PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for new Delta/Rockwell 28-350 bandsaw

cody michael
12-01-2017, 3:51 PM
I just picked up a new to me bandsaw.

Space is a concern with the foot print already being large, but I would like have it mobile. I have some 1/4 4x4 angle iron, my plan is to put 2 rigid casters on the right, in line with the blade. on the left use 2 swivel/locking casters. does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike Manning
12-01-2017, 4:26 PM
No thoughts on the mobile base but I'm liking your new BS! I can't say I have a use for a big BS like this but the desire is sure there especially being a Delta OWWM guy. Looks like it has been well taken care of. Congrats!

Carroll Courtney
12-01-2017, 6:56 PM
I have a PM87 which is the metal cutting BS but the base would be just about the same as your Delta.I use some 2"x3"X1/4 angle but on the seams or where there were angle iron joints I but some gussets for added strength.Post some pics of your progress,we love to follow along---Carroll

cody michael
12-01-2017, 9:04 PM
Thank you for the pics that is similar to me idea, except I want to put the wheels towards the user and away from the user rather then extending right and left

It looks nice so far. I just hooked it up to my vfd and it seems to run well needs some tlc but nothing major.

Rod Sheridan
12-03-2017, 3:18 PM
I would suggest a semi-live skid design with wheels instead of casters.

Works much better, lower cost and very stable.......Regards, Rod.

Marc Jeske
12-03-2017, 3:43 PM
Also, I put ALL swivel on my machine bases, way better for moving around tight places.

The only place to use 2 fix/ 2 swivel, is on something that is normally moved long straight distances, like a cart down a long hallway.

Marc