Lee showed was in the New house. The one I have in my last picture is in the old house. He starts out with a 3" piece of pipe for the center and puts the treads onto the pipe. When he has the first two treads in place he screws a big lag bolt from the second one into the first on. He repeats this until all of the tread are in place. Then he puts the post onto the treads, wraps the laminations onto the posts and clamps and glues them into place.

Oh and I didn't see any Bessey clamps anywhere in his shop.

No Euro saw either....

Lee DeRaud
11-06-2005, 1:31 PM
One question that's been rattling around in my head is, what's the ultimate fate of that wood collection? Unless my back-of-the-envelope calculation is way off, there's something like a 100 year supply stashed away there.

Kent Parker
11-06-2005, 1:43 PM
Great post Don! Thanks for the photos. Sam forms have always been an insiration.
I bet he does't fuss too much about whether his joiner is flat within
.001". ;)
I really like his band saw table. He must be extremely focused on the process of his creation rather than on the "ideal" environment in which to create. Least we not forget it is not the shop that creates the product.....

Lee, thanks for the web site to the UC schedual. Next day with Sam is in Feb. I think I'll sign up.

Thanks again

Kent

Earl Reid
11-06-2005, 1:53 PM
I will agree with all the remarks about Sam. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Sam in Dec 2001 in Washington DC, He is a remarkable man, that I have respected for many years.
Earl

John Miliunas
11-06-2005, 2:34 PM
While I doubt very, very much I'll ever have the opportunity to meet the man in person, much less to spend the day in his shop with such an esteemed bunch of Creekers, I can "brag" about meeting and being friends with one of his students. Ed Wohl, (http://www.edwardwohl.com/index.html) a local WW artisan, just outside of Spring Green, studied under Sam and later, spent an entire summer working side by side with the man in his younger years! :) Must be something about the renowned WW's which, it seems, makes them just so easy to expound a sincere enthusiasm about their craft. From all you guys have described about Sam, with his skills and energy and zest for life, I can see so much of it in Ed Wohl, as well. Ed, who is not a "spring chicken" himself, is currently in the process of building a tennis court in his own yard!:D He just installed a great spray booth at his own shop, so that he can have full control over the entire process, whereas before, he would farm that part of the work out. Always looking to learn and share and, always wearing a smile.:) True, there have been some great Masters in the past but, we certainly have some present day craftsman who easily fit that mold!:) :cool:

Don Baer
11-06-2005, 6:40 PM
One question that's been rattling around in my head is, what's the ultimate fate of that wood collection? Unless my back-of-the-envelope calculation is way off, there's something like a 100 year supply stashed away there.

Well ya know Lee that I would be glad to drive over and relieve him of any surplus that he may have..:D

I'm sure he wouldn't miss a couple of hundred board feet.
:)

woudn't it be nice to beable to walk out the door to your shop and just pickup what you need no matter how big the project is..

Paul Comi
11-07-2005, 1:08 AM
I am going to take a similar visit with some Woodnet guys from around So Calif and I'm really looking forward to it. Seeing the pictures and hearing what you guys had to say really gets me excited.

Paul Comi
12-04-2005, 4:30 PM
I went with 15 people on a shop tour yesterday and all I can say is what a nice guy Sam Maloof is. We paid $25 to get a 3 hour tour and he ended up sitting with several of us for over 30 mins talking about woodworking, his life and his approach. I hope that he continues his work pace. I think its keeping him young in the mind and body and I hope woodworking does the same for me as I get up in years. He is turning 90 next month and they're celebrating his birthday and breaking ground for a meeting hall building on January 22nd. If you're in the So Calif area, it should be good considering the number of people who know the man and his work. Oh, also if you get weak in the heart seeing nice lumber in the rough be prepared. The man has 3 wood storage buildings stocked to the roof with planks of walnut, zircote and other hardwoods ranging all the way up to 4" thick and most I saw are well over 8" wide. He must have a fortune in wood on site and considering that he and his 3 helpers build 50-60 chairs per year I'll bet he uses a lot of it. As someone who is still building mostly out of poplar and mdf its hard to imagine working with wood that costs $100 bf.

Don Baer
12-04-2005, 5:36 PM
Paul

Glad you guys had a great tour. Your are so right about Sam. He is a wonderful open person. You might consider the next Workshop comming up in Early Feb. He is such a great teacher. I was planning on attending the ground breaking but unfortunatly I'll be out of town.

Paul Comi
12-04-2005, 5:57 PM
Can you send me a PM about the details?

Don Baer
12-04-2005, 9:06 PM
Paul
I'll post it here in case other creekers want to go also.

The course is offered through UC Riverside and is held once per quarter. The fee is $160.

Here is a link to sign up.

http://138.23.217.138/cgi-bin/catalog/get_data.pl?function=cls_d&quarter=&dept=&prog=&crs=GEN%20%20%20%20%208288%20%20&keyword=Maloof

Good luck and have fun makinf sawdust.

Mike Henderson
12-05-2005, 1:31 AM
Our woodworking club took a tour of Sam's place last year. If you'd like to see a few more pictures of Sam's workshop, with a lot of pictures of the club people, go to http://members.cox.net/norma.henderson/SamMaloofvisit.htm

It was a great visit with a lot of good stories. Some of the best were related by Roz, Sam's business manager. One was about Sam buying wood. Roz told the story this way:

"Sam gets a call from the local lumberyard who has supplied him with lumber for 50 years, saying that they just got a bunch of really nice walnut. Sam always replies the same way. He says, 'Roz won't let me buy any more wood.' Of course, I can't tell Sam what to do."

"They talk some more and finally Sam says, 'Send me a sample and I'll look at it.' Some time later, a truck drives up and deposits a load of walnut, not a sample, AND SAM KEEPS IT!"

If I recall properly, Sam now gets $20K for a rocker. I asked Roz how many rockers Sam builds in a year. Roz's reply was succinct and very business managerish, "Not Enough!" She did check and I think they had made about 30 rockers up through September in 2004 - so that was $600K just in rockers.

Others have commented upon this but Sam has a genuine warmth that comes through very clearly. I think this may have been one of the things which really helped him succeed - he's so darn likeable that people probably went out of their way to help him early in his career.

Mike